This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid things customers say

I work at membership, but occasionally when we're busy, I help pack on the front end.

I had a woman come up to me with an order, and one of the items was a cooked chicken. She immediately took it out of the cart and held it out to me and proclaimed in a yelling tone, "THIS CHICKEN IS HOT."

No $&#@, lady.

What she meant was that she didn't want it in the same boxes as her frozen items. Now, I'm almost 21, and I think I have common sense enough to know I shouldn't proceed to take the chicken and pour it and it's scalding hot juices all over her frozen Snickers bars.
    "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

People tell me to bag chickens by themself all the time too. It's amazing they think I need to be told that. I always put the chicken in a plastic bag, tie it, and then put it in another bag. For those who don't remind me, they thank me for doing it, but those who do "remind" me, don't thank me.

Comment

Quoth disneyfav4ever View Post
      People tell me to bag chickens by themself all the time too. It's amazing they think I need to be told that. I always put the chicken in a plastic bag, tie it, and then put it in another bag. For those who don't remind me, they thank me for doing it, but those who do "remind" me, don't thank me.
      I guess it's because they've actually, at one point or other in the past, have run into a cashier and/or bagger who would throw anything and everything into the same bag.

Frankly, I've run into that too. I don't want my hot stuff in with the cold, but I've seen people do it anyways. I also don't want cleaning stuff in with food - yet I've had to on rare occasion explain to a cashier b/c she/he was bagging food with detergent.

So, I guess for some customers it's become a habit of sorts. Annoying for the majority of people who try to do their job correctly, yes. But you can thank the SE's for their lack of caring that makes it harder on us to cope.

Just my worth
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth disneyfav4ever View Post
        Oh, yeah! I do that EVERY TIME. We actually grab special sized boxes to put the chicken so it sits flat, and it's the only thing in the box too.

Comment

I only shop where there are self checkouts when buying groceries. That way if anything is smashed or leaking, it's my own stupid fault.

Even though I am a grocery store veteran, there's been a time or two in the past where I almost went postal on a bagger who tried to put Drano and JetDry in with my produce.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Oh yea, but I wouldn't say anything unless they actually did it first.

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
              Oh yea, but I wouldn't say anything unless they actually did it first.
              Yeah I think that is the best approach.

Also you can help your cashier by placing all the items you want together in sections on the conveyor belt if you really care that much.

I personally don't care how they pack it. Soap or detergent in with my food won't hurt it thanks to the excessive packaging and even if it did leak out I'd just bloody rinse my food before eating/cooking it. If someone put something hot in with my cold I'd just repack it myself afterwards. It's not a big deal
              Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Quoth Special Patrol Group View Post
                I personally don't care how they pack it. Soap or detergent in with my food won't hurt it thanks to the excessive packaging and even if it did leak out I'd just bloody rinse my food before eating/cooking it. If someone put something hot in with my cold I'd just repack it myself afterwards. It's not a big deal
                Personally, I want my bags packed properly and expect the bagger to know what to do. It is not too difficult and almost every bagger I have met has known how to separate and classify items for bagging. There have been many posts on this board from baggers complaining of people pulling things out of bags and repacking everything right after the bagger finished.

The woman in Nakajo's OP was paranoid and silly in how she anticipated the bagger would be incompetent and therefore not able to comprehend that hot, items with the potential to slosh their contents do not go next to ice cream. She probably is the type that hovers over the bagger to tell him/her that bread does not go under canned goods.
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Completely true. I'd get the people that would stand RIGHT behind me. Invading personal space... it was disturbing. So I'd whip around real quick, yell EXCUSE ME, get more boxes, and move around a LOT so they couldn't do that $%*^ without getting in the way. They'd get the message and go back to their spot... sometimes.

There was a creepy guy that would do it everytime... stand two inches behind you everytime he came in, until a manager told him off because he scared a newbie packer, and told him if he did it again, he'd consider it harassment and kick him out.

Comment

Quoth Special Patrol Group View Post
                    Yeah I think that is the best approach.

Also you can help your cashier by placing all the items you want together in sections on the conveyor belt if you really care that much.

I do this...I always put all cold stuff together on the belt, boxes with boxes, produce together, etc. It just makes things easier when I get home and have to unpack it all. If all the frozen stuff is in one bag, I can just go through the garage and stick it in the freezer on my way into the house.

I don't mind cleaning stuff with food for the most part...that's assuming it's a well-sealed container and it's with canned or boxed stuff. I wouldn't want it in with produce or loosely sealed things like bakery goods or whatever.

What really bugs me is when they stick 2 tiny things in a separate bag for no real reason. I try to limit the number of bags as much as possible. When they do that I'll just move them into one of my other bags and leave the empty neatly at the end of the counter.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                    X