This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow the logic.....

This is a quick one from the other day that I forgot about. Not really sucky, just illogical.

At my company, if you buy a chair from us, we can assemble it for a flat $5 charge. Doesn't matter if the chair costs $50 or $500, assembly is just $5.

This also applies to display models! If you just roll up to the register with the display (which many many people do because they don't bother to ask for one in the box. A lot of them tell me that since they didn't see one in the overhead storage on the furniture pad, that we didn't have a boxed one. I totally don't get this, because this sort of thing never stops them from asking us to check the back for OTHER stuff, but I digress) then we are required to add the $5 assembly fee. It is also stated right on the tags on EVERY chair we sell "Buy this chair assembled for only another $5" (or something to that effect). The only exception is when the display is the last of a particular chair we have, thus preventing you from buying one boxed.

Anyway.

ILW = Illogical Woman

IWL rolls up a display chair while I am covering on a register.

Me: Ma'am, just so you know, since you are buying the chair pre-assembled, I have to add a $5 assembly fee.

IWL *astonished*: But...but...it's ALREADY assembled!!

Let's think about this one for just a moment, shall we? The chair is ALREADY assembled, therefore you shouldn't have to pay the ASSEMBLY fee?

Reminded me of something from Jay Leno's Headlines. "Follow the logic: Parents Keep Kids Home to Protest School Closure"

Me: Exactly, which is why I have to add the assembly fee, ma'am.

ILW: But...but...but...but.....whatever *pays and leaves*

Like I said, not really sucky, but using the confounded logic of an SC.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I definitely get it! Too bad some customers are too illogical.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
      A lot of them tell me that since they didn't see one in the overhead storage on the furniture pad, that we didn't have a boxed one. I totally don't get this, because this sort of thing never stops them from asking us to check the back for OTHER stuff, but I digress
      If it makes sense, it's not allowed.™®©

As to the rest of the story, I can see both sides.

Yes, it's been assembled.

However, if people are buying the display model because that's the only item left, I don't see WHY they should have to pay the assembly fee. Seeing as it's the display model, it would've had to been assembled anyway.

OK, I don't think I'm making sense here. I'm going to find another thread now.
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        However, if people are buying the display model because that's the only item left, I don't see WHY they should have to pay the assembly fee. Seeing as it's the display model, it would've had to been assembled anyway.
        Actually, he did mention at the end of the 3rd paragraph, that is the only exception:

The only exception is when the display is the last of a particular chair we have, thus preventing you from buying one boxed.
        which is perfectly logical
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Why do people even pay for furniture to be assembled? I've been assembling flatpack stuff since I was 8...
          oh wait, it's for SCs/idiots?
          Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
          Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

She must've thought that the chair originally came into the store fully assembled, from wherever she imagined it comes from......the factory, the Staples warehouse, the chair gods.....

Mike
            Meow.........

Comment

And Lo, Great Seator, the Lord of Chairs, did bless his followers with many comfy recliners, save the Ottoman tribes, who required simply rocking armchairs.

Comment

Well actually whats odd is after reading the OP I was going to say I could see what her (the custoemr's side) of the equation would be. The item was assembled as a part of the natural normal procedures of the store and not as a special service for her so she rightly or wrongly figured that the assembly charge wouldnt apply since it was already built for the store and not for her. Where an assembly charge would have applied if she had requested it to be assembled for her. Makes sense to me as well that way.

Comment

Uh...but then, since she's taken the store chair, the store will naturally need to assemble another, hence the $5 fee tacked on. Ironically, I'd rather get one out of a box, rather then one that people have plonked their arse all over

Comment

Yeah, I'd never want a floor model of anything, not after I see what happens to stuff left in a store for months.

Not to mention you have no way of knowing how the item was assembled. If I end up on the floor when my chair falls apart, at least I know it was from my own workmanship.
                    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Well true I never said it was brilliant logic but it does make sense to me that she could see it like that as I sorta do as well.

An employee has to assemble the display as a part of the normal set up for the store's displays. Not as a service to a customer. If the custoemr takes said already assembled chair they have not requested or needed the service of assembly. The next chair that is assembled is not being done so for a customer either but as a part of the normal procedures for the store. So Aside from the store policy of assigning an assembly fee to any assembled product regardless of creation itme or source then I'm not sure I see a reason for the assembly fee at that point either. Other than its store policy, which in the end trumps all logic or illogic there is. *shrug*

I"ll agree I'd rather put the thing together myself and only take a display as a last call so that way I know I'm the first one to have dealt with this thing and I can make any mods I feel required (like beefing up a flimsy shelf so my tv would not fall through the stupid thing) without having to deal with the thing already being built.

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                        Not to mention you have no way of knowing how the item was assembled. If I end up on the floor when my chair falls apart, at least I know it was from my own workmanship.
                        At my store the displays are kinda just slapped together haphazardly. At least the ones we have to put together. For some items the display has to be assembled by a vendor rep.

I make an exception for chairs or barstools. People do pull them off the shelf and sit in them. Not good to have them disintegrate right there in the store.

Something unusual (or maybe not) I've mentioned before: In Wisconsin state law forbids us from selling any displays of infant furniture--those have to be tossed.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                          Yeah, I'd never want a floor model of anything, not after I see what happens to stuff left in a store for months.

Or because you bought a chair from staples.... serveral times

*mumbles about demonic, crappliy manufactured furniture*
                          Linux user (Debian and Kubuntu)
                          Programmer in C and perl!

I'm "only" 16 but do NOT try and outskill me with machines

Comment

Quoth Rahmota View Post
                            An employee has to assemble the display as a part of the normal set up for the store's displays. Not as a service to a customer. If the custoemr takes said already assembled chair they have not requested or needed the service of assembly. The next chair that is assembled is not being done so for a customer either but as a part of the normal procedures for the store. So Aside from the store policy of assigning an assembly fee to any assembled product regardless of creation itme or source then I'm not sure I see a reason for the assembly fee at that point either. Other than its store policy, which in the end trumps all logic or illogic there is. *shrug*
                            Well, normally, a customer is supposed to ask for assistance with all furniture, and usually they do. In this case, 95% of the time they take the boxed product and skip the $5 fee.

What happened here happens only in a minority of cases. They didn't ask, they assumed they could just take. Now that's fine, but by taking the display, they are creating extra work for the store; we now have to build another chair. Hence the fee.

What I neglected to pointout is if they don't want to pay the fee, there's always the option of taking one boxed (if we have one; if we don't the fee is waived). Many times the customer will take this option.

And for the record, the guy who does all of our chair assemblies is very knowledgable and does a good job of it. After all, if we screw up an assembly, that's a major liability issue, even if it's "merely" the display model.
                            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                            X