Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm going to have to return just to reply to this thread. (I left retail and became a lurker after being a kinda-active poster.)

There is NOTHING. I repeat, NOTHING wrong with breastfeeding in public. As far as I know, in the U.S. there is no way that you can legally ban a woman from breastfeeding in public. Oh sure, the authorities try to do it now and then, but they have nothing legal to back them up.

It is the most natural thing on Earth. That's what breasts are FOR. If somebody can't handle that, it's their problem, not the mothers'. I'm sorry if seeing a mother giving nourishment to her child disgusts some of you, but get over it.

Comment

I don't remember anyone saying that it disgusts them. So I found that a bit insulting.

All I say, is RESPECT TO THOSE AROUND YOU. Were you visting a country that liked its women to cover their shoulders, would you not respect their views and cover up? Yes, it's natural and no, there's nothing wrong with it, but flinging your top off and whipping your breasts out is disrespecting other people. We all have to share certain places, and the only way for us to do that is to show a little respect. It might also be natural for me and my boyf to show our love for each other by playing tonsil hockey and feeling each other up, but we realise that not everyone wants to see us do it.

It's not disgusting or horrible to see a mother feeding her baby; however, seeing a person who has absolutely no respect or consideration for the rest of humanity IS.
      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
      My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth TerranRich View Post

It is the most natural thing on Earth. That's what breasts are FOR.
        Assholes are natural, and made for shitting, would you like me to do that in front of your dinner table? This is the MOST BS of all the vigilante excuses. There are plenty of natural bodily functions that we keep to ourselves and in private.

As I said before, I have no problem with women who want to be discreet about it, but as soon it becomes obvious that they are trying to draw attention and start a fuss wherever they are, it becomes a problem.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

We're starting to get quite a few words all in capitals in the thread, folks. I wouldn't want this to become posts all in capitals. It continues and we close the thread.

Rapscallion

Comment

When I eat, I chew with my mouth closed. Because quite frankly, it puts people off to see food in the process of mastication. Eating is a perfectly natural thing to do as well. But you can do it in a way that puts other people off, or you can do it in a way that makes everyone, including you, more comfortable.

Breastfeeding is a perfectly natural thing to do yes. But some people are very sensitive to the sight of certain parts of the human body, be it their religion or upbringing or societal conditioning. Becoming a Mother doesn't mean that you are now exempt from certain public niceties. Just like buying a million dollar car doesn't mean you are now exempt from parking properly. By all means, breastfeed, but please remember that not all people are comfortable with sight of body parts that are regarded as taboo.
            The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I live in a part of Melbourne where there are a lot of Muslim immigrants. I often parade around in my home rather scantily clad, especially in summer. Now that we've moved to this part of Melbourne, we keep the curtains in the front of the house closed enough that we can't easily be seen from the street. However, I still wear my hair bare, and am happy working in my front yard in t-shirts and shorts. I balance my comfort level and their comfort levels.

It's the same principle - if you're doing something which you know would be upsetting or offensive to the people around you, take some simple precautions.

Thus: in Australian culture (and presumably most of the US and the UK), I prefer breastfeeding in public to be done with a scarf or blanket or whatever is appropriate to the heat level. I don't mind if they're in the middle of the food court, or on a bench in a mall hallway, or wherever they happen to be.

Just don't do it in an attention-seeking way.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                That's kind of alarming, Ree, considering other kinds of photos on Facebook. Pictures of college aged kids drunk or on drugs, scandalous poses, girls wearing almost no clothes, etc.
                This has absolutely nothing to do with breastfeeding and motherhood

/offtopic

As some of you may know, I'm in university learning how to become a teacher. This semester I am completing my IPT--Introductory Professional Term--during which I will go into a school and actually teach students. (Note: )

Teachers are required to follow a strict set of guildlines for professional conduct. Since we'll be like teachers for a little while, we've been told to dress professionally because:
                1) Students are more likely to take a teacher seriously if he/she is dressed formally.
                2) Most of us aren't all that much older than the students we're teaching--makes it easier to tell the difference between an older student and a younger teacher.

