This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught in a lie

this happened tonight while I was at work today. I'm acctually quite proud of how I handled it.

Young lady comes in to buy a pack of cigarettes. Puts $4 on the table, thinks to her self, and says "I need to get more money out of my car"

Looking at her. She can't be more than 17 by my estimations. As she's walking out toward her car I simply tell her "I need to see your I.D. too"

She comes back in a huff and takes her money. She starts going on about how she buys cigarettes here all the time and that I have even sold them to her.

Then she makes the mistake....

She says, quote "I even bought cigarettes from you the other day."

Now here's the rub... I wasn't scheduled to work on wednesday at all. A day off.

I make sure I ask her "Are you sure it was me that sold you the cigarettes yesterday/Tuesday?" (I ask her twice, using both versions of the question)

She replies "Yes, it was you"

I look at her and as dead pan as I can say it...

"That's what I thought... Get out, now."

Given that I'm the ONLY male employee with hair like mine (the only close second is a kid with a goatee that is about 6 inches long. I have a good 8 inch ponytail), and the old male to wear glasses that is even remotely in my age group (the other is an older gentlement who is really nice). She thought she could get away with faking that I've seen her before and that I probably sold her cigs on Wednesday.

Not to mention that I was home the entire time I was supposidly selling her smokes.

It's always funny when a customer tries to play the memory game with you, claiming they spoke to you on a certain day you weren't there. I bet the look on her face was pretty photo-worthy.
    O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Comment

Quoth Swordsman422 View Post
      It's always funny when a customer tries to play the memory game with you, claiming they spoke to you on a certain day you weren't there.
      It's even better when the manager keeps a record of all the schedules and can back YOU up.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

What exactly does 'the other day' mean? There are infinite other days and only one today. On the other hand she needs to work on her lies. Here's one "It was the girl with thing, no the other thingy."
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

well she showed up again the other day (Yesterday!)

She apologized for how she acted. As it turns out she's the granddaughter of another employee who's been on medical leave since before I was working there. She understood that I was just doing my job and that given my position, she would've done the same thing.

Comment

Quoth Namrepus221 View Post
            given my position, she would've done the same thing.
            There's lies, and damned lies. And that, ladies and gentleman, is what's called "A damned lie." A BOLD lie, too. Because if she actually meant it, she wouldn't have pulled that stunt in the first place. If it had been me in your position, I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself from laughing.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
              What exactly does 'the other day' mean? There are infinite other days and only one today.
              Whatever you do, don't ask that question to my fiance. His "the other day" could mean anywhere from half an hour ago to a year and a half ago (at least).
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                Whatever you do, don't ask that question to my fiance. His "the other day" could mean anywhere from half an hour ago to a year and a half ago (at least).
                It could be thursday, all the work is promised to be done by thursday. No one has mentioned which thursday though.
                How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                  It could be thursday, all the work is promised to be done by thursday. No one has mentioned which thursday though.
                  "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

generally, "the other day" to me means the day before yesterday. Or maybe the day before that. But I only use it when it really doesn't matter which day it was. Or maybe because I can't remember specifically...they all just seem to run together lately...sigh...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

arrrgggghhh I now have "I'll gladly pay you Thursday for a Hamburger today" stuck in my head.

I am in my 30's (ergo over legal age) but anytime I buy an item you have to be a specific age for I just automatically pull out my id. The odd thing is how few actually look at it. (If you know that your finger is over the date you know they aren't actually checking it)

As I see it I am gonna pay with Credit Card which is right next to ID so why not go ahead and pull both out just in case.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        There's lies, and damned lies. And that, ladies and gentleman, is what's called "A damned lie." A BOLD lie, too. Because if she actually meant it, she wouldn't have pulled that stunt in the first place. If it had been me in your position, I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself from laughing.
                        She's a granddaughter/daughter of an employee and knows how difficult things like this are because she hears it from her mother and grandmother on a semi regular basis. It's called venting on anyone in earshot. Last time I checked that's what this website is all about.

Comment

She's a granddaughter/daughter of an employee and knows how difficult things like this are because she hears it from her mother and grandmother on a semi regular basis. It's called venting on anyone in earshot. Last time I checked that's what this website is all about.
                          Yeah, vent away, I never said anything about you. I just don't think that her blatent hypocracy should go unnoted. If she'd have done the same thing in your situation, she wouldn't have put you in the situation.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

well she showed up again the other day (Yesterday!)

She apologized for how she acted.

She understood that I was just doing my job and that given my position, she would've done the same thing.
                            Did she have her ID this time???
                            Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Yes Primer, she did.

Comment

Working...
                              X