Idaho
    Kansas
    Massachusetts
    Nebraska
    North Dakota
    Pennsylvania
    West Virginia
    Wyoming
    It is now time to repeal all laws the prohibit breastfeeding in public.
    Herewith, a nugget of wisdom from the very wise Mike Brady: "Alone, we can only move buckets. But if we work together, we can drain rivers."

--
    mannabozo.wordpress.com

Comment

• So what's the fine or punishment? Indecent exposure?

As much as I don't care to see a woman breast feeding, there are many more disgusting sights in public that ARE legal.

Tell me, in those states, it's legal for a 300 pound man to walk around shirtless, it's legal for an old man to walk down the street in his underpants..........but illegal to see a woman breastfeed?

Good God!
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

• Quoth Banrion View Post
        Assholes are natural, and made for shitting, would you like me to do that in front of your dinner table? This is the MOST BS of all the vigilante excuses. There are plenty of natural bodily functions that we keep to ourselves and in private.
        No. I would not. However, you are comparing excreting of bodily waste with eating. They are not the same thing.

I honestly think the reason so many people are made uncomfortable by a woman breastfeeding is that they see the breast as a being for sex and not for nourishing a baby. The reason men like breasts so much and the reason they became associated with sex is that they represent the ability of the woman to produce and nourish offspring.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

• Yup. I know that of the people I've run into, some of them have some really bizarre reactions to unclothed bodies.

I don't blame them so much, because I know it's a learned response.

But, really, when the legislation and societal response is such that it's more acceptable to show a blown up body than a naked one in our entertainment, you know something's way out of whack.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            Yup. I know that of the people I've run into, some of them have some really bizarre reactions to unclothed bodies.
            When you think about it, the ususal male response is bizarre, true. Despite being quite common.*

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            I don't blame them so much, because I know it's a learned response.
            Not the response I'm thinking about.*

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
            But, really, when the legislation and societal response is such that it's more acceptable to show a blown up body than a naked one in our entertainment, you know something's way out of whack.
            Not really. You can see a blown-up body without needing to rearrange your trousers.*

*This assumes the naked body is of your preferred gender-type.

Comment

• gotta agree with 42 42 42. of course I was raised by former hippies so I'm a bit more used to nudity than someone from the bible belt.

Comment

• Breastfeeding is not the same as defecating, and to compare the two is disgusting in itself.

And who is anyone to dictate to mothers that their rightful place is in a corner of the mall, hidden, like some unwanted thing? You've got 12-year-old girls walking around with midriffs and legs and God-knows-what-else exposed, and that's more acceptable than a mother breastfeeding her child?

I would never assume that the mother is just looking for attention. I would simply think that she were giving her child nourishment, and that it would be inappropriate for me to gawk and stare...just like it would be inappropriate for me to gawk and stare at a good-looking woman walking by.

I never realized how many people think that breastfeeding is something that should be hidden and kept away from sight. There really is nothing wrong with it. Breastfeeding mothers should not be kept in a secluded corner somewhere, hidden, like it's embarassing or something. It's not the breastfeeding that's wrong...it's the closed-minded reactions of certain people that are wrong.

Comment

• Quoth Banrion View Post
                  Assholes are natural, and made for shitting, would you like me to do that in front of your dinner table? This is the MOST BS of all the vigilante excuses. There are plenty of natural bodily functions that we keep to ourselves and in private.
                  Well. Nothing astonishingly offensive about that.

Actually, considering the number of people who think babies should be taken to the bathroom to be fed, I could probably use this very same argument to counter THAT.

For those of you in the "I don't want to see it" camp, here's your solution: Don't look. Problem solved.

Or maybe they ought to start selling burquas in maternity shops. That might work, too.

There are a few women out there who are attention whores. We all know this However, when the day finally comes that a woman can feed her child in peace, and nobody has an aneurism, calls security, and then calls the media over it, that will be the day that the attention whores can no longer use the excuse of child care for drawing attention to herself. And the vast 99.9 percent of the moms who just want to take care of their children can do so in peace and quiet.

So if the issue is REALLY about women deliberately drawing attention to themselves, the best thing to do is to ignore them. If the issue is really about people just cannot see breasts without sexualizing them, well, there's not much I can say to those people here.

Quoth kibbles View Post
                  It's easy to say not look and I agree, no one should stare and make the mother uncomfortable; but just as everyone should show respect to the nursing mother, the nursing mother should show respect to those around her. Respect is a two way street.
                  And I absolutely agree with this 100 percent.
                  Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 10-08-2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• Quoth RecoveringKinkoid
                    And I absolutely agree with this 100 percent.
                    Thanks

Comment

• That is what I have been saying all along. XD Whipping out boobie mum should be shunned and ignored, so she doesn't get the attention she's obviously craving.

And Terri sorry if you don't like it, but in the evil Western world, breasts are sexual. Don't like it, then go live elsewhere. Just like in Islam countries, women have to cover their shoulders and hair; would you go to one of these countries and parade around in shorties and bra cuz omg you have to stand up for your rights eleventy? I feel sorry for you if you think that blatent disrespect towards the rest of your fellow humans is the way to go.

