This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport fun

Here's a run down of the crazy crap airport folks deal with around the clock, as a Do/Don't list.

Firstly, get your airlines right. Know which airline you travel on, that way you can work out where you need to go. If the man at the airline desk tells you don't have a booking with his airline because there's no flight to where you're going (today/ever/no airport) jut trust him on it, don't get all insistant. If your employer books you somehere, find out where. And if you don't know where or which airline, for criminies sake, have the dignity to be royally ashamed of yourself. This has happened several times to me. One guy told me I was very unhelpful?!? I actually like the people who come to check-in for other airlines at my desk. They give me a nice little chuckle which is fun. We have a metre high sign which I can casually turn to point to and everything is in the colours of the airline, it's kind of like someone walking into a Dominos and asking for a sushi. The answer is very no dude. It's even more satisfying when they pull out their itinerary that clearly shows the other airline "Here I'll read it for you" Adult illiteracy is a serious issue! Even better are the guys who are travelling with one of the tiny charter companies running out of a shed on the other side of the entire airport. "It'll be one of the places that start over there and run all the way around that side for about 3km, Are you sure you don't know which one? If you're walking you might make it in an hour!" Dipsticks. Even funnier at night and raining.

Departure time is the time of departure! How about that! You need to be on the plane while it departs, not in the terminal trying to check-in. And not in a cafe waiting for a personal invitation. Don't wait until departure time before approaching the check-in counter. One guy waited for 3 hours before coming up at 2 minutes after dep time.

And work out what midnight is. If a flight leaves after midnight, it's on the date of the next day. If you go to the airport on late Sunday nightfor a flight that leaves at 25 past midnight on Sunday, don't expect to fly anywhere. I love it when they start to argue about when the day changes, and I have to explain to them the whole concept of midnight brings a new day. "think about New Years Eve sir, why does eveyone count down to midnight and cheer?" Classic

Showing ID. Now I've seen some posts on this forum about showing ID at retail shops, but there are people who will kick up at the airport over this. Others act all surprised and say, It's not international though. Well done genius, now show me your drivers license. The big kicker is with children travelling on their own. An airline will want to know all the details of the sender and receiver before the date of travel, seeing as they're taking temporary responsibility of some strangers kid and all. After they've checked in, we say "Don't leave the terminal till the flight has left" to the parent. How hard is that? Too hard for some like the lady who left even before the boarding call. No parent at boarding, kid doesn't fly. Parent gets a call from us and comes back shamefaced, or so they should. Occasionally one of them will have a big old bitch about it, to which we reply "We told you not to leave" and show them were they signed that they would not leave.

A boarding call meens it's time to get on board the plane, not wander off, not have a last cigarette or go to the toilet. Get off the phone. You would not beleive how many times a person has been on a mobile call standing NEXT TO the boarding gate and ignored several boarding calls including personal pages. I've looked a guy in the eye while he was on a mobile call, asked him with his name if he was on the flight and got a mumble as a reply. He stayed on the phone till after the flight had departed even while I shouted his name all around the boarding lounge. The flight departed then strolled up to board like we were going to make a couple of hundred people wait for him. The flight's departed sir, did you not hear me calling you?" He went balistic. Too bad, you snooze, you loose. This happens to varying degrees about monthly.

Everyones heard of S11, September 11, WTC twin towers and all that, Or so you'd think! The world is different now, you can't take sharp things into a airliner cabin. Or at least the rules say you shouldn't. We ask every single person at check-in if they have any sharps on themselves. One lady said "No, only a box-cutter" the very item used to hijack planes on Sept 11 2001, how about that. Some jerks just laugh. We ask again. Some jerks say "I'm not a terrorist". We say "Not the question Sir" and ask again. Besides we don't think anyones a terrorist, just a psycho waiting for the right moment to have an episode. Some jerks say that they took their precious pocket knife on another flight. I told one person once that they have comitted an offence punishable by jail time and asked for the details of where/when they were allowed to fly with a knife. All of a sudden it might have been in the checked bag. As in, down in the cargo hold where noone can stick it in anyone else's neck. We also ask if they have anything dangerous or flammable in their checked baggage. The guy who said no must've forgot he had a litre of petrol in his bag. Basically death for everyone if it got into the hold. Some jerks say they have a bomb in their bag. We take them around to security and get them to explain to them that they have comitted an offence punishable by time inside, then we tell them to go home cause they're not flying this time. The cleverest guy did it 2 days in a row I kid you not.