We were also told very explicitly to try to hide any traces of our Facebook/Nexopia profiles, because students could Google us and find that one picture of us at your buddy's housewarming party. You know, that picture of you with the bong and the "I *heart* strippers" T-shirt.

/endofftopic
                I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

I concede that it's preferable to do it respectfully and try to cover up as much as possible, but sometimes, the blanket slips, you have to peek to see if the baby's fallen asleep at the wheel or something, or the mother just isn't as modest as other people. Just look away! It's really not that big a deal, and it won't warp your children to see somebody's baby sucking at its mom's boob.
                  GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

It's easy to say not look and I agree, no one should stare and make the mother uncomfortable; but just as everyone should show respect to the nursing mother, the nursing mother should show respect to those around her. Respect is a two way street.

Comment

• I'd say it depends on the laws in your local city, state, province, or municipality. Here in the US, there's a number of states that have made it illegal for a woman to breastfeed in public, while others have it legal. Some take a kind of middle ground with it saying in public is fine, but not around other individuals.

The states in which it is not legal to breastfeed in public are:

Arkansas
                      Idaho
                      Kansas
                      Massachusetts
                      Nebraska
                      North Dakota
                      Pennsylvania
                      West Virginia
                      Wyoming
                      Last edited by repsac; 10-05-2007, 06:36 PM. Reason: Had to find states.
                      Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

• I don't have a problem with mothers breastfeeding in public, as long as they're discreet about it. Moms usually carry diaper bags, so what's the big deal about throwing a baby blanket in there to cover up during feeding time?

Comment

• Quoth repsac View Post
                          The states in which it is not legal to breastfeed in public are:

Massachusetts
                          Now I am even more pissed off about vigilante restaurant boobie mom!!! Not only was she being an abrasive cow, she was breaking the law!!
                          The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

• Ok my thought on it . . .
                            There is a time and a place for breast feeding. Personally I don't want to see it
                            Here is the oddity - I have no issue if it is legal and a woman wants to walk around topless she can go for it . . .me personally I don't have an interest in sharing that much information with the world.
                            However it does bother me to see a Mother whip out and feed her child in public. I see the feeding of the child as bonding time between Mother and Child . . . it is not for pubic display.
                            A resturant is not an appropriate place. Especially if you aren't being respectful of those around you. (Pizza place is the specific start of this thread)
                            I do understand that it is a parent's job to take care of a child . . . but they do get into a routine of sorts. A mother should be able to some extent prepare and plan.
                            I know my sister would say ok lets meet at _____ time. and _____ resturant. She would get there about 15 min before . . .stay in the mini van and feed . . . then come in with the baby who would quickly fall asleep with a full belly.

Just my opinion
                            Last edited by Emrld; 10-05-2007, 07:11 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Quoth Banrion View Post
                              Not only was she being an abrasive cow...
                              That was a mental picture I did not need.
                              Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

• Just clarifying about the laws. There is no State where it is "illegal", some States that don't have any laws it is "alegal", neither legal nor illegal, it would have to go before the court if it came to it, to set a precedent, or in most with no laws there are those trying to get bills heard as we speak.

Here is a summary, the link includes the Law in each State, but it is way to long to c&p here http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/breast50.htm#m

Thirty-nine states have laws with language specifically allowing women to breastfeed in any public or private location (Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and Wyoming).

* Twenty-one states exempt breastfeeding from public indecency laws (Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin).
                                * Thirteen states have laws related to breastfeeding in the workplace (California, Connecticut, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Texas, and Washington).
                                * Twelve states exempt breastfeeding mothers from jury duty (California, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia).
                                * Four states have implemented or encouraged the development of a breastfeeding awareness education campaign (California, Illinois, Missouri, and Vermont).
                                * Virginia allows women to breastfeed on any land or property owned by the state.

Comment

Working...
                                X