This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't control the Caller ID!

Anyone out there work in a call center that deals with idiots and caller ID? I've dealt with a few lately where we called the customer back, then had to close out their order due to not being able to reach them. Later on, these same people have called back raising hell not because we didn't speak to them directly, but because we came up as an unknown call on their caller ID. It goes something like this:

SC: Nobody from your company called me! I checked my caller ID!

Me: Maam, we did call you being it shows two different people called your contact number, the same number you just verified. After two calls, if we cannot reach the customer, we close out the order.

SC: Well, your two stupid reps called without identifying themselves on my caller ID, and I don't answer calls that don't tell me who they are.

To make this script short, it becomes an argument over the fact that because a person like this decides not to answer unknown calls, plus they decide not to have an answering machine or voice mail, they are still a victim with chaos caused from an order of theirs being canceled. It also turns out SC's like this are the same people who call others, yet don't want their identity displayed when they call those others!

I don't answer either

I have to admit, that I also never answer calls that say unknown caller. They are almost always non-invited calls. If a company has legitimate business with me they have no reason to block who they are. "Unknown Callers" are almost always either telemarketers or collection agencies.
    Why would this legitimate company block their ID?
    Eben56
    If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

Comment

Quoth Eben56 View Post
      I have to admit, that I also never answer calls that say unknown caller. They are almost always non-invited calls. If a company has legitimate business with me they have no reason to block who they are. "Unknown Callers" are almost always either telemarketers or collection agencies.
      Why would this legitimate company block their ID?
      It is because many of these companies call from switchboards where there is not a dial out number to provide the customer. Because of this, the customer will see UNKNOWN CALLER or PRIVATE on their caller ID. The problem I guess I was stating was the fact that there are those out there who absolutely refuse to answer these type of calls, but have no other way to be reached, like an answering machine or voice mail. The phone company also has a privacy feature where you have to announce yourself to get through, but most of these people won't get that either. So, there are way to alleviate this issue, but SC's who won't make it easy for themselves.

Comment

My mom doesn't answer these Unknown Caller calls either. One day she ordered some sort of extra cable service and was told that they'd call back to set an installation date or something (I can't remember what it was). A week goes by and she hasn't heard from them. Supposedly hasn't. She called and asked what the deal was - and sure enough, they'd tried calling numerous times and she hadn't picked up.

Here's the difference between her and the OP's SC: My mom apologized for causing them difficulties and promised to pick up the phone next time.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post

Here's the difference between her and the OP's SC: My mom apologized for causing them difficulties and promised to pick up the phone next time.
          It's too bad no all customers out there are like you mom is. You must not live in Florida, where half the customer population admits no wrong, even when proven to them.

Comment

yeah I deal with Privacy block all the time-we are outsourced-so our number if not blocked would come up as "parent company" that has a contract with company x wireless, and not "company x wireless"-can you see where this would be a problem?
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

When I worked at a pizza place I had a woman call up one morning wanting a delivery. After taking the order she told me that she should have a credit from a previous order. I looked in the computer and there was no record of it. She said the credit was from an order over a month ago, but there were also two orders that had been placed since. I asked the manager and he said if there was no record and she could not say which manager had given her the credit then she was out of luck. When I told her this she said "Fine" and hung up. I assumed this to mean that she did not want the order. I asked the manager, he told me to call her. I tried, no answer. Manager said to cancel the order.

Well guess who calls up an hour later wanting to know where her order was. Even though she had been a bitch she ended up getting the order for free.

Comment

Its your company

If your company's number comes up as unknown, it is because the company has decided to hide its ID. I get many calls from "call centers" that will come up as "card services" or "xxx company". If your calls back to customers are coming up as "unknown caller". It is a corporate decision and don't let them lie to you and say it can't be changed. They are lying to you.
                Eben56
                If ultimately you let the people that fuck you over decide your attitude then they won.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                  It's too bad no all customers out there are like you mom is.
                  No kidding. The SCs of the world could take a lesson from her.
                  Last edited by Tito; 09-01-2007, 07:40 PM.
                  "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
                  ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth Eben56 View Post
                    It is a corporate decision and don't let them lie to you and say it can't be changed. They are lying to you.
                    Can't be changed without spending money/getting organised and changing their contract with the phone co.

Or they're saying "Can't" when they mean "don't know how".

Comment

i don't answer unknown calls, either, but we have an answering machine...otherwise I would answer the phone because I know sometimes legit calls come up unknown...
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

At work I don't deal with "unknowns" either. I feel if they want me to take them seriously they won't hide their ID and they certainly aren't getting any information from me.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                        ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth Eben56 View Post
                          It is a corporate decision and don't let them lie to you and say it can't be changed. They are lying to you.
                          I don't see where he said it "can't be changed." He's saying that there isn't a number for there to be put up as everyone goes through the same switchboard. Sure, they can put a generic number/name. But answer me this: What happens if it's a company like Gravekeeper's where they have contracts with a couple dozen clients, but only one outgoing listing? How do they pick? Are these people who won't answer, but don't give a way to leave a message to an unknown really more likely to pick up if it is just "Random Company X"?

I say, FINE, don't pick up an unknown number. Your choice. But if you don't have an answering machine/voicemail, you DO NOT GET TO BITCH if you miss a call. Boozy's mom is pure awesome. That's the way it should be.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Its still a choice

There are times when the ID might be confusing to the customer.. So gravekeeper's could come up "answering service" or whatever has been designated. (but how often is he calling out?).
                            I have set up several new stores and part of the process of putting in the voice and data lines is deciding what the caller ID will show, Unknown name and Unknown number are NOT the default, you have to request that.
                            Eben56

Comment

I normally won't answer an "unknown" call, but I do have voicemail, and I do check it. If it's legit, I'll call back, or answer it the next time they call.

The firm I work for displays as the main office number, so if I call it they don't see my extension, which I think it fine.
                              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                              HR believes the first person in the door
                              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                              Document everything
                              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                              X