This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Sparky View Post
    I think it just didn't occur to some to tip, and it didn't occur to others not to. The old man you'd pick up from the grocery and take to a run-down house in a poor neighborhood?...He'd always tip.
    I noticed this when I worked as a valet. We made pretty decent money, and since I valeted at a hospital, it was free valet, but still, tipping paid for my lunch, most days. It was always the customers in the rundown beaters that tipped well, and well-dressed men driving a Lexus or Cadillac that stiffed you. This taught me to never judge a customer by their appearance, especially in terms of tips--I may be in my sweats, but that's just cuz it's my day off, buddy.

Quoth Sparky View Post
    A question for all of you, and especially for servers: Why should tips be tied to the cost of the meal?
    I tend to find my "base" tip amount by using 20% of the bill, and going from there, working up if the server rocked, and down if they weren't great. However, if I'm somewhere like Denny's, where we sit for hours, getting numerous coffee/Diet Coke refills and our bill totals only $5-15, I've been known to tip over 100%, if the service was good--and it usually is.

Also, in regards to some remarks I've seen reading through the thread, I do not think tips should be "expected." I believe they should be earned, but to me, if the server brings me my food and drinks, does not mess up my order, and is at least quietly polite, they have earned their tip. Unless a server really sucks--I'm talking they forget to bring drinks, mess up each order, cop a major attitude, or disappear entirely, they deserve some sort of tip. I've left everywhere from the huge tips mentioned above to two pennies under an upturned and full water glass for a particularly horrendous biatch who abused my family and I at an overpriced restaurant.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

In the short weeks I was a waitress, we were only forced to claim a certain % of our tips. If we made more, we didn't have to add it.

My biggest point here, is that if you don't believe in tipping, please do not stiff a server just to try to prove a point. It's low class, trashy, and rude. Eat at home or go to McDonalds. If you think that tipping should not be expected, try to figure out ways to solve the problem.

Just saying.....please don't not tip to justify your non belief of it.......
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I don't think it's about people not believing in it, it's just that it's expected of people now, no matter what the service and IMO that's not right at all.

Comment

Quoth katie kaboom View Post
          Maybe she only had enough money on her to pay the bill? I'm not saying that makes it right, but i know there have been times when i couldn't afford to tip, so i didn't.*

*Feel free to throw rotten tomatoes at me now
          Boo!!!! Hiss!!!

I'm sorry, but if you can't tip - don't eat out. Its my opinion - but the problem with waiting tables - the federal government set the minimum wage for tipped employees lower than the regular minimum wage - most states - its $2.14/hr. That's it. And even with that pay - you have to claim your tips - most of the time, you end up with checks that are $0. Those tips make up the wages that the employer doesn't have to legally pay. I know that it's not YOUR fault - but that's the reality of the situation.

When I was waiting tables and on the few occasions when I would hear the comment, "You're good, I hope they pay you well" I would take that opportunity to enlighten those few on the way it is for servers.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
            These sound like seriously yucky people.
            *shrugs* I dunno. She's super generous otherwise, and I actually warmed up to him after he stopped being an asshole regularly. He doesn't like it when she steals tips, either, and I think he isn't harder on her because I'm not harder on her.

Having met her parents, I think it comes from their lack of respect for wait staff. I have, after thinking about it decided that if it happens again (I'm not out with her very often), I am going to tell her off and force her to give all of it back. The main reason why I haven't before is because I embarrass easily, and don't want to start telling off my friend in a quiet restaurant.

I was being kind of hard on the husband before. I believe he does tip when he has the money, but if it were me, I'd make sure I had the money before I agreed.

Anyway, I hope telling her to be more considerate and at least respect that I want to tip the girl will get through. Any tips on how best to tell off friends who don't tip? [sorry for off-topicness of question]
            The icon is a bunny with a spiked collar from some carpet ad.

Comment

I don't have much to add other than I do payrolls, tax returns, etc. all day long. I've been doing this for more than 10 years now.

The way it works is, yes, servers get paid $2.13 an hour. HOWEVER, when the payroll is ran, and you add in the tips that were made, your gross pay as to AT LEAST equal minimum wage (which is $5.85 an hour now, nationally. Some states have a higher minimum wage).

Say you work 10 hours and receive $30 in tips. Well, you didn't equal minimum wage, and yes, the employer is supposed to cover the gap. 10 hours at $2.13 / hour is $21.30. $21.30 plus your $30 in tips is $51.30. But minimum wage would have equaled $58.50. The employer is supposed to pay you the $7.20 shortfall there.

From the Department of Labor's website:

A tipped employee engages in an occupation in which he or she customarily and regularly receives more than $30 per month in tips. An employer of a tipped employee is only required to pay $2.13 per hour in direct wages if that amount combined with the tips received at least equals the federal minimum wage. If the employee’s tips combined with the employer’s direct wages of at least $2.13 per hour do not equal the federal minimum hourly wage, the employer must make up the difference. Many states, however, require higher direct wage amounts for tipped employees.
              Yes, you DO have to pay taxes on your tips, and usually your payroll checks are next to nothing, however, you also take home those tips every day in cash. In some establishments, you get paid your credit card tips with your paycheck. Basically, you treat tips as an advance when you run the payroll.

Do I think waitstaff are underpaid? No. Not even with them 'making less than minimum wage'. Do I tip? At least 20% when DH and I go out, which is once or twice a week. I've only tipped less three times. All three times we had to get the manager to do the server's job, too.