Showing ID. Now I've seen some posts on this forum about showing ID at retail shops, but there are people who will kick up at the airport over this. Others act all surprised and say, It's not international though. Well done genius, now show me your drivers license. The big kicker is with children travelling on their own. An airline will want to know all the details of the sender and receiver before the date of travel, seeing as they're taking temporary responsibility of some strangers kid and all. After they've checked in, we say "Don't leave the terminal till the flight has left" to the parent. How hard is that? Too hard for some like the lady who left even before the boarding call. No parent at boarding, kid doesn't fly. Parent gets a call from us and comes back shamefaced, or so they should. Occasionally one of them will have a big old bitch about it, to which we reply "We told you not to leave" and show them were they signed that they would not leave.

Getting drunk and abusive, a bloody fantastic way to waste the entire cost of an airfare and wasting everyone's time.

Fragile items. An airline won't take liability for damage to something fragile or overweight. How about a guitar with no case? "Sir, this item is likely to sustain damage, I want you to sign this saying blah blah my own stupid fault" If the airline man has a look like "holy crap, this thing is DOOMED" pick up on that. Good advice

Fragile items. An airline won't take liability for damage to something fragile or overweight. How about a guitar with no case? "Sir, this item is unlikely to journey well" read:- you item is DOOMED you idiot

"Where are you traveling to, sir?" No response - Ask again - No response (fumbles with paper)- Ask again - more fumbling - pause - "hang on a minute I've got this piece of paper" - "I probably won't need that, Sir, what is the destination of your flight?" - more fumbling "Here it is". Take a 1 second glance to determine destination and give it back, finding booking almost instantaneously. "So I didn't really need it then?" Serious, serious mental retardation. Too stupid to be true? I fear not, practically an hourly event.
    Photo ID does not mean a photo of yourself. Old ladies are nice and all, but that's just not thinking. Also keep your finger off your name when you show ID. This stuff just shouldn't need to be said out loud. Don't act all surprised when asked either. I don't know you from a stack of shizzle. Personal friends and close family show me photo ID. The CEO of the airline shows me ID you jerkass. No I don't trust you when you say who you are. And yes a driver's license is photo ID you moron. "OMG I'ts so lucky I had it on me, I didn't know you needed to show ID" And no I'm not on the lookout for fugitives and terrorists with a database of thousands of suspects on file. I'm still waiting for someone to say "Do you know who I am?" so I can get on the mike and fulfil the urban myth. I will too.

And if you're not even going to leave the state, why the hell would I care about all your medications. "I'm on Ritalin and I have a letter from xyz". Good for you freak, life's tough when you're a hypochondriac.

Excess baggage. Most airlines here in Australia have a limit of 20kg checked baggage. And I'm just itching to charge people who piss me off. If you were let off before, congrats, you got away with it. DON'T complain that "it's inconsistant to be charged now and not before" I have offered to charge for the previous flight also if they wanted. The lady who asked me how she was supposed to budget for it when it "changed all the time". I told that the weight she had should have cost her $180 even though I was charging her only $120, and for the 3 flights she was talking about it should have cost her $540. Anything less than that was a bonus. She was very humbled by that.
    Don't be surprised if you can't take 100kg on your own without charge. 11 items at 100kg this guy thought he'd take. Firstly I DON'T CARE why you're taking it. "I'm moving, I need it for xyz, it's not mine, they asked me to take it there" Once again IDC. "You shouldn't charge me, it's not mine" that's so precious, and stupid. Hello? seriously? I wasn't asking for a life story, just money. Don't get all smart about "fat people weigh more, why don't you charge them?" Plenty of reasons, but the best is that passengers are "self-loading cargo" and bags need to be carried by a paid employee. Same reason why garlic bread costs more than 20c at a restaurant, some sucker's gotta DO it for you.

There's a certain type of aged man, in his 50's. Others like him were successful earlier in life and now they run the world's nation and corporations. These other guys failed miserably to grasp the changing world and now feel the need to pay for shit in sweaty cash. Get on the phone, get on the internet, go to a travel agent. Don't believe in (can't get a) credit card? Get a debit card you feeble minded git. Don't drive all the way to the airport and park in the most expensive parking in the STATE to buy yourself a ticket. There was the genius who came to the counter at precisely the most hectic time of the entire 24 hour day (about 11pm for those at home) to buy a ticket for the day after. We told him to wait for us to check in for the flight about to leave. Unavoidable but highly satisfying. We eventually got to him, went through the whole thing right to the point of handing over the folding, when BINGO he pulls out pounds crapping sterling. As in the currency of the UK of GB & NI. British money. Now for those skim reading, this is in Australia and it's a domestic airport. We've had our own currency since 1848 and it's been dollars since 1966. This guy was scottish but had lived in Aus for 24 years. He went away to find a currency exchange and came back about 10 minutes after we were supposed to be closed and got his ticket. Needless to say he was unpleasant to say the least at every turn.

