Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You will give me £150 because I'm so obviously above you.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You will give me £150 because I'm so obviously above you.

Don't you just hate it when smug-ass, snobby bastards think they're above you?

I do. Especially when they try to 'scare' you with the 'I'm telling your manager!' routine.

I used to work at a well-known PC superstore. Which has the misfortune of being one of those shops constantly full of ignorant, fussy, smug customers. I used to work on the camera counter.

Now in this store, a price match is offered if the customer has seen the product cheaper elsewhere within 5 miles. If they claim (which they often do) 'But it's cheaper in Staples!!' (Why the fuck are you shopping HERE then if Staples is just across the road?), a staff member can phone the other store, confirm that the product is in fact cheaper, and if so, take money off. And everyone's happy.

Well, not ALL the time.

One day I was stood at my counter when this guy came up. You could tell by the look on his face that he was going to be trouble. Kind of snooty-looking. Some sucky customers just have 'those faces'.

SC: 'Hello. I'm looking at your projectors and I'd like that one [*points to a £500 projector on display*]. But I've seen it on the internet for £350 and so I'd like you to do a price match.'
    Me: 'Um, I'm sorry, we can only do price matches in stores. Within 5 miles. Unfortunately we don't offer internet price-matches.'
    SC: 'Then why not? If it's cheaper elsewhere, then I should have it at the lowest price.'
    Me: 'Not necessarily. Internet prices are often extremely low. If we offered internet price matches we'd lose a LOT of money. I can't just give you £150 off a projector.'

After politely explaining why it's just completely impossible for a shop to offer internet price-matches, he just looked down at my name badge, smirked, and said slowly...

SC: 'I'd like to have a word with your manager.'
    Me: 'Certainly.'

By now I was irate as I cannot ABIDE people thinking that they are above store assistants (especially the business customers. 'But I am a BUSINESS CUSTOMER! you MUST bow down at my feet!') but I managed to smile at him theatrically until my manager came out.

I stood by them the whole time and my manager said the exact same thing (no) and explained exactly how I did why we cannot just give people £150 off items just because it's cheaper online.

I made sure to grin and wave at him as he left angrily.

Seriously. If it's cheaper online...BUY IT ONLINE!

why do i have a feeling he wanted to make a complaint about you too?

Comment

Quoth journochick View Post
      Seriously. If it's cheaper online...BUY IT ONLINE!
      "But, but, If I buy it online, if I buy it online I have to WAAAAAIIIIITTTTTT for it and I want it nownowNOW!."

And, of course, if they buy it online, they can't piss all over the "help."
      I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
        "But, but, If I buy it online, if I buy it online I have to WAAAAAIIIIITTTTTT for it and I want it nownowNOW!."

They can always pay extra to have it shipped overnight.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
          why do i have a feeling he wanted to make a complaint about you too?
          Are you implying that I'm worthy of a complaint?

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post

ROFL. Exactly.

Comment

Most brick-and-mortor stores (ie: real-world stores) will not match prices with online stores because online store do not have to pay for: lights, heat, floor space, taxes and dozens (or hundreds) of real live emplyees to help you find just the right item, explain to you all of its features, listen to you bitch, and generally put up with your indecisveness.
              We will price match with our COMPETITORS, but online stores are not among them.

If the customer wants online prices, they have to go online.
              My husband shops a lot online, and likes it just fine, but he would never expect to get the same price in a store.
              I no longer fear HELL.
              I work in RETAIL.

Comment

No, she was saying that when SCs don't get their way they usually file a complaint for "rudeness" or something along those lines.

Comment

On line stores can afford to keep the pices low, because thay really get you in shipping. He knew this, I'm sure and wanted to have the full savings, which, sadly, is where you come in. People will try anything.

And I agree that may have wanted to put in a complaint about you, because in his stupid little brain, being told "no" no matter how politely it is said, is VERY rude. I mean, didn't you KNOW who he was?!?!?!

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                    They can always pay extra to have it shipped overnight.
                    Overnight is not Now. I want it Now. NOOOOOOOOOOOW!!!!! kickscreamwah!!!
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

No, she is implying that SCs equate being told "no" with rude service.

The good thing is your manager backed you. There have been plenty of similar stories in which the manager caves.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

What a jerk! You should have told him that he could have it for 350, but you'll have to wait 5-7 business days and give us a delivery fee, of 150. Of course that might be sinking to his level, but it'd be fun. In an evil way.

Comment

Bah. It's highly unlikely that he can get it that easily off the net, for that price. Why bother coming in at all if that was the case? I suspect our little SC is exaggerating.

Most likely, he saw an Ebay auction that BEGAN at 350 or the price BEFORE shipping was 350. Additionally, an Ebay seller or online store probably won't offer after sales service, may not ensure that the item will be protected in the post/by the courier, can't/won't offer a warranty and he can't see the projector in person before committing to buy.

The halfway intelligent ones know all this. In the event of an SC trying to debate it, I think it would be fair to make those points. If your managers are ok with that, of course

Comment

Another price-matching story! I can't believe how common this is.

I hadn't even heard of this practice until I started coming here! And it still makes no sense to me. If you can get it cheaper at another store, why don't you just go there?

It seems to me that if someone were to ask me to price-match another store, I'd sure like to know why they aren't going to that store to begin with. Is their service or warranty sub-par in comparison? Is it too far away and you don't have a car? Are you banned from that store? There's a reason you're here and not there...how likely is it that you're going to leave and go there, really?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I bet that online deal he found was in fact a cheap Korean knockoff of the real thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X