X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• math must be hard for this guy

This is my first post here, so please bear with me:

I'm a manger at a local fast food restaurant, and anyone who's worked fast food can tell you, there are a lot of interesting characters that come through. One day while I was in charge of the store, this man pulls up to the front drive through window after paying for his order and starts relentlessly cussing out my order presenter. I hear him from across the store and before I can get over to the window to find out what's wrong and try to calm him down, he has gotten out of his car and is storming inside while his son in the passenger seat continues on with the cussing. He gets into the store and starts cussing at me across the counter, saying that he had given the cashier at the back window two twenties to pay for his order and that the cashier had given him the wrong change. I'm under the impression at this point that he had placed two orders and the cashier had payed them both out from one of the bills. As I start to open the register drawer to give him the proper change he produces the change he was given: 2-$1.00 bills and 4-$5.00 bills plus some change. After some more talking with the guy I figure out that he had one order and he wanted half of it paid out of one twenty and the other half taken from the second bill. So I promptly take the change he was given, split it into two separate piles on the counter in front of him, both equal in value, and hand the two piles right back to him. Upon my doing this, the guy calms down, states that he's glad at least one person there knows how to do their job, thanks me, and walks back to his car to leave. After talking to my drive-through cashier I found out that the cashier had figured the guy could split it equally himself and had just changed the second twenty for the five dollar bills. Apparently not...

It's not that he couldn't have done it himself; "It's the principle!!!!"

Oh, and WELCOME
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Comment

Bwah? Maybe he was just anal-retentive...?
      Never would've thought to split his change into two piles. But, huzzah for figuring it out.
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Excellent starter story =3 Welcome to the land of sillies.

Comment

OK, I fully admit I am, um, mathematically challenged, but oh, my...

Oh, and to the asylum!
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Pitching a major conniption fit because he couldn't figure out how to split his change?! That is just pathetic.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CS, Forral! Also known as Sanity Saver Central!
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Honestly, besides Calculus, I've done everything I can pretty much think of math-wise. I don't know what it is...I just enjoy it. I even have the tendency to try to figure out how much money, on average, I'm making per second, regardless of whether I'm working or not. Right, anyway...upon reading the original posting, it reminded me of this...
              You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
                Right, anyway...upon reading the original posting, it reminded me of this...
                I just sat here for a good minute trying to figure out what it was I was meaning to type...I think my brain just died. The funeral will be on Tuesday, viewing from 7-9.

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
                  Honestly, besides Calculus, I've done everything I can pretty much think of math-wise. I don't know what it is...I just enjoy it. I even have the tendency to try to figure out how much money, on average, I'm making per second, regardless of whether I'm working or not. Right, anyway...upon reading the original posting, it reminded me of this...
                  OMG, i had to remove myself from the call rotation after reading that
                  I just couldn't stop laughing.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
                    Right, anyway...upon reading the original posting, it reminded me of this...
                    So how do you think they solved that situation? I'd imagine telling them to switch sandwiches wouldn't have gone over very well.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      I just sat here for a good minute trying to figure out what it was I was meaning to type...I think my brain just died. The funeral will be on Tuesday, viewing from 7-9.
                      Will it be an open or closed casket service?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading that OP . . . my brain froze and it won't reboot.

Anyone know how to reboot it?
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
                        Will it be an open or closed casket service?

I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading that OP . . . my brain froze and it won't reboot.

control-alt-delete?

It'll be closed-casket...it's not pretty...

Comment

Alcohol works for me!
                          You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

All I know is my head hurts.

I work in a department/grocery store and I often have customers ask if they can pay with two separate cards, because two different people are splitting the bill. "No problem", I say, "Just tell me how much you want on each card."

Inevitably, I am told to "split it in half". Ok, here's the thing. I have been running on autopilot all shift and I have the brain function of a raisin. I do not want to be responsible for doing math in my head because 1) If I do it wrong, I will catch holy hell and 2) If I do it right, customer will suddenly change their mind and get upset that I did it for "that" amount. And yes, it has happened. So I put the ball back in their court and the customer ALWAYS does an uneven split. Like one pays $63.47 and the other $60.00. Guess I'm not the only one with a raisin brain.
                            A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Is it THAT damned hard for these customers to do SIMPLE MATH?????? "I can't do it, you do it because it's your job!"... people like him make me really feel for humanity.

The customers I run into can all do simple math in their heads, and I have a handy calculator I slide their way should they need it. I have to say, I've never run into people who want me to do it for them... thank God. I don't know how that'll go over, because my gut instincts tend to be, er... rather powerful.

Taking a number and dividing it in half isn't rocket science. The calculus courses I've taken... now THOSE might border nuclear physics.

Comment

Working...
                              X