Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the subject of patterns shaved into hair, I took a picture of one on the bus this morning. Now if I knew how to get pics off my phone, I'd post it.

Nekojin & I sold slap bracelets and friendship bracelets to people at conventions as recently as just last year.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      I submit to you the following exhibits as evidence:

Big hair.
      Banana clips.
      Leg warmers.
      Sweatshirts with the sleeves and collars cut out.
      Members only jackets.
      Garish colors.
      That red Michael Jackson jacket.
      Parachute pants.
      Izod.
      Swatches.
      Jelly bracelets. (Making a comeback lately, too.)
      Wearing collars up.
      Jogging suits.
      Messages/designs shaved into heads.
      Madonna and Cyndi Lauper as fashion plates. And all the fashions they spawned.
      As another member of the class of '88, you did not mention....
      Benetton shirt
      Miami Vice outfits
      the shorts over sweatpants (like in The Goonies movie)

Comment

Sorry, nowadays it's the SKIRT over the leggings look

Ew ew ew ew
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth JustAGirl View Post
          You TOTALLY forgot HYPERCOLOR tshirts!

And those slap bracelets!

What about the bead friendship bracelet?
          As one of the older fogies on the board...

the pants around the knees is the dumbest fashion in a very long time. It beats anything the 80s put out hands down. And the 70s. The hippie and psychadelic looks came close, but still lose. The flapper look might have tied it, for the same reasons: ugly and constrictive at the same time.

The only ones I can really think of being worse would be the extremes of the hoop skirts (though it can be a pretty effect, those are sheer murder on everyone near you... plus difficult to sit in), or tights with enormous codpieces for men (the ultimate in penis compensation), the worst of the poofy hairdoos (when you have live birds in your hair, it's Just Too Much). Probably there weren't the only ones, but they're all I'm familiar with.

Comment

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
            Benetton shirt
            Miami Vice outfits
            the shorts over sweatpants (like in The Goonies movie)
            Picky picky. I got plenty, and I did it all off the top of my head in one shot. I am sure I missed plenty, but for a one shot post, I did damn good, thank you very much.

Quoth blas87 View Post
            Sorry, nowadays it's the SKIRT over the leggings look
            Not nowadays. That also was a fashion trend of the eighties, one that spawned from the Madonna phenomenon, if I'm not mistaken.

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            the pants around the knees is the dumbest fashion in a very long time. It beats anything the 80s put out hands down. And the 70s.
            While it IS stupid, I have to say the seventies gave us some of the worst fashion statements and trends EVER.

Such as (again off the top of my head):

big fro's (and not just for my African brothers, either)
            bad mustaches/facial hair styles
            big collars
            big ties
            big lapels
            bell bottoms
            bell bottoms
            bell bottoms
            (That's not a typo. Bell bottoms were bad enough to be mentioned three times.)
            Platform shoes.
            Platform shoes with LIVE FISH in them!
            Disco shirts.
            Corduroy pants. (I wore them as a kid. They were HORRIBLE!)

Not sure that even the pants around the knees look beats half of those, let alone all of them.

Thank the gods I was only a kid in the seventies, and didn't voluntarily buy any of those things for myself. And thank the gods that my parents only made me suffer though a couple of them overall.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              While it IS stupid, I have to say the seventies gave us some of the worst fashion statements and trends EVER.
              For this reason if I see a late 1970s NBA match on TV I will just watch it for the pure laugh factor of the hairstyles alone.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post

Such as (again off the top of my head):bell bottoms
                bell bottoms
                bell bottoms
                Turning your lower pant legs into mini-skirts was dumb, but I'll still consider today's pant-waist around your legs-- forcing yourself to do the pengiun waddle-- to be far worse.

Ooooohhhhh: new name for the fad! Penguin pants!

Comment

Since the offending N-word is so hateful, and yes, I hate it also. the KKK was my grandfather's bag, not mine. Where I live, we call these white wannabe gangstas whiggers. I think it is obvious the etymology of this term.

It is funny, but the baggies began with the surfers, so they could get out of their pants fast (of course, they had swim trunks on, too.) How the transition from surfers to gangstas came about, I don't know.

Recently, we spotted a couple of kids (late teens, early 20s). The girl was obviously Goth, except for her hair that looked like someone had eaten five pounds of Sherwin Williams color chips then puked on her head. The guy that was with her was wearing a smallish vest and Arabian style pants. His head was shaved except for the 10 inch spiked mohawk in international orange. I turned to my wife, saying, "I didn't know the circus was in town." If looks could kill, I would have been in the local morgue.

How about elephant leg bell bottoms? I made a pair once by splitting the outside seams from hem to knee, then sewing in a panel of purple paisley. The jeans fit almost skin tight down to the knee, then the opening at the hem was about 18 inches in diameter.
                  Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-17-2009, 05:11 AM. Reason: consecutive

Comment

Quoth Starlord
                    I turned to my wife, saying, "I didn't know the circus was in town." If looks could kill, I would have been in the local morgue.
                    Oh, screw 'em. They got off on it. I PROMISE you, it gave them a little thrill.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Not nowadays. That also was a fashion trend of the eighties, one that spawned from the Madonna phenomenon, if I'm not mistaken.
                      Actually, that whole mis-matched layered thing isn't even American, much less from the 80's. It's something that we picked up from the punk movement. It seems punk has hit Japan, hard. At Anime Expo, we saw a lot of Asian punks to go along with the overabundance of loli and g-lol stuff.

