This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth napoleana View Post
    Me too! It's the bishounen thing. I don't get it. What's the appeal of men that look like women? I'm sorry, as much love as I have for my fellow girl, I just can't help being attracted to men that look like men.

</rant>
    I believe the correct term is "bishie". <cough>

Comment

I just can't help being attracted to men that look like men.
      Rawr?

Rapscallion

Comment

I don't read much manga, but when I do, I usually like it, or at least find it interesting - I definitely liked the expansion that was done on Suikoden 3 (amazing how much 'off-stage' detail you can add to a video game) and read Lone Wolf and Cub all the way through. My main problem with manga though, is I hate having to read the book backwards - Tokyopop is notorious for that and since they seems to be the main supplier, I'm not going to be a major manga buyer (or fan) anytime soon.

Anime? I don't bother. Except for Princess Mononoke, the PTB seem to pick the people with the most grating voices to voice the English dubs and I don't like subtitles. No point in it, for me.

One good thing about manga though - it seems to be drawing US comics away from the monthly superhero smackdowns in favor of - gasp! - storylines.
        Civilized men tend to be ruder than savages because they know they can be impolite without getting their skulls split, as a rule.
        - Robert E. Howard

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
          It's not as bad as it was back in the day when the only place I could find anime/manga was at Suncoast and they were in a secluded, musty corner in the back of the store. And the guy behind the counter was always like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons. I think that was a job requirement there...
          Hey! I was that anime guru at Chesterfield! I'm offended, but I don't care... damn...
          The 'job requirement' was to know movies, basically, manga was added on for those who knew the anime, really. And do you know why we stuck the manga in the corner? The spinning racks we got for the manga originally were too freaking small to hold all of it once the warehouse started picking up speed on manga releases. So, we stuck it on shelves on the wall next to the anime, cause, hmm... they're related? And THEN we got the steel shelving triangles of DEATH! If you weren't careful when you put the manga on those things, you could seriously hurt yourself.

Also, to add to the InuYasha debate, It's FREAKING INU-Yasha! There's no character named Inu-WASHA! It's a freaking Y Damnit! Also, He and Kagome are NOT in love! He tolerates her because she can see the Shiikon no Tama, which he needs to become fully demon! NO love! And, where the hell do they get the idea that Sesshomaru and Inuyasha should couple up? Sesshomaru wants InuYasha DEAD! DEAD! Not Naked and rolling in the hay! DEAD!
          Last edited by Imogene; 07-24-2007, 04:12 PM. Reason: My interpretation of InuYasha.
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Also, He and Kagome are NOT in love! He tolerates her because she can see the Shiikon no Tama, which he needs to become fully demon! NO love! And, where the hell do they get the idea that Sesshomaru and Inuyasha should couple up? Sesshomaru wants InuYasha DEAD! DEAD! Not Naked and rolling in the hay! DEAD!
            1) No, he clearly has a thing for her. He's just an adolescent dumbass is all. Don't make me relive that horrific kiss scene in one of the films just to support the fact. <shudder>

2) Don't forget incest. It'd also be incest. Hot bishie yaoi incest.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post

Congratulations, you just make my brain shudder, and cry in horror. Please don't ever say anything like that again. And now, just to be safe, I'm never touching manga of any kind. Ever.
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Me too! It's the bishounen thing. I don't get it. What's the appeal of men that look like women? I'm sorry, as much love as I have for my fellow girl, I just can't help being attracted to men that look like men.

</rant>
                There are some bishounen that I think are pretty cute, but for the most part, bishies are not my cup of tea. And the ones they do for the yaoi stuff are even less attractive in my eyes. Mostly stick figure caricatures of boys. Meh.

I believe the correct term is "bishie". <cough>
                *snicker* Bishie is just a cute name for bishounen, which translates to "pretty boy" as opposed to bishoujo, which is "pretty girl." For example, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, which my friend tranlates most often as Lovely Soldier Sailor Moon.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Rawr?

Rapscallion
                *giggle*

... that's probably not the reaction you were looking for...

*snicker*

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                Congratulations, you just make my brain shudder, and cry in horror. Please don't ever say anything like that again. And now, just to be safe, I'm never touching manga of any kind. Ever.
                I will refrain from mentioning anything along the lines of the transformed Naruto x Kakashi images I've seen floating around, then. Oh, and whatever else you do, avoid any of the -chan image boards.....

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

*ponders over his manga shelves*

Magic Knight Rayearth. X. Card Captor Sakura. Angel Sanctuary. Sailor Moon. Code Name wa Sailor V. Silent Mobius. Infinite Ryvius. Ah, Megami-sama.

And that's just a small sampling. I've got wide, and varied tastes. But in general, I follow a simple rule about things I buy.

