This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth myswtghst View Post
    to two pennies under an upturned and full water glass for a particularly horrendous biatch who abused my family and I at an overpriced restaurant.
    Happened to have a playing card with you that day, huh?

Quoth Jester View Post
    Now, if you DO go back and make it up next time, more power to you, you are without question a better person than the rest of the people who use this line.
    Say, for instance, the time I went down to the company cafeteria, forgot my wallet, and only figured it out after getting to the register?
    The lady working register that day said something to the effect of, "I see you down here often enough, I know you work here, and you can just pay it back when you come down next time." and comped my lunch, or whatever.
    Next day, I had my wallet firmly in hand, and sought out that particular lady, and told her, "I owe you for a lunch from yesterday."
    Her eyes got wide, and I could tell she was thinking something along the lines of, "I never expected you to actually come back to pay for it..."
    I paid her back, and she was happy about it. And, thus, my honor went unsullied, for a few more years.
    Last edited by Imogene; 08-21-2007, 06:53 PM. Reason: Merging posts
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      Boozy, I know what icmedia said. And I reiterate that the law does not state that you have to declare a certain percentage of your sales, but that you have to declare 100% of the tips you earn. At least, it has every place I have worked. Individual results may vary, as I am not a lawyer and have not worked in every state. (Just 34 of them.)

But again, I have yet to meet a server who actually DOES that.
      Oh, I get you what you're saying now. So for example, a server may make better tips than what the state thinks they should, but they gotta claim them all anyway. I understand.

And you're right - I've never met a server who does that either.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
        Happened to have a playing card with you that day, huh?
        Huh? What does that mean? (Sorry if that's a stupid question )

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
          Huh? What does that mean? (Sorry if that's a stupid question )
          You put the card over the mouth of the glass of water when you turn it upside down, so none of it spills, then pull the card out once it's on the table. You then have an upside down glass full of water that is going to be very difficult to remove without a mess.

The beneath it were, apparently, just to drive home the point.
          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Just to throw something in to the "tip" jar.

Don't assume I'm going to stiff you. Wife and I went out Friday night. Our food came before our appetizer, we said something to the waitress, obviously. The manager came out and apologized and comped the appetizer. After that our waitress got kind of bad. She stopped coming by as much, would blow by the table, etc.

I still tipped her 15% of what the original bill was. Why? Because a) she might have gotten reemed out) or b) my assumption, she thought I was going to be a jerk and stiff her because of it. It wasn't her fault, so why should I? She would have gotten more than 15% if she had been better. But I gave her that just to say "you shouldn't think I'm going to be an ass hat"

Comment

Tipping

Being raised to respect people I only not tip of the service is really really bad.

I start at about 20 percent. If I'm in a group where we ask for seperate checks I add a bit. Anything extra I add a bit.

Luckily the group I regularly dine with we have about the same tipping philosophies. It can be a pain if everyone tips really differently.

Due to circumstances I have to take a cab every day for part of my commute in the morning. The fare is 4.00 I always give the driver a 5. (I work a mile and a third from the closest bus stop. I have knee problems so walking is out of the question. I have a friend who works Part time who lives near me that takes me home for 15 bucks a week - it's about half a mile out of her way to drop me off. 2 blocks off the street she'd drive straight home)

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
                You put the card over the mouth of the glass of water when you turn it upside down, so none of it spills,
                That was the only way I could think of for her to have overturned a full glass of water.
                Also, be absolutely certain the playing card is stuck well to the glass before flipping, or spillage will ensue.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

draftermatt I get terribly annoyed by that whole cycle in restaurants. Sometimes if I go out to lunch by myself, on my day off, in my sweats with a book, I'll get poor service from someone who thinks I won't tip well. And while I don't want to prove him/her right, I don't want to tip more than they've earned, and I'm left in a quandry which usually is resolved based on my mood--if I'm in a good mood, good tip, bad mood, bad tip.

And I actually did the upturned water glass with a drink menu off the table that was just a laminated card. I wouldn't have done it if the waitress hadn't been as utterly terrible as she was.
                  "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I'd need more than two hands to count off the guys I've dumped after the first date based on the way they treated the wait staff.