Quoth Jester View Post
                      Such as (again off the top of my head):

big fro's (and not just for my African brothers, either)
                      bad mustaches/facial hair styles
                      big collars
                      big ties
                      big lapels
                      bell bottoms
                      bell bottoms
                      bell bottoms
                      Platform shoes.
                      Platform shoes with LIVE FISH in them!
                      Disco shirts.
                      Corduroy pants. (I wore them as a kid. They were HORRIBLE!)
                      I currently own two pairs of cords and have a pair of flared pants. I like flared pants. And I've recently seen platforms with fish in them, although they were plastic fish, but they were in liquid and moved around.

Quoth Starlord
                      It is funny, but the baggies began with the surfers, so they could get out of their pants fast (of course, they had swim trunks on, too.) How the transition from surfers to gangstas came about, I don't know.
                      Skate punks, too, although they did it more for the protection against mis-flipped boards than being able to shuck 'em off quickly. Of course, there's a lot of cross over between the two groups.

Quoth Starlord
                      Recently, we spotted a couple of kids (late teens, early 20s). The girl was obviously Goth, except for her hair that looked like someone had eaten five pounds of Sherwin Williams color chips then puked on her head. The guy that was with her was wearing a smallish vest and Arabian style pants. His head was shaved except for the 10 inch spiked mohawk in international orange. I turned to my wife, saying, "I didn't know the circus was in town." If looks could kill, I would have been in the local morgue.
                      The whole "goth" look is being flooded with g-lol (goth lolita) fashion and punk accoutrements and hairstyles. There were some incredibly diverse hairstyles at the convention last weekend. One guy had a "Flock of Seagulls" sort of look, with one side black and the other side pale green.

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Hey I like Bell Bottoms. If they still made them I'd wear them. I'm a 1960's lovechild born 40 years too late. I'm in with the wrong generation.
                        It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
                        ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth ArenaBoy View Post
                          For this reason if I see a late 1970s NBA match on TV I will just watch it for the pure laugh factor of the hairstyles alone.
                          On the other hand, the shorts the basketball players wore back then seemed to make more sense, in terms of freedom of movement, than the long, baggy, shiny things they wear now that look like ladies' half-slips.

Quoth Jack7957 View Post
                          Hey, me too!

"We are super, we are great, 'cause we're the class of '88!"

Funny story. I went to a small Texas school, where half of our graduating class of about 65 people went to school with each other from kindergarten through graduation (I was one of those long-timers). I was on the yearbook staff my junior and senior years. We had a very small budget and could only afford four two-page spreads of color pages.

One of those was used for Spirit Week, where we wore our school colors (maroon and gold), which was an obvious choice. But another use of the coveted color pages was on a rather silly article about students considered to be fashionable in their attire.

It was pretty much a "Who's Who" of popular people, wearing...absolutely average clothes. You must remember that trends hit our little school about 5 years after the rest of the world.

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                          What I don't like is the super skinny high waisted jeans coming back.
                          What I don't like is jeans that hit at the natural waistline being described as "high-wasted" (not picking on you, AFP). Low-rise jeans are only flattering to a small segment of the population. I am not part of that segment. I'd like to be able to find a normal pair of jeans that don't feel like they need to be pulled up all the time.
                          Last edited by Broomjockey; 04-17-2009, 05:18 AM. Reason: consecutive posts
                          He loves the world...except for all the people.
                          --Men at Work

Comment

Quoth Noelegy
                            ...our school colors (maroon and gold)...
                            Being an Arizona State Sun Devil, I can DEFINITELY get behind those colors!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

The "N" word almost broke up me and my fiance.

When we were first dating he was prone to not using his Brain to Mouth FilterTM.

One particular date he was describing his day and mentioned how one particular customer, one of the older ladies that ask for the latest dated milk kept insisting that he was lying to her. I guess she must have been a doozie. Anyway, that word comes up and I set my fork down (we were in some restaurant, I forget which; it was about 5 years ago), and looked him dead in the eye.

"If you want to continue dating me, you will refrain from using that word."

I apparently scared him because he had intended to ask me to go steady with him later that night(yes, he's an old stickler for that sort of thing), and I was the best thing to have come along in years.

He has never used it since, though I have caught him starting to say it, then bite his tounge.

See, I was raised where it didn't matter what your race was, everyone was respected. Name calling, especially that name, was not tolerated in the least. If your parents found out you said it, there was hell to pay.
                              Random conversation:
                              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                                The "N" word almost broke up me and my fiance. . . .
                                See, I was raised where it didn't matter what your race was, everyone was respected. Name calling, especially that name, was not tolerated in the least. If your parents found out you said it, there was hell to pay.
                                I was raised where some people were very ignorant and small-minded. I can remember a classmate moving to my school from California when we were in the second grade. He wore shorts to school one day--which at that time was not allowed--and some kids were making fun of him on the playground. He got mad, started crying, and said we were all a bunch of [N-bombs].

I mention that because he moved from a state that's supposed to be more progressive and liberal, to a *cough* red state, and still, when he was under duress, that's the word he reached for. He learned that somewhere.

However, because my parents were open-minded and tolerant folk (although they'd been raised by a generation not so tolerant), I grew up pretty much taking people at face value, although I grew up literally not knowing any black people (and very few brown ones) until I was an adult. I grew up knowing kids whose parents wouldn't make a big deal if they used the N-word, and I can remember when [British slang for "cigarette", starts with F] was the worst insult you could level at someone on the playground, even if you didn't know what it meant.

I don't think where you were raised has as much influence as who raised you. But that's just my .
                                He loves the world...except for all the people.
                                --Men at Work

Comment

Working...
                                X