The way I feel in a nutshell: Respectful mother feeding her baby discretely while covered; AOK. Rude woman whipping her tops out and flinging out both boobs in order to breastfeed: Bad. Simple as that.
                      People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                      My DeviantArt.

Comment

• Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                        And Terri sorry if you don't like it, but in the evil Western world, breasts are sexual. Don't like it, then go live elsewhere. Just like in Islam countries, women have to cover their shoulders and hair; would you go to one of these countries and parade around in shorties and bra cuz omg you have to stand up for your rights eleventy?
                        On a personal note, I have talked to a chap who teached in the Middle East (American campus for oil workers) in various countries (pay was awesome). Interestingly enough, in at least one countrie it wasn't unusual to see a woman in a burqa openly breastfeeding as she walked down a main street. Funny, that.

On a moderating note, let's cut out the personal attacks, shall we? Yes, we shall.

Rapscallion

Comment

• Raps, that's what I was just thinking about.

In the US, public BFing is legal. In most states it's specialy exempt from public nudity laws. MOST breastfeeding moms ARE careful in being covered. SOME are not.

You can use that line for dozens of things. Like MOST Customers are good, SOME are sucky. Does that mean we need to be mad/angry/banish all Customers, because some suck?
                          Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

• I think iradney and Lace put it best, so I'm quoting them here.

Quoth iradney View Post
                            Breastfeeding is a perfectly natural thing to do yes. But some people are very sensitive to the sight of certain parts of the human body, be it their religion or upbringing or societal conditioning. Becoming a Mother doesn't mean that you are now exempt from certain public niceties. Just like buying a million dollar car doesn't mean you are now exempt from parking properly. By all means, breastfeed, but please remember that not all people are comfortable with sight of body parts that are regarded as taboo.
                            Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            Yes, it's natural and no, there's nothing wrong with it, but flinging your top off and whipping your breasts out is disrespecting other people. We all have to share certain places, and the only way for us to do that is to show a little respect. It might also be natural for me and my boyf to show our love for each other by playing tonsil hockey and feeling each other up, but we realise that not everyone wants to see us do it.
                            Breastfeeding is natural and a good thing. In a perfect world, public places would all have lounges like some nicer restaurants and dept stores have, so women would have a quiet and comfortable place to breastfeed. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world.

It is all about respect, in the end. I have enough respect for people in general that I don't run around mostly nekkid, I don't give my mate a tongue bath in public or grope him/her when I'm in a relationship, and I try not to cuss like a sailor when I'm around small children. I would like to think that most moms would have the same respect, and not mind at least making an attempt to cover up, and not making a public spectacle of exposing themselves, keeping in mind that it might make some people uncomfortable.

As in every facet of life, you sometimes have a sucky customer, sucky neighbor, or even a sucky mom. There will always be people who disregard the rules or feel they are above them, and act out accordingly. As many have said, ignoring them is the best way to deny them what they want, which is usually attention.

To sum up my thoughts, you have to treat others as you want to be treated. If you, as a breast-feeding mom, want me to respect you, not stare and be polite, just do the same. Have a little bit of tact and cover up. I don't think that's asking too much.
                            "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

• Quoth repsac View Post
                              I'd say it depends on the laws in your local city, state, province, or municipality. Here in the US, there's a number of states that have made it illegal for a woman to breastfeed in public, while others have it legal. Some take a kind of middle ground with it saying in public is fine, but not around other individuals.

The states in which it is not legal to breastfeed in public are:

North Dakota
                              Well, ND is pretty backwards as it is, so this doesn't surprise me.
                              "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

• I don't think one member has suggested that nursing mothers should be ostracized and hidden away in some corner to breastfeed, so I don't understand where the hostility and comments to that regard are coming from.

I think everyone agrees that breastfeeding in public is perfectly acceptable.

There have been simple suggestions that a light scarf or receiving blanket over the area allows privacy for the mother and prevents any excuses for anyone to stare or be offended by the site of a baby latched on to a breast.

I don't think anyone has said it is right that people are offended. They are simply acknowledging that people are offended and upset by it.

I think, when some suggested that businesses provide special rooms, they were simply thinking of the comfort of the baby and mother.

As I understand it, nursing is not only a time for nourishing baby, but it is also a mother-baby bonding time. A relaxed mother during the nursing process means a relaxed baby.
                                I would much rather have a quiet room where I can sit comfortably, away from the noise and confusion, and I don't understand how suggesting something like that could be so wrong or be taken to mean that people want nursing mothers exiled to the far reaches of the malls because it is a shameful thing.

I can't understand how having a Mom, running around, trying to accomplish a bunch of tasks, then plopping down on a public bench and nursing, with the passersby and the general confusion of a busy mall, etc., is conducive to relaxed feeding and bonding.

As I said very early on in this thread, though, breastfeeding is a very controversial topic, and I had doubts about whether it could remain civil.

Raps has had to speak again, and there have been hurt feelings because of some comments. This will be the third mod warning to keep it civil and respect each other.
                                There will be no more.
                                The thread will simply be closed.
                                Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                                X