Flights get delayed shock horror it happens, just face it. Whinging and whining is not going to help. Sometimes there is bad weather and you're flight can't go boohoo. These things happen, we don't control the weather, that's GOD. I'm sorry on behalf of The Almighty.

That pretty much covers what I can think of for now. Mostly it comes down to "I didn't realise, noone told me" or "they told me different" to which the simple response is "Well now I'm telling you" and "So who is they?"
    Last edited by 66biscuits; 08-06-2006, 06:56 PM.

Some jerks say they have a bomb in their bag. We take them around to security and get them to explain to them that they have comitted an offence punishable by time inside, then we tell them to go home cause they're not flying this time. The cleverest guy did it 2 days in a row I kid you not.
    I had that my first time in Las Vegas. We were in McCarren going through security for our flight back home and there was a fairly sloshed guy in the line in front of us. Somebody he was travleing with said something to him, and he responded very loudly: "Oh, it'll explode!"

The security officers shut everything down, loudly demanded to know who said that, and surrounded the guy. They gave him a stern talking-to, but didn't have him arrested.

I overheard one of his traveling companions lament "He just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut." No kidding.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      "Oh, it'll explode!"
      MAD magazine had a Dave Berg cartoon about a passenger being arrested while boarding for calling the announced in-flight movie a bomb--and this was in the 1970s. Just a reminder it might be good for our sanity to remember that not every restriction we labour under was just created for our generation; in this regard it's healthy to read old books sometimes.
      I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

When I was coming back from Australia in June, the security was really heavy.
        I think there had been some major political/terrorism events in the days prior.

I was even asked to take off my shoes, and had my clothing and bags checked for explosive residue, even though I had been on a total of 6 flights during my entire holiday, and so, had been through 6 prior screenings and hadn't had to do any of that.

I did it with no bitching because, even though I knew I was OK, they didn't, and I was happy that they were being careful if it meant I would get back to my family in one piece. (Although it did cross my mind that, when they were busy with me, who was sneaking through, undetected? )

At one checkpoint, there was a young teen couple ahead of me. I think the guy thought he was being funny because when the security guy asked him if he had anything in his bag, he said, "Oh, just a gun."

I was surprised that the guy didn't get more hardass with him, but he just warned him that it was a very stupid thing to even joke about.
        The kid felt kind of stupid, I think.

I was ready to hit the kid over the head with my carry-on bag, because, after the lengthy wait to get through security, after being told by one security guy that it would be faster if I went to the other gate, only to be told by the security there that his sending everyone down there had created a backlog, and I needed to go back to where I came from, I was desperately afraid of missing my flight that was actually in the process of boarding as I was standing behind that clown.

I saw so much suckiness by my fellow passengers that I really gained a whole new respect for what you guys do.
        Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

The Allentown, Pennsylvania airport has big signs just as you go into the check-through area that say, though I don't remember the exact wording, Don't even THINK about joking about explosives in your baggage, you WILL face jail time. (Why anyone would think those jokes were funny is beyond me.)

Those folks, pleasant as they were, were not people I'd want to do that to. They could easily pick you up with one hand and drop you on the curb outside, if for no other reason than being sick and tired of stupidity. "Yes, Sir, laptop open, shoes on top of the bag, my knitting needles and yarn are in the baggage, I have sewing needles with my project in my carry-on. Anything you say, Sir. And thanks for being respectful of my stuff." (And I did sincerely mean that.)

Comment

rule number 99: dont ever be stupid enough to walk through LAX on the annaversiary of 911 wearing a t shirt with "MOROCCO" on it, you will be stopped by every single security agent from check in to the plane, your bag will be searched time and time again and you will be questioned numerous times

"are you moroccan?, have you just been to morocco? do you live in morocco? are you in transit to or from morocco? do you now or have you ever had anything to do with morocco? were is your passport? this isnt a moroccan passport! when were you in morocco?"

and it will be your own damn fault!

not that I have ever done anything like that....
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

He wanted to spend British Pounds in Australia! How, not even in the same hemisphere. Anywhat during my senior trip to Orlando (2003) one the guys(a jock) in my class set off a metal detector with his belt buckle. He started joking about how it was "the shiv I shoved up my ass" and to of his friends started laughing and one of them high-fived him. Guess what security did to the the 3 of them (they did manage to get on the flight). Our chaperones were pissed.
              Mon aéroglisseur est plein des anguilles!"

