Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first story. People, don't destroy your kids' heads. (long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth scruff View Post
    *grin*
    I've probably got PCOS (see link)
    All I need is the hat, and you owe me candyfloss and whatever funnelcakes are.
    http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...0&sectionId=10
    ha i beat you, i fit all of including the hat!! (yes i do have PCOS, im the victum of a genetic gernade...)

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
      ha i beat you, i fit all of including the hat!! (yes i do have PCOS, im the victum of a genetic gernade...)
      Darn. :-) Can I share the candyfloss?
      (and any razor tips would be appreciated.)

Comment

Quoth Deus Machina View Post
        Fine, lady, I'll reply to "ma'am" as soon as you find me a woman with my fashion in clothes and facial hair.
        Hi. I'm Tria, pleased to meet you. Hehe, I do have facial hair.

Comment

I've also had people call me "ma'am" before, but it's always adults, and almost always when they approach from the side.
          Used to get that all the time. Now I've got a beard-ish thing going on, sideburns, and the long hair. I'm more of a hippie than a ma'am. I also have a pretty deep voice, so unless we're talking the chain-smoking bearded lady, I'm in no way anything close to ma'am. Still get called it, and I shock the hell out of people when I drop my voice to Darth Vader deepness and tell them that I'm a guy. The looks are priceless.
          It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
          ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

(And I'll admit to finding a certain perverse humor when one of those groups leaders becomes sick. I'll admit it; I'm human.)
            Oh no, don't you see, it's God testing his chosen! *Gags*

Comment

"Of course not. God makes people sick for being bad people."
              So just what the hell did Arthur Ashe and Ryan White do that made them bad people?

Quoth scruff View Post
              whatever funnelcakes are.
              THESE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funnel_cake are funnel cakes. When they are fresh out of the oil and covered in powdered sugar, they are EVIL. Mmmmm....now I've got to go find a recipe and make some.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Just when I think I've hit rock bottom, my head explodes anew, and I am proven wrong.

What an ignorant stupid BITCH. "God makes people sick for being bad" - WAY to scare your kid! Now every time they get in trouble with Mommy/Daddy they're going to think God has it in for them (or their loved ones, if said family/friends do something). No wonder people grow up so fucked up, it's because of crap like that.

And if God makes people sick for being bad, why the hell then do so many scumbags and tyrants live to a ripe old age while decent people drop dead every day?
                ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

I dont think its the kids ' fault for thinking that... How old was she? She may not know better.

When I was six, I was a darling who did a lot of that. I saw a pair of Sikhs (sp) sitting once, and, according to mom, I stared at them, then said "Mom look, GENIES!"

As well, I clearly remember going around and around a gentleman with no legs in a wheelchair, trying to figure out where his legs were.

I know better now, and luckily mom (and the genies) all thought it was rather cute, and I did get explained what the guys REALLY were (well, not really detailled. I was told about turbans and its a religious thing) and the guy who lost his legs.

But Mom's comment was out of line.
                  Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

And here I was always taught that the "good die young" Which isn't necessarily true, but please.

Comment

When I was in primary school I got very sick (not cancer or anything) but sick enough for hospital

When I came back to school I was fairly weak and needed to rest a lot and my teacher told me one day that I was sick because god punished evil children and that I would contaminate all of the other children in the class, she also so kindly told the other children that I was contaigious (my illness was not in the least) and that if they touched me they would be poisoned.

The local education board fired the bitch (the princepal stood up for her even though the other children bore witness to the fact) and allowed me to move schools, to this day it still really hurts remembering that and it has made me very suspicious of a certain sect of christianity that resides in my local area.
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

First off, kudos for hoe you dealt with this. A lot of people complain about the ignorant, insensitive and outrageous things kids say, but the simple fact is a lot of the time they don't know any better. They're not willfully ignorant, in a lot of cases it's not really even bad parenting, it's just that they haven't encountered the situation enough times to know. And since these situations are embarrasing, it's hard for a parent to educate the kid on the spot, in public, without appearing stupid themselves.

