This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no, I'm not ignorant!

I've decided that old people are awkward.
    Elderly women in particular.
    By awkward, I mean...

Story1) Projectiles

I work at a hardware store. It's pretty spiffy, because we sell flowers and gifts too. Sometimes we do giftwrapping, sometimes we don't. It depends on the time of year, really. Currently, we're not.

Enter Eldery Lady, buying a stuffed animal for her granddaughter.

A(noki): Me!
    EL: Elderly Lady

A: Hello! How are you today (etc, usualy shpiel)
    EL: Will you wrap this for me? (She shoves the toy in my face)
    A: I'm sorry ma'am, we don't have any wrapping paper in the back room.
    EL: That's a lie! You kids always wrap things!
    A: I'm really sorry, I don't know what else to tell you. We're just not doing giftwrapping this week.

Now at this point, I should mention that by each cash register is a dish of tootsie rolls and candies, as well as a bowl of cookies. EL promptly take a handful of candies and THROWS them at me, complaining about how she's going to have to show up to a family dinner without the present wrapped. I just sort of stood there, becuase never in my life did i think that I would ever have an 80 year old lady throw things at me. She left a minute later, when the dish was empty.

Story 2, for which I have no title

For reasons yet unknown to me, customers tend to wander the store and then rush the register all at once. Today, I was the only person on reg. We're a little understaffed.

During one of the rushes, a line of 5 people forms. 5 ansty people. In the front is another elderly lady. She's buying a bunch of cups and towels and gardening shovels and whatnot. Her total was around fifty dollars.

EL2: Are you up for a challenge, dear?
    A: (Why not, I'll play along.) Yes ma'am. What can I do for you today?
    EL2: (Pulls out a HUGE stack of bills. Mostly 1's, with some 20's and 10's and 5's) I'm going to pay you in singles
    A: (Notices the other 4 people shifting anxiously in line). Errr, ok?
    The lady starts counting out bills slowly. As she comes across any larger bills, she replaces them into her purse. We're at 26 when she knocks something off the counters. She loses count. I think I'm going to snap. She asks for change for a 5. Sure?
    I hand her the singles, which she ADDS to the pile of (now) 43 one-dollar bills on the counter and I can't believe I fell for that. By now, people in line start laughing or yelling for us to get a move on. Really, aside from counting for her, there's nothing more I can do.
    After over 10 minutes of this nonsense, I get her through. It was annoying. It was tedious. It made me cranky.

Story Three: Not pertaining to elderly women.

I am trilingual (almost). I know English, Spanish, and a fair amount of Hebrew. I generally dislike speaking anything other than english, because I have the embarrassing habit of mixing the other two languages together. It sounds silly, really.

At one point today, I was behind the regsiter on my knees, sorting 141 eyeglasses into bins by their strength. Two landscapers (hispanic) come up to the register to pay for some dirt and flowers they've picked up. No prob! I like landscapers. They're very down to earth, mostly. So I'm printing out the house charge for them, and I hear one say to the other, in Spanish: "That's where she belongs, on her knees." The other laughs and winks at me when I come back to ask them to sign the charge.
    I want to scream. I'm a feminist. Probably radically so. I'd also like to keep my job, as I need money for my meals in college in the fall. End result, I bite my lip and wish them a good day, and safe driving IN SPANISH.

They laugh more and leave.

Ok i hate it when peole say stuff like that. Sme regulars love me bcause more than once when we had enough people and where slow enough i did kids meals on the ground (it was easier on ym back). I also got a few guys whispering things to each other...
    I know all of like 20 words in spanish but i know when im being cursed. I have strict respect me as a human being or leave and got to subway policy.