Comment

Ok Last night I met up with 4 males (I am female) to have a few drinks at a chain establisment that is known for its "Out of this world" Selection of beers.
                The waitresses currently wear skimpy little plaid skirts that in some cases would be more of a really wide belt than skirt but that's another story for another day.
                Basically the waitress felt I was not worth paying attention to. She would deliver drinks and twice actually bumped my nose from standing behind me and reaching her arm over in front of me to serve one the guys. When she would take orders two of the guys would take turns and directly ask me if I needed anything at the moment . . .because she wouldn't otherwise.
                two of the guys left, then I left, I heard from one of the two that were still their that she told them I was cheap as I hadn't really tipped her. Ummm tab was $15 and change I left her $2 so no not 15% but I did tip even with her poor treatment of me.
                Now I know how my friends handled the situation (yes, they made me proud). . . .but what are your thoughts? What would you have done in my place? In my friends place?

Comment

What's wrong with making eight an hour minimum wage? I used to make two fifteen an hour minimum wage.

It depends on the state where you serve if the federal rule is enforced. In a red state, you better believe it. In a blue state, sometimes minimum wage is their base pay and they build tips on top of that. I've heard Washington is like that.
                  Last edited by EclipseDragon986; 08-07-2007, 06:06 PM.
                  Every Time I help a customer, I feel dirty inside.

Also cold and wet.

Sticky, too.

Comment

(First post)

I always try to tip at least 15-20%, even if the service is less than average. The only time I don't tip is when I feel the service was absolutely terrible (like once I had a problem with my order and tried to get it resolved politely, and the waitress actually rolled her eyes at me and generally acted like it was such a bother).

Last weekend at Red Lobster I had one of the best waitresses ever. I think I wound up leaving her 25-30% and left a comment on the receipt about how impressed I was. We never had to wait on refills and it was just generally a great experience.

I think in our state they have the rule about guaranteeing minimum wage, but my tipping policy would change very little if I knew that their base pay was minimum wage. In my opinion, if it's not self-service, then it just seems right. I even tip at Sonic, especially when the weather's extreme.

Oh, that reminds me. I'm a truck driver and occasionally find myself in hotel rooms. A few years ago I was in Indianapolis (on the day of the Indy 500) and there was a tornado that hit very close (and passed over) my hotel. Unfortunately I had just ordered pizza for delivery...they guy still came and I think I gave him about $20 tip for his trouble!

Comment

Quoth Emrld View Post
                      Now I know how my friends handled the situation (yes, they made me proud). . . .but what are your thoughts? What would you have done in my place? In my friends place?
                      I wouldn't have tipped her a thing after that treatment. You were more than generous!

Comment

I'm in the "you get what you earn" camp. I empathize with understaffed waitpeople. If it's a situation where they are honestly trying, but the food just isn't coming, you know it. Competant waitstaff keep communication going. I've waited 45 minutes to an hour for food. Good waitstaff kept the coffee coming and apologized. They explained they were down 2 people.

I kept my mouth shut and talked to my companions. Hell, I almost grabbed an apron and helped out (wife chickened out:P) She still got a tip (food SUUUUUCKED)

Now I've been in the opposite situation. Empty floor, 40 minute wait, cold food. Tip? Left a bent spoon on my plate.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          Now pizza boys/girls, they get at least minimum wage and a delivery fee, and a tip.
                          That's not necessarily totally true...I worked for years at a very large pizza chain, and the drivers didn't see one dime of the delivery fee that is tacked onto the price. That goes straight back to the company in many, many pizza restaurants.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                            In which case it doesn't matter how much you tip; you're not staying past close.
                            Yes, I do.

I've been at a bar in excess of 5 AM on the weekends, not necessarily drinking after last call. You can stay in the bar, but the bar itself is closed. In some weird way I ended up friends with everybody there (bartenders, waitresses, managers) and we all just hang out talking, finishing drinks after last call and detoxing before going home.

What I mean is the more you drop, the more likely they are to let you just hang around for a while or get away with a little more sillyness than usual.

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                              I noticed this when I worked as a valet. We made pretty decent money, and since I valeted at a hospital, it was free valet, but still, tipping paid for my lunch, most days. It was always the customers in the rundown beaters that tipped well, and well-dressed men driving a Lexus or Cadillac that stiffed you. This taught me to never judge a customer by their appearance, especially in terms of tips--I may be in my sweats, but that's just cuz it's my day off, buddy.
                              I admit, I rarely tipped the valets at the Women's Clinic (same building as the Maternity ward). At first, it just never occurred to me. When it did, I always felt embarrassed because I rarely have cash on me. But when I had a few bucks, I'd slip a bit to the guy who took my car, and the one who brought it back. I made sure to split it because sometimes the wait times would cause me to get out after they'd closed up shop and left keys at Reception.
                              Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
                                Yes, I do.

I've been at a bar in excess of 5 AM on the weekends, not necessarily drinking after last call. You can stay in the bar, but the bar itself is closed. In some weird way I ended up friends with everybody there (bartenders, waitresses, managers) and we all just hang out talking, finishing drinks after last call and detoxing before going home.

What I mean is the more you drop, the more likely they are to let you just hang around for a while or get away with a little more sillyness than usual.
                                Oh, okay. Danke schoen.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X