I consider the popularity of the series I'm about to buy. And usually, see if I can get some experience with it free. Someone mentioned FullMetal Alchemist. I chose to stay away from it after watching the first four episodes. Why?

Because Ed was such a whiny brat. And if I can't stand the main character, why continue watching the series?

Personally, I would reccomend more off-the-wall titles. Things like Boogiepop Phantom (anime) and the related Boogiepop novels, Crest of the Stars/Battleflag of the Stars, Scrapped Princess, El-Hazard. Not the most popular stuff out there, but it doesn't have to be. I prefer story over popularity.
                  Dealer hits... 21. Table loses.

This happens more often than most people want to believe.

Comment

*snicker* Bishie is just a cute name for bishounen, which translates to "pretty boy" as opposed to bishoujo, which is "pretty girl." For example, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, which my friend tranlates most often as Lovely Soldier Sailor Moon.
                    I know. ;p You have no idea as to the depths I am currently sunk in the anime/manga realm. <whimper>. My 44 gig "Currently viewing" anime folder frightens puppies and makes small children cry.

Crest of the Stars/Battleflag of the Stars, Scrapped Princess, El-Hazard
                    Actually, Crest of Stars is a classic and El Hazard is fairly well known too ( Though I wish they had stopped with the alternate universes ;p ). Scrapped Princess is quite popular and highly rated. Boogiepop Phantom on the other hand was on the fringe, yes.

You're seriously missing out if you bailed on FMA in 4 episodes though to be honest. Its up there with some of the best series ever, really. It was one of those epic anime that only creep along once every other season or so.

Comment

I know. ;p You have no idea as to the depths I am currently sunk in the anime/manga realm. <whimper>. My 44 gig "Currently viewing" anime folder frightens puppies and makes small children cry.
                      Heh. I think I lost about 100G of "currently viewing" when my big junk drive finally stopped spinning up at all.

Actually, Crest of Stars is a classic and El Hazard is fairly well known too ( Though I wish they had stopped with the alternate universes ;p ). Scrapped Princess is quite popular and highly rated. Boogiepop Phantom on the other hand was on the fringe, yes.

You're seriously missing out if you bailed on FMA in 4 episodes though to be honest. Its up there with some of the best series ever, really. It was one of those epic anime that only creep along once every other season or so.
                      I've never seen Crest of the Stars. El Hazard is quite popular and I rather like it. Scrapped Princess is becoming popular with the more mainstream crowd, now. I watched the whole thing quite some teme back. I rather liked it, too.

Another title that's not well known is Tokyo Underground, which I seem to think of when I think of SP, but that may be because I was watching them during the same period. TU ended rather too quickly, and it makes me think that they didn't get renewed and had to wrap things up way ahead of schedule.

Another manga that I have most of the series for is The Celestial Zone by Wee Tian Beng. As soon as I dig out the rest of the books and manga, I've got to see how much I have and finish the series. I've only read part of the first series. I don't know anything about the two follow ups.

Oh, and what GK said about FMA. Ignore the fanbois and at least give the series a full arc to settle in.

^-.-^
                      Last edited by Andara Bledin; 07-25-2007, 04:52 PM.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Oh, and what GK said about FMA. Ignore the fanbois and at least give the series a full arc to settle in.
                        Hear hear!

Tokyo Underground was way too generic shounen though. -.-

Comment

I completely forgot about Gunslinger Girl. Call me what you will, but that is my favorite series. Hell, I just bought a Henrietta plush I'm just pissed as can be that ADV decided to only make the first three mangas in English, and not make the last three. You're stuck at a cliff-hanger that will never be resolved in English.
                          It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
                          ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

I'm not a fan of Gunslinger Girl. *shrug*

As for the lack of the last one being translated, if you look around, you can probably find a scanlation (fan translated & scanned copy) online somewhere. They're not quite as easy to find as the fansubs, but I'm willing to bet they're far more numerous, especially with all the hentai doujinshi out there.

^-.-^

Comment

Lets see. im probly sitting on about 200 gigs of stuff i need to watch... ill probly never get around to it
                              http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                              Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                                Also, He and Kagome are NOT in love! He tolerates her because she can see the Shiikon no Tama, which he needs to become fully demon! NO love! And, where the hell do they get the idea that Sesshomaru and Inuyasha should couple up? Sesshomaru wants InuYasha DEAD! DEAD! Not Naked and rolling in the hay! DEAD!
                                Yes, he and Kagome have an attraction, it is quite obvious, not at first, but later on. But the relation is Ranma and Akane all over again..... blegh.

And Seshoumaru does not want Inuyasha dead anymore, nor does he really hate him, more annoyance then anything. he very much softened up, especially after Kagura's death. Of course the anime never showed that..... damnit, I want to see Meidou Zangetsu Ha animated, might actually redeem it.
                                "It's times like these that make me wanna go straight."
                                James from Pokémon.

Comment

Working...
                                X