Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You only need a TV license if your TV can can pick up TV signals. (e.g. You don't need one if all you use a TV for is to watch DVDs, and it isn't plugged into an aerial.)

You can get the TV License people to stop sending you letters just by ringing them up, and telling them that you dont have a TV. Though then they tell you that they'll send round one of their TV detector vans/inspectors. (Although no one ever showed up when I did that )

Comment

That's what I did, Munty. They claimed it would be a detector van, and later on I got a letter saying it would need a visit from one of their guys and I should cooperate in any way necessary (more powers than the police those buggers), and I'm still waiting.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Munty View Post
        You only need a TV license if your TV can can pick up TV signals. (e.g. You don't need one if all you use a TV for is to watch DVDs, and it isn't plugged into an aerial.)

You can get the TV License people to stop sending you letters just by ringing them up, and telling them that you dont have a TV. Though then they tell you that they'll send round one of their TV detector vans/inspectors. (Although no one ever showed up when I did that )
        In Theory, If you used your TV only to play your game console or too watch DVD then you wouldn't need a License. But they really don't look at it like that and you would probably end up in Court anyway. Shops by law have to record the name and address of everybody who buys a TV Set, VCR or Recordable DVD Player - anything with a TUNER. OK you can give an address of one of your family members who have a tv license, but if your buying a VCR for example just to record CCTV footage why should you have to.

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        That's what I did, Munty. They claimed it would be a detector van, and later on I got a letter saying it would need a visit from one of their guys and I should cooperate in any way necessary (more powers than the police those buggers), and I'm still waiting.

Rapscallion
        We didn't have a TV License for years and years and years, they sent the odd later stating the address isn't registered as having a license and if we were using a tv we would be in really bad trouble. Anybody who knocked on the Door who was carrying a clipboard, would get the door ignored. Seemed to work until the day my Mum was cleaning the front windows had the door open and the tv could be heard. £300 fine, don't get a license within 14 days and it's a £1000 fine next time.

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
          Convenience?

For the sake of the kids?

Because she can/wants to?
          Fair enough, plenty of reasons why she wanted to keep her husbands name. But that doesn't excuse her from having to have the right documentation.

The only proof of Identity the UK Passport Office will accept is a Birth Certificate and if your name now doesn't match the name on the Birth Certificate then you need to show Evidence of this change.

Since the woman was divorced and she had to surrender her Marriage Certificate, there's no way shes getting a Passport in her Married name... unless she changes it officially via UK Deed Poll.

Comment

Quoth UK Worker View Post
            In Theory, If you used your TV only to play your game console or too watch DVD then you wouldn't need a License. But they really don't look at it like that and you would probably end up in Court anyway.
            Sounds like they're assuming guilt before it is proven, which is against natural law. I'm fairly sure that could be challenged in court, though I'd have to check.

Rapscallion

Comment

Had a really snobby customer yesterday who came to cash her benefit cheque.

It was for £450, I went in my draw to get the £450 in 20's and one 10. I was just about to count the money in front of her:

Customer: You can put that back, heres a break down of what I want. (Giving me a bit of paper)

She wanted £155 in £5 notes, £35 in 20p coins, £50 in 10p coins, £1 in 2p coins...... and so on.

Me: Sorry we've not a bank... you can have it in 20's, 10's - I can give you a few £5 notes (quite rare in the UK, so we don't have that many of them). I can also spare £20 in pound coins and £20 in two pound coins (since these come in bags of £20 and I had a few spare in my draw)

There was no way I was pissing around counting and using up all my float in my till giving her what she then went on to DEMAND.

I then went on to count her money in front of her and as I went to hand it to her she said "What you giving me that for, I want it broken down like I asked for".

I refused and she demanded to see the manager. He came out and after being shouted at by the customer he agreed... like a spineless wimp he is.

I then spent 15 minutes counting piles of coins.... she even wanted strange numbers of coins like 9 50p coins.... why 9

As I was doing all this she kept asking for stuff like 2 stamps, giving me the money and me losing count getting the money she just gave me and the money I'd been counting mixed up and then having to start again.

That night my till was £9 DOWN..... first time it's ever been down by a large amount like that. Normally it's spot on or approx 15p down or up.

I knew it was to do with that woman but my manager acted like I was a criminal... I just turned round and said why don't you just COME out with it and ask me if I stole it.

I have the odd customer ask me to split the odd £5 or £10. I have no problem with this. I also have the odd customer ask me to change a bag of 20p into a note. As long as there's the right amount of coins in a bag and they don't take the piss like bring in 50 bags then I'd do it for them - although we really are not suppose to do it and send them to a bank. But if anybody ever brings in say £60 in mixed coins and dumped them on the counter, I'd tell them to bugger off.

Mind you my manager would probably agree and ask me to do it.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                It gets interesting if you don't own a television. I've had to tell them that I don't have one, and I received a rather charming, red-bordered letter to say that I'd better not be lying and that they would be checking up on me.

If they put programmes on that were worth watching, of course...

Raspcallion
                Hey, I like seeing that loudmouth Clarkson bitch about American Crap cars while orgasming over some Italian Superbeasts.