The first three that come to mind are now wifebeaters...and another one, by far the worst one (INSISTED that I stiff the waitress on her tip for a $40+ tab, regardless that it was exceptional service and she was a friend of mine---he was such an ass that I was morbidly embarrassed and just wanted to get him out of there, and I went back later and gave her a $20 on top of the two dollars that he LET me leave), at any rate, the worst one I had to take out a stalking citation against after 1 1/2 dates.....you can guess which one was the half date.
                    ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what was his stated rationale for stiffing exeptional service? I love to hear bad reasoning.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Just out of curiousity, what was his stated rationale for stiffing exeptional service? I love to hear bad reasoning.
                        Oh, I'm sure he'd come up with some lame fake excuse like "its the principle" or some such thing.

Because no one is so honest as to say "I'm just a cheap f*%$ker" on the first date.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

"They make plenty of money just from their wages, let these other idiots (referring to other patrons around us, who COULD hear him) leave extra money for them."

Then some strange ranting about tax evasion, the welfare state, and leeching off of the kindness of others. Then it just got weirder and more disjointed from there.

This guy was scary. He was totally normal up to that night, then he just went off the deepend. And I knew him for quite awhile BEFORE we went out on a date.....yeah, there's no decent guys around here. I'll have to import someone to fix my computer and make me breakfast......and let me go to conventions half nekkid in the chainmaille bikini I'm working on.....

WTB geek to mow my lawn in a speedo.

Oh and he couldn't say that he was a cheap ass fucker, seein as we were going out on MY dime.
                          Last edited by zzapp the witch; 08-25-2007, 04:14 AM.
                          ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth BdwayBabu799 View Post
                            Now one time, while vacationing, I had horrible service. The food was good but the waitress was very rude, slammed my food down when serving it. I tried to be very polite to no aval. She was just a nasty person. My grandma said when you get service like that leave a penny, I didn't have it in me, so I gave 10% and she chased me out of the restaurant and threw the tip at me she yelled"keep your f***ing money!"
                            My experience is a tad different. NYC, some shithole Chinese place. The service was standard at best, but the food was HORRENDOUS. My food was not good, just blah, and my friend's pork rice was cold - not undercooked, I tried that shit, it was like 36 degrees Fahrenheit! Sent it back, it came back luke warm. we left, left the bill amount, but no tip. The waiter chased our asses out, yelling, "You no leave tip! You no leave tip!"

I understand that the waiter didn't cook the meal. But we complained once, and got no satisfaction, what are we supposed to do? We paid our legal obligation (the price of our meals) and nothing else. PERIOD. I have NO REGRETS over that transaction.

But that's my "far end of the bell curve" example. The worst ever.

Joe

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                            Don't assume I'm going to stiff you. Wife and I went out Friday night. Our food came before our appetizer, we said something to the waitress, obviously. The manager came out and apologized and comped the appetizer. After that our waitress got kind of bad. She stopped coming by as much, would blow by the table, etc.

I still tipped her 15% of what the original bill was. Why? Because a) she might have gotten reemed out) or b) my assumption, she thought I was going to be a jerk and stiff her because of it. It wasn't her fault, so why should I? She would have gotten more than 15% if she had been better. But I gave her that just to say "you shouldn't think I'm going to be an ass hat"
                            Yeah, but... her behavior was her own choice. You need to tip on the service you get, not the service we'd all get in an ideal world.

Joe
                            Last edited by Ree; 08-25-2007, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Quoth kibbles
                              Ohhhhh, IMO that's a good way to "tip" particularly for the waiters/waitresses that are actively and purposely rude for no reason
                              Actually, I think that type of thing is a prime example of sucky customer in action.

I don't care how bad the waitress was, I don't think it justifies something like that.
                              There's no way to remove the glass without making a mess. The water will go all over the table. To me, that's inexcusable and just plain mean.

We do not condone revenge here, and in my opinion, that is revenge.

Why give ideas to sucky customers who may come here to read?

I wonder how any of you would feel if someone tried that just being a smartass, because they got the idea from reading this site!
                              Last edited by Ree; 08-25-2007, 05:36 AM.
                              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                                There's no way to remove the glass without making a mess.
                                Actually, there is.

You carefully slide the card/menu back under the glass, slide the whole thing over the edge of the table, being sure to hold the card in place with your palm as it leaves the table, and then turn it upright. Either that, or slide it off the edge and let it spill into a bus-tray.

Not disagreeing with you in general, I'm just sayin'...
                                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                                X