Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't whistle at me like I'm an f-ing dog!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely off topic, but...AriRashkae's avatar reminds me of GK.

I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

At work, there's only a few people allowed to whistle at me. A few of my pets I mean, guy friends, and one lady who works in the deli who occasionally loses her voice.

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
      Completely off topic, but...AriRashkae's avatar reminds me of GK.
      You're right.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

"It's just the fact that when discussed, it's nearly always about guys holding doors for gals, specifically. It's the way it's stated that tends to irk me. It's the little things that people do without thinking that hold us back."

I'm not sure what you mean by this. How does a man holding a door for you "hold you back?" Am I misreading here?

Ladies, a man might not be holding a door for you because you're a lady. It might be doing it because he's a gentleman. Something to think about. I seriously doubt the man in question thinks you are too weak to open your own door. He's probably doing it because he's being polite.

In fact, he might even do it if you were a man. That's being polite, too. These women who get pissed at what they think is chauvenism don't think about that. I mean, do you ever hold the door for men or other chicks? I know I do. Accusing a man of being a pig because he showed you courtesy is beyond contemptable.

Comment

[QUOTE=RecoveringKinkoid;162528 Something to think about. I seriously doubt the man in question thinks you are too weak to open your own door. He's probably doing it because he's being polite. [/QUOTE]

I used to agree with you on that, but in the last week, I have come up behind no less than 14 women who needed me to help them with the door they were attempting to open. 4 of them were almost crushed by train doors, the rest were incapable of opening a door against a gentle breeze. I seriously can't figure out why there are so many fraile women running around this city all of a sudden. It's not like doors around here especially heavy.
          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Whistlers: Bad day, bad mood, trying very hard to remain professional.

Customer whistles at me, I ignore it. As he pulls up he asks why I didn't respond to him. I point to my name tag and say "Does it read Fluffy to you?" Bad thing to say but it was worth it. Never got in trouble fortunately.

As for manners, I remember a Dick Van Dyke episode where a will involving the main character's great-great grandpa is involved and a complete stranger gets a thousand dollars just because he helped him across the street. The stranger IIRC says "Wow, it does pay to be nice!"
            Last edited by ArenaBoy; 07-23-2007, 07:33 PM.
            The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

the way i feel about the door opening thing,

chivalry goes both ways, ie: who ever gets to the door first.

the whole thing started because men felt the need to make women infirior to men, there for saying they were too weak to open their own doors. (in so many words)

i had one boyfriend who would fall over backwards to open a door for me, he did this about 3 times before i said, you know what dont bother, do you feel that i am not capable of opening the door my self. well no he says its just polite, i then told him, that it made me feel that he thought that i was not his equal, and that him running me over to get to the door was not polite at all but a hinderence and a real pain in the ass since he almost knocked me over doing it.

he never opened a door for me again in that way, if he got there first he opened it, and if i got there first i would open it.

i never even really needed help when i was on crutches, i could open the doors just fine even while carrying things.
              "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Actually, it started out because gentlemen were taught that women were to be respected.

I'm not arguing that this came about during a time period where men generally did believe that women were weaker and frailer. It did. But it was also a time period where men were expected to treat women with respect. Basically, that they as men should make themselves available to serve them: opening doors, carrying packages, giving up seats, taking the curbside while walking (to protect them from the perils of the street), etc. It was also about that time when it was considered a great disgrace to hit a woman. Not only because she is generally smaller and weaker (which is true) but because a woman is to be respected.

That many men did NOT respect women was, and is still, a problem. But I assure you that a man's attempt to show deference to a woman by offering up a bit of manners is NOT some insidious method of keeping women from voting and owning property.

Ladies, if you can be made to feel inferior and insulted by a person holding a door for you, you need to get a better grip.

Comment

The fact is, some guys want that connection to chivalry when there are so few left. It confuses the shit out of us when people take offense when we do things we learned from old movies.

If I hold a door for "you" (in general), feel free to express your reaction.

Be prepared to receive mine.

As for the whistling, I'm practicing a combination response that involves a stance, a glare and a gesture. It's not perfected yet but I managed to make my kids cry.

splode.
                  Last edited by Koliedrus; 07-23-2007, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Quoth queenbb View Post
                    the whole thing started because men felt the need to make women infirior to men, there for saying they were too weak to open their own doors. (in so many words)
                    I expect it started when women were wearing dresses that made reaching door handles pretty much impossible.

You ever tried to open and maneuver through a door with a full hoop skirt? Driving in full hoops is an exercise in geometry, physics, and a smattering of contortionism. Driving a manual in full hoops is just plain masochistic. (and yes, I speak from experience)

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Since it seems that we've been relieved of duty regarding door-holding and chair-scooting, I'd like to formally request a hearing in the matter of toilet seat position.

It's a simple procedure. Really. And it's unfair to attack our sense of chivalry when all we're doing is taking a wizz, half-asleep and falling somewhere in the vicinity of your loving arms.

And then farting.

Which sometimes sounds like a whistle.

And that statement makes this somewhat relevant to the topic.

Excelsior!

Comment

I don't hold doors open for females because I think they're feebs who can't handle doing it themselves. I do it because it's the polite thing to do, and I would hope a female does the same for me if I'm following her through the door.

And if anybody would get offended at me for holding the door for them, I'd let it slam in their face every time after that. I know nobody likes a door slamming in their face, but since you've already let me know you don't like it when I hold doors open for you...

No good deed goes unpunished with some people I guess.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Thank you IRF. My feelings exactly.

I never understood the toilet thing, either. If he doesn't get mad at me for leaving it down, why should I get mad if he leaves it up?

Although I will admit to feeling very, very resentful if I stagger in there at 3am half asleep and fall in. Which has happened.

Comment

if you snap your fingers or whistle at me like i'm a dog, don't be surprised if i bite your stupid ass, and just note:

I'M NOT VACCINATED FOR RABIES.

just a warning for that sc who finds this method of hailing employees appropriate.
                            look! it's ghengis khan!
                            Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Racism/ Sexism

First of all It's polite to hold doors open for people in general.. i do it all the time.. the only time it bothers me is when i open a door for a guy and he refuses to go through it because (and they actually say this) that i have no right opening a door for a man. ow... or they blush and feel embarrassed that i opened the door for them. that's kinda cute though.

Secondly my little brother(who's half black we have different dad's) just got home from working at a grocery store... His customer said " Hey Ni#$er boy com over here and help me with this" while patting his leg... before they call him monkey boy, darkie, blackie, or refuse to be helped by him... ridiculous! I wouldn't answer but my little bro is nice and goes out of his way to help everyone...
                              I was there once when somebody called him a Ni#$er when he was seven and i pushed the kid into a ditch filled with brambles sand threw rocks at him so he couldn't get out... along with other similarly violent incidents. i assume much of the same thing would happen if i heard him being called something like that at his work.....
                              ~Annichka~
                              Working for "Runfast" together with "Beforetel" is just super fun!

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post

I never understood the toilet thing, either. If he doesn't get mad at me for leaving it down, why should I get mad if he leaves it up?

Although I will admit to feeling very, very resentful if I stagger in there at 3am half asleep and fall in. Which has happened.

I have too, LOL!! It wasn't even at night, I was distracted and just sat down, since he normally puts it down (he grew up with 3 sisters).

I fell in, screamed his name, and he came running........

Then burst out laughing as soon as he found out what happened!!!
                                I'm just me. I like it. Stop trying to change what I like!

Comment

Working...
                                X