X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm rich and stay at 5 star hotels...

so why the hell are you hassling me?

Since we introduced a "credit card/debit card required" policy at the hotel due to excessive theft, vandalism (including smoking in a non smoking room), we get those angry customers that whine and complain about it because they "just want to pay cash". Well thats great, we will take your cash, but where do we get the money from to pay for the hole in the wall you left from that wild get together? Thats right from our pocket.

Its just hilarious what I hear from people when give me bunk cards that don't work. Instead of focusing on the fact that the card is not valid, all I hear is "I stay at much better, 5 star hotels all the time and don't have to do this", or "this is ridiculous, I have thousands of dollars in cash right now and you won't take it". The best one is when someone mentions other businesses that they claim to commonly use doing the same, like car rental companies. Hmmm...notice a trend here?

Seriously, its not like we are out to make your life suck, but why does the hotel need to suffer because of dumb asses that cost us money (we hit an all time high with damages costing us over $1500 a month, it used to be just a few hundred at best, seems like we lost quality customers).

Sorry for the rant.

Well, since they supposedly have hundreds of thousands of dollars at their disposal, maybe you could require a $1000 Cash deposit instead.
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Well, don't damage or steal anything and it won't matter, will it?
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Speaking of theft, about how much would be added to the bill for 'stealing' some towels if you asked first? I know stealing is wrong and all, but it's not actually stealing from the room if you clear it with the front desk first, right? There's been some relatively inexpensive places I've stayed at that had abso-freakin-lutely HUGE, high quality towels. If I'd been thinking of it at the time, I would've tried to get some for myself, since most towels are just way too small for my tastes.
        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Something like towels, depends on which ones and how many, could be $10-$15. If just one towel was missing, maybe nothing.

If its obvious, like there was just one person staying in the room, and all the towels are gone the next day, then we will charge them without hesitation. Just depends on the situation.

Clear it with a manager, if you like the item, they might sell it to you (a new one from storage, not a used one).

Comment

Some hotels (such as Westin Hotels) have whole catalogues that show stuff for sale...even the beds and mattresses! Anything you see in their rooms is for sale...new, from catalogue or website! You can even register for weddings! (they have great, soft beds!)
            I no longer fear HELL.
            I work in RETAIL.

Comment

Wicked! Sounds like it's time for me to fire up Google and get a'lookin'.
              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

In this day and age, damage deposits are the norm when renting anything, from rooms to vehicles. Besides, who doesn't travel with a credit card for emergencies nowadays?
                -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

I certainly understand requiring a deposit - I worked at a video store that required a $100.00 credit card authorization to open an account. But we also had cash deposit accounts. This was back in the days before DVDs - videos weren't usually released at a sell-through price, but priced very high - from $70 - $100 each for the first 6 months of release or so, then at a cheap price thereafter. We'd collect a cash deposit equal to the replacement price plus 5 rental days, and just keep the cash if the movie was later than 5 days.

I'd be pretty put off if I tried to stay at, say, a Ramada Inn for 3 days and they wouldn't accept a $500 cash deposit, or even a $1000 deposit - how much is the credit card authorization / deposit run for?

Joe

Comment

Quoth slick View Post
                    "I stay at much better, 5 star hotels all the time and don't have to do this", or "this is ridiculous, I have thousands of dollars in cash right now and you won't take it".
                    Sorry for the rant.

Then why aren't those people staying at those hotels? And why would someone advertise how much cash they have on their person, in front of anyone within earshot, including loitering scum that might want to rob you?

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                      There's been some relatively inexpensive places I've stayed at that had abso-freakin-lutely HUGE, high quality towels.
                      My favorite towels are beach towels. They're actually big enough to wrap around. "Bath" towels suck.

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                      And why would someone advertise how much cash they have on their person, in front of anyone within earshot, including loitering scum that might want to rob you?
                      They're trying to impress and intimidate you. As simple as that.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Our credit card deposits are simple, $100 per stay, possibly more on the weekend. The main reason for the credit card is, there is always a chance of getting more off the card. And, with cash, a person will want there cash at check out, so someone will have to go to "inspect" the room before the guest leaves. This could prove to be a hard thing if its 7am and people are trying to check out. Last thing we want to do is get into a worthless argument with a guest on whether or not they smoked in the room, or "that coffee maker was already missing when I checked in".
                        Since we implemented the credit card required policy, we have only had a few violators, and they all did the same thing, smoke in a non smoking room. No theft or vandalism of any kind since, which is great. We definately had people walk out and not stay due the new rule, but revenue hasn't dropped at all, in fact, we are doing a lot better than last year.
                        I get people that insult me all the time since we are not a 5 star hotel, but we do not charge $200 a night either, and then $10 extra for internet, and no free breakfast, etc...
                        I wish we made the kind of money that those huge hotels do, but we don't, even though we work our tails off.

Sorry for the rant again, I hate when people insult my business.

Comment

Quoth slick View Post
                          I hate when people insult my business.
                          I think that most of us do. After all, big company or small, we each have our place in it. An insult on our business is an indirect comment on our livelihood...and who wants to have their current life's work insulted?
                          I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Quoth BusBus View Post
                            In this day and age, damage deposits are the norm when renting anything, from rooms to vehicles. Besides, who doesn't travel with a credit card for emergencies nowadays?
                            *raises hand*

I don't have one, and so far, I still can't get one. I do have a debit card, however, and that still works at a few places, yet.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Debit cards will work, but the only problem with them is that they are directly linked to your checking account.

Having money in your checking account being tied up with an approval from a hotel can be a pain, especially if you stayed at the hotel over the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X