Comment

I don't like speaking in Spanish 'cause my accent is hilarious . . . you try speaking Spanish, replacing all the Rs with Ws. That little problem doesn't sound that bad in English, but in Spanish . . . ,
      You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Anoki View Post
        I hear one say to the other, in Spanish: "That's where she belongs, on her knees." The other laughs and winks at me when I come back to ask them to sign the charge.
        <snip>End result, I bite my lip and wish them a good day, and safe driving IN SPANISH.
        You handled it well, but I think something along the lines of "...and I don't appreciate being spoken about like that" would've been appropriate.
        Last edited by Becks; 06-11-2007, 02:37 AM. Reason: fixing typos AFTER work
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglĂłid

Comment

I like landscapers. They're very down to earth, mostly.
          Hehe, not sure if you meant it as a pun, but that's cute

I, too, would have made sure they knew that I knew exactly what they said and that I didn't appreciate it. I doubt they'd go to your boss complaining that you wouldn't let them make sexist remarks about you...

I hate people who pay in all singles and/or change. But most people apologize and don't make a big deal of the fact. Usually it's restaurant workers who get tips (and I choose to believe that they were all restaurant workers...). But to ask for change for a larger bill just so she can give you all singles...?!?! That's just ridiculous! Most people with a lot of change were little kids emptying out their piggy banks. Then the parent stands there and lets Junior count it all out on the counter they can barely see over. I'm all for teaching kids how to handle money and all that but count it out on your own time or take them to the bank to get bills instead of holding up my line!
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 06-10-2007, 04:39 PM.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

There was an old lady who used to come in all the time when I worked at Kroger who paid for everything with a big ziploc freezer bag full of pennies. She always managed to come in during the busiest time of day. Thankfully she never bought much, but I swear the amount of pennies in that freaking bag never ever decreased. She must have been using an infinite money code or something.
            "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Anoki View Post
              So I'm printing out the house charge for them, and I hear one say to the other, in Spanish: "That's where she belongs, on her knees."
              "Allow me to remind you that position puts me closer to CASTRATION level!"

Pity you couldn't say that. So these cavemen didn't seem the least bit embarassed at getting caught?
              Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

I especially love when a Hispanic guy (17-25 (I'm not labeling, just it happens EVERY time) is out and so am I with a few friends.

Its hot, we're wearing shorts. I try to ignore the "chi chi" bits, and usually the big butt reference, but when I'm right by em, and they look at us and go "Ya, senorita! Te quiero puta! Vamos, mi pinchi(sp?) whateverelse" its all I can do not to scream Japanese at them.

You have my sincere sympathies.

Comment

Quoth Anoki View Post
                  So I'm printing out the house charge for them, and I hear one say to the other, in Spanish: "That's where she belongs, on her knees." The other laughs and winks at me when I come back to ask them to sign the charge.
                  I want to scream. I'm a feminist. Probably radically so. I'd also like to keep my job, as I need money for my meals in college in the fall. End result, I bite my lip and wish them a good day, and safe driving IN SPANISH.

They laugh more and leave.
                  I would have lost it at the point. I had passengers say things like that to me and I could never hold my tongue.
                  No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

If those two would have been in my gas station, I would have grabbed the 2x4 and smacked them all the way back to Tijuana.

Blas, who is also a raving feminist (although I don't believe in bra burning!) and sometimes it gets me in trouble with piggish men like that.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Anoki View Post
                      I hear one say to the other, in Spanish: "That's where she belongs, on her knees."
                      How about "My brother feels the same way. We shoud introduce him to your sister"
                      Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Once had a customer pay me with a $120+ in singles; thankfully I can count pretty fast with maybe a 95% accuracy rating. I think I had to put the access $1s into the $2s till, though.
                        "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

I've had friends who have had to deal with hispanics saying perverted things. She just ignored them because she didn't want to start a fight or anything. I think things like that are hard to ignore though. I'd probably go and kick their asses or something.
                          For the most part, I don't care about what everyone else is doing, or what is popular.
                          -Namie Amuro (Japanese singer)

Comment

I woulda turned around and looked at them and said, "Careful, I bite." and chomped my teeth. Do it right, you'd get a nervous laugh and a cringe.
                            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

I think all three of those deserve a nice slooooooow trip through the
                              ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X