Comment

Got to tell you this one:

Customer: (Standing in the QUEUE) Shouting random comments about how sick he is that every time he comes in here to buy a stamp he ends up spending half the day queueing up. Stuff like that. OK it was a busy day and there was a few staff off sick, but people were just putting up with it. I mean there's nothing else you can do about it is there. Anyway he must of been in the QUEUE 15 minutes when it was me who finally served him.

Customer: Just a 1st class stamp

Me: Just 1

Customer: That's what I asked for wasn't it.

(He then went on about how he comes in every Saturday to buy a stamp and that theres always a QUEUE.)

Me: (As I was opening my stamp folder) We sell books of stamps if your interested.

Customer: Look if I wanted a book i'd bloody ask for a book OK - 1 F I R S T C L A S S - S T A M P Pleaseeeee.

Me: Right OK.... I ripped a stamp from the sheet of 1st class stamps and nearly chucked it at him. 34p please.

Customer: While giving me the money he started again about the queue every time he comes in for a stamp.

Me: If you bought a book of stamps you wouldn't have to queue for another 5 weeks.

Customer: LOOK!!!!! I could buy a book if I wanted a book but I don't I wanted JUST 1 stamp!!!! OK.

I felt like grabbing hold of him and shouting - RIGHT THEN!!!!!!!!! stop F**KING MOANING ABOUT THE F**KING QUEUE THEN YOU SAD F**KING LOSER.!!!!!!!

Who in the blue hell Queue's up at 9am Saturday Morning for 15minutes for 1 stamp. Also if there's always a queue on a Saturday morning - WHY bloody turn up at that time week in week out.

Sorry folks had to get that one out of my system

Comment

Haha that is ridiculous - also, everywhere sells stamps these days - newsagents, supermarkets, card shops, hell you can even buy them online or from a vending machine, so why queue up every weekend?

Comment

Quoth cheese View Post
                      Haha that is ridiculous - also, everywhere sells stamps these days - newsagents, supermarkets, card shops, hell you can even buy them online or from a vending machine, so why queue up every weekend?
                      Because the country is full of sad morons who have nothing better to do then winge and complain oh and queue up for a stamp.

It's like the old folk who queue up on a Monday morning 1 hour before the Post Office opens to collect their pension. Why, it's not like we are going to run out of money and if they spread their self out across the day they won't have to queue so long.

I swear every single pensioner in our Area come at once to collect their pension and then they moan about the queue. Then they come in again the next week at the same time and still moan about the queue. Then the week after they come in AGAIN at the same time and complain that everytime they come in on a Monday Morning it's always the same. Simple ...... come a bit later.

Comment

Don't you have stamp dispensors? I know here in the states, you can get stamps from vending machines at the post office so you don't waste everybody's time standing in line and talking to a clerk.

Heck, if you have a small package, there's an automated system to get postage for it without going to the clerk, as well. Just toss it on the scale, tell it what zip code it's going to and if you want any extras like delivery confirmation, feed in your money or bank card, and it spits out the postage label.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I know my post office has a stamp machine outside and inside. The one outside does stamp books, but the one inside does single stamps.

On the subject of stamps I have a little rant: why can't you get stamps for large letters anywhere but the post office. I wanted one to send an application for - tried the local shop - no, tried Sainsbury's - no, tried WHS - no, finally queued in the post office to get one. Instead of a 10 minute trip it turned into a two-mile walk and took more than an hour.
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

But why not just buy a stamp book, its only £2.04 or something, hardly breaking the bank. No queues for a while, and its not like they ever expire, even when the price goes up you can still use old stamps so you're actually saving money that way, surely?

And with the pensions - they can be paid directly into your account now, why even go to the post office! Then when they've picked it up they all used to go to do their weekly shop at the same time, and complain about the queues there too

Comment

Quoth cheese View Post
                              But why not just buy a stamp book, its only £2.04 or something, hardly breaking the bank. No queues for a while, and its not like they ever expire, even when the price goes up you can still use old stamps so you're actually saving money that way, surely?

And with the pensions - they can be paid directly into your account now, why even go to the post office! Then when they've picked it up they all used to go to do their weekly shop at the same time, and complain about the queues there too
                              It's Crazy tell me about it.

Pensions/Benefits can be paid into your bank account, paid into a Post Office benefit card account or can be issued with a Giro Cheque.

You'd also be surprised by how many people complain about the price of a stamp. I mean come on 34p for a 1st class or 24p 2nd class to send a letter anywhere in the country is hardly expensive is it.

I once had a woman who was posting a letter to Australia and when I told her how much (78p), she kicked up a fuss about how expensive it is. She said IT'S ONLY 1 LETTER. I said it would cost a hell of a lot more if you delivered it yourself.

Then she asked if it would get their tomorrow. I told her around 5 days.... she looked at me like I walked into her house on Christmas morning and pissed on her presents. 5 DAYS!!!!! Think I'd leave it and send a email instead.

What planet do some people live on.

Comment

Quoth UK Worker View Post
                                What planet do some people live on.
                                They live on Planet Bizzaro, where stamps are free and postal workers have teleporters which are used to send mail around the world and for their masters dark biddings.

Comment

Working...
                                X