This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You ruined my evening!

Cabinetry is always a tricky business. There's far too much that can just go completely wrong! I had some fairly nice clients awhile back who were doing a vacation home. Nothing extravagant, a small kitchen and a few bathrooms. I had put in the order for all of the cabinetry using two different manufacturers, one for the baths and one for the kitchen. (We use different companies depending upon what the clients want and what their price range is.) The baths were scheduled to arrive within 4-6 weeks. However, all h*** broke loose when I called the client to inform her of the delivery date for the kitchen, which ended up being more like 9-10 weeks.

SC: *freaking out* Why is it going to take so long to get the kitchen!?
    Me: <Company ABC> had a price increase in February, so a lot of people sent in orders to beat that deadline.
    (I won't go into her freakout when she found out about the price increase, which didn't really affect her job.)
    SC: Well, this has just ruined my whole evening!
    Me: *mumbles something apologetic, desperately wanting to crawl into a hole somewhere*

I should have told her that her response ruined my evening. She became twitchy client after that, double checking on every little detail. Sorry, but I have no control over lead times, and I let her know as soon as I knew. The silver lining to this story is that the clients loved the cabinets after they were installed. In fact, they raved about them...despite the fact that I ruined her evening!
    Certifiable Interior Designer
    (Passed the NCIDQ Exam - Summer 2008)

It's hard to shoot zombies with a cat on your lap!

Welcome to the boards! Did you get your name from this site, perchance?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Gah. I hate when I get yelled at for parts being out of stock, as if I have any control or say in the matter. I just see the numbers, and talk to the warehouse. If they don't have it, TDB. You can wait, just like anyone else would have to. So glad I don't do sales anymore, so I only get this occasionally, and most of the occurrences now are actually legit emergencies, at least.

Also, WELCOME!!
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

makes me want to run and hide from others altogether at times; had something similar this past sunday:

we ran out of soy, chips and carrying trays.

one guy threw a tantrum over the soy; another woman elapsed into an 'episode' over the lack of soy, yet one of the drinks (the one that was supposed to be soy) had caramel in it...after her rant about she can't have dairy, is the whipped cream made with dairy, i want caramel in my drink (then went with non-fat milk for HER drink, after this rant over 'i can't have dairy.'

the chips didn't cause the usual 'how can you be out of...?' rant, so we were ok there; surprisingly enough, the drink tray issue didn't explode into a major catastrophe, but it did for one person, who had a whopping TWO drinks.

her: "how in the hell am i supposed to carry THESE?"

i say nothing, however, i am thinking:

me: "do you really want me to answer that??"
        look! it's ghengis khan!
        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          Welcome to the boards! Did you get your name from this site, perchance?
          Why, yes, as a matter of fact I did ! That's one of my all-time favorite websites.

It's amazing the type of things that people can go off about. I mean, do they actually think that we have total control over vendors, products, etc? All they can see is that they've somehow been inconvenienced, and that in itself is a national disaster!

Comment

Delays in renovations? I've never heard of such a thing! Actually, I thought the rule was to double the original time estimates from the contractor right off the bat so "ruined evenings" don't happen.
            Ooooh, and is that site run by the Gallery of Regrettable Food guy?!

Comment

Yes, that's the same guy. You need to check out his whole Institute of Official Cheer. It cracks me up!

As for building projects, you do need to allow more time and money than you actually anticipate using. (Just watch those house-flipping shows.) But half the time we get rushed into ordering cabinets by the builder/client, and we end up sitting on them until the house is ready. You just can't win!
              Last edited by Interior Desecrator; 10-10-2007, 01:08 AM. Reason: Forgot something!

Comment

Quoth Interior Desecrator View Post
                SC: Well, this has just ruined my whole evening!
                What a charmed life she must be leading in order for something so small to ruin an entire evening.
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth Interior Desecrator View Post
                  Why, yes, as a matter of fact I did ! That's one of my all-time favorite websites.
                  I like it too, though I liked it better before he pulled all the best material to make the book. The "mustard goat" room and "Satan's Bordello" both made me ROTFLMAO.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                    makes me want to run and hide from others altogether at times; had something similar this past sunday:

we ran out of soy, chips and carrying trays.

one guy threw a tantrum over the soy; another woman elapsed into an 'episode' over the lack of soy, yet one of the drinks (the one that was supposed to be soy) had caramel in it...after her rant about she can't have dairy, is the whipped cream made with dairy, i want caramel in my drink (then went with non-fat milk for HER drink, after this rant over 'i can't have dairy.'

the chips didn't cause the usual 'how can you be out of...?' rant, so we were ok there; surprisingly enough, the drink tray issue didn't explode into a major catastrophe, but it did for one person, who had a whopping TWO drinks.

her: "how in the hell am i supposed to carry THESE?"

i say nothing, however, i am thinking:

me: "do you really want me to answer that??"

Speaking of which (and a little off topic), yesterday I went to Starbucks and had my very first Blueberry Green Tea Cream Blended Frappucino with extra cream on top, drizzled with blueberry jam/sauce/topping.

Heaven!
                    Total surrender
                    Your touch is so tender
                    Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                    And it brings me relief
                    "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                      Speaking of which (and a little off topic), yesterday I went to Starbucks and had my very first Blueberry Green Tea Cream Blended Frappucino with extra cream on top, drizzled with blueberry jam/sauce/topping.

Heaven!
                      starbucks does drinks other than "yeah, my regular sounds good thanks" now ?!
                      It is better to be the hammer than the nail.

Comment

Ah the people who don't understand that delays happen. (I work in construction)

But isn't it fun when they have to delay you, and they expect you to bend over backwards to make it happen.

Comment

Quoth draftermatt View Post
                          Ah the people who don't understand that delays happen. (I work in construction)

But isn't it fun when they have to delay you, and they expect you to bend over backwards to make it happen.
                          Oh yes, I love it when the client delays us and then figures we'll make up for lost time. If I don't order your stuff on time, it's my bad. But don't make my installers bust their butt just because you couldn't make up your mind or your builder got behind. (Usually, if the builder AND the cabinets are delayed, it's due to the client being wishy-washy or difficult.)

Comment

Does this lady live in Florida, by any chance? And, was this a remodeling job? Only wondering because it seems like most people in Florida who are remodeling their kitchen always make a stink about how long the job is going to take, how long it will be before the materials come in, etc. After Hurricane Francis and Jeanne in 2004, my wife and I had to deal for weeks without a complete kitchen. I'm talking to cabinets, only the stove, refrigerator, and the sink. We went for nearly two months with bare concrete walls in that area, and the home builders could not install new cabinets or anything until they arrived. Everyone literally around me was in the same boat as we were, yet we did not complain like this. We had to spend the whole time with our dishes on the dinette table, the silverware, everything.

It just galls me when people like this complain when the kitchen or bathroom they already have is in perfect working order. Get over it.

Comment

Quoth Killer Bees View Post
                              Speaking of which (and a little off topic), yesterday I went to Starbucks and had my very first
                              You know what I happened upon while at Kroger's, of all places? They had a Starbucks inside, and apparently it was a slow day for the guy running the stand. He came by Mom & I, and offered us little trial size cups of Pumpkin Spice Lattes. And, Oh, My, Gods! That was so freaking delicious, I went and finally used part of the gift card I got for Christmas last year to get a full sized one.
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X