You took the time to educate the kid about your long hair, did it in a nice way she could relate to, and didn't make out that she had done anything bad. Chances are next time she sees a guy with long hair, instead of wondering if they're trying to be a girl, she'll wonder if he's growing it out for sick people who've lost their hair.

However

"Mommy, will you get sick like that?"

Not "I hope not!" or "I wouldn't worry about it."

Her answer?

Jaws dropped. Never in my life have I seen such a large collective 'OMGWTF!?' look.

But to the little girl's credit, she scrunched up her forehead in the best possible 'that's not right!' look a four-year-old can possibly form.
                        Holy Great Jumping Balls of Grinch! Let's take a positive, learning moment where your child has learned a lesson about people doing nice things for the less fortunate, and in the full view of spectators let's just dump a whole load of intolerance on the lesson. Yay!

So, what, now whenever this little girl gets a cold (Which is pretty frequent for kids) she's going to believe she's bad? Great lesson Mom! I bet you if there had been a Pastor in the crowd he would have slapped her. Seriously.

Now that is an example of willful ignorance.
                        Check out my webcomic!

Comment

I let kids slide on this, usually, except for the couple times (this was the second) to explain about my hair. Until explain it, the parents just assume I'm a slacker because I currently look like a twenty-year-old Vietnam veteran beggar.

I don't even think she was angry because I got the kid to calm down. After all, the look she gave me was almost pity. The same look you give a kid that's found a bird with a broken wing. "It's pointless but, awww, he's trying to do something nice."

Seriously, I honestly don't know how some people function in society.

Comment

"So what I do, is let mine get really long. And when it's about as long as yours, I go and have it aallll cut off." I pinch a bit between a couple fingers against my scalp to show her.
                            "Why?"
                            "Because then, I give it to a place that gives it to the sick people, so they have their pretty hair back."
                            "Oh! That's nice!"
                            I you.

"Mommy, will you get sick like that?"

Not "I hope not!" or "I wouldn't worry about it."

Her answer?

Oh, that woman is so lucky I was not there at the time. (Due to my feelings right now, and not wanting to get banned, I will not go into detail.)
                            Unseen but seeing
                            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                            3rd shift needs love, too
                            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

That's truly, deeply awful, and totally false too. I...sniffle sniffle...what I meant is KOFF KOFF HAAAACCCCCCKKKKK!...darnit why can't I GAAAAH BURNING UP--ruh roh. RALLLPPPPHHHHHHHHH!

Like it? That's what my response to Mommy Dearest would be.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                                Oh, that woman is so lucky I was not there at the time.
                                I would have gone off on her as well. I had a grandmother who died from cancer, 13 years ago. To this very day, in fact. Funny that I happened to come across this thread today of all days.

My grandma was the nicest person you could ever want to know. She was a church-going woman, and not one of the mean, nasty, spiteful ones who think the label they wear makes them better than everyone else. She was nice to everyone, and she'd do just about anything to help. She certainly did not deserve to go the way she did. If someone had made a comment like that in my presence, I honestly think I would have ended up getting myself arrested.

On a related note, I borrowed $200 from her years ago, and never got around to paying it back. Actually, I never got to a point where I was able to, because I was with my ex, and all the money was always going towards the bills she ran up, if she hadn't stolen it first. Anyway, she died before I was ever able to pay it back, and I came up with the perfect way to pay it back to her: I made a $200 donation to the American Cancer Society today.

Times like this, I still miss her. One of my biggest regrets is that my son never got to know her, as he was only a baby when she died.

Sorry for the threadjack. We now return you to your regulary scheduled thread.
                                Last edited by MadMike; 08-18-2007, 05:40 PM.
                                Sometimes life is altered.
                                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                                Uneasy with confrontation.
                                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                                X