Comment

Sidenote to list above: It might be easier to just watch the entire series of Airline, and make sure you don't do anything that got the people thrown out of the terminal.

Rule #2: Do NOT speed into the airport parking, right past a speedometer, particularly if a cop is waiting inside to catch speeders. No matter the fact that your other friend told you 'No cop, no stop', when the flight the third friend absolutely has to catch leaves in twenty minutes. The cop will stop you, and then lecture you through friend #3's window. And friend #3 will spend the night sleeping outside the terminal after missing the flight home, and will grab the first flight out in the morning, though not without trying to make a mad dash to the plane anyway.
                Yes, that one did happen to me... a great way to end a trip to Alabama to go to an anime convention...
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                  Sidenote to list above: It might be easier to just watch the entire series of Airline, and make sure you don't do anything that got the people thrown out of the terminal.
                  Awww, I was gonna mention that show. It was one of my guilty pleasures. I think it should be required viewing for some people.

Don't get all smart about "fat people weigh more, why don't you charge them?"
                  Funny thing about that is at least in the US, many aircarriers will require overwieight people to purchase a second ticket if they are too big to fit comfortably in the seat (so as to keep the person next the big person from getting squished).

Comment

Quoth 66biscuits View Post
                    And work out what midnight is. If a flight leaves after midnight, it's on the date of the next day. If you go to the airport on late Sunday nightfor a flight that leaves at 25 past midnight on Sunday, don't expect to fly anywhere. I love it when they start to argue about when the day changes, and I have to explain to them the whole concept of midnight brings a new day. "think about New Years Eve sir, why does eveyone count down to midnight and cheer?" Classic
                    "It can't be Monday morning because my calendar says it's still Sunday."

After all, they expect store hours to conform to their watches; why wouldn't they expect airline schedules to conform to their calendars?
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth 66biscuits View Post
                      Some jerks say that they took their precious pocket knife on another flight. I told one person once that they have comitted an offence punishable by jail time and asked for the details of where/when they were allowed to fly with a knife.
                      Oh heck, that's nothing. Airline security is a joke, especialy here in the US. People leave knives in their bags accidentaly or intentionaly and get through onto planes. They where even fouind to not follow their own rules and took away things that where prefectly OK to take on. Heck, one guy at the range accidentaly left a few rounds of ammo at the bottom of his bag when he took out his shooting stuff and loaded it with clothes for a trip and didn't find it until he got back home. The fact is that anyone who wants to can blow up a plane. The best you can do is stop some of them. At least from what I have seen, airline security is staffed by people from the bottom of the barrel. All airline security is doing nowadays is pissing everyone off more, stealing knives and other items, and selling them on Ebay. Airliners are no more secure than before 9/11.
                      Last edited by Crosshair; 08-07-2006, 07:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
                      "Magic sometimes sounds like tape." - The Amazing Johnathan

Comment

My biggest peeve is dumbasses on the plane. Taking forever to sit down & too much carryon crap. Get in, get moving & get in your damned seat. I've got it down to a science, travel light, bring half the amount of clothes & twice the amount of cash . And a knapsack for carryon that goes under the seat.

End whine
                        "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

I do not travel much but I when I go to the airport I do my business and get on with my day. I have a huge respect for airline workers because of what they had to go through. I actually witnessed a SC at Newark when I was coming home from NYC. He was complaining how his privacy was being invaded at the security gates of all places. He was told of the procedure and every one had to do it but he still complained.
                          The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

I'm all for no sharps on flights, x-raying baggage, no lighters or matches (flights are non-smoking, what would you need them for?), but I think randomly pulling people out to search them and their baggage is stupid. Only if there is a valid reason, such as something wierd shows on the x-ray, or they beep going through the metal detector twice, stuff like that. I miss the days where you only had to show up an hour early for a flight.
                            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Crosshair View Post
                              Oh heck, that's nothing. Airline security is a joke, especialy here in the US...
                              ...At least from what I have seen, airline security is staffed by people from the bottom of the barrel. All airline security is doing nowadays is pissing everyone off more, stealing knives and other items, and selling them on Ebay. Airliners are no more secure than before 9/11.
                              I don't really know where you've been flying, or what you've been reading, but that seems like a pretty inflammatory statement to make in a thread started by an airline employee.
                              Without actual proof to back up those statements, you really have no business making those kinds of accusations.
                              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                              X