This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Bit of Poorly Timed Suck

I was leaving my local business Costco just before closing last night. (Just as I was leaving the manager told them to close the entrance door.) They close at 6:00 pm on Saturday, just like most of the regular Costco stores in my area.

As I'm passing the service desk I notice a woman returning some items. She didn't have a cart, so she had to have come in just to make this return. What items must she rush in to return before closing on a Saturday evening? Three Hostess brand snacks. $.65 each. $1.95 total.

Considering that the price of gasoline in our area is now averaging over $3.50 a gallon, do you think this was a wise choice?
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

I wonder if she owns a SUV.

Comment

seems like she doesn't understand basic economics and lacks the wisdom to apply it.

gallon of gas = $3.50

price of returns = $2.60

she lost $0.90 for the return, so i'm adding stupid into the mix, which gives the trifecta of:

stupid, lacking wisdom and understanding basic economics (pricing), topped with showing up at close.
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I work refunds at Costco and I can tell you one thing.

I've seen worse.

I'd have people return half a banana because the whole batch "was gross" and they'd kick and scream over how we wouldn't give them their $1.30 despite the fact that there are 12 bananas on a bunch and you have to have at least half to return food.

I had a guy return a gallon of milk that he bought the day before, took out or drank the milk, then FILLED THE GALLON WITH WATER, and added a little bit of milk for color. It was very obvious. When we pointed this out, he screams that our milk is always gross and 'we're trying to poison him' with it.

I have a woman that returns 5 year old items EVERY DAY. They're used, beaten, and definitely not able to resell. She has over $10,000 in returns alone on her account.

I had a guy try to return pears with a receipt that clearly read "nectarines", and then throw a fit when we found the proper item number and amount because it was worth $2 less than he thought.

I had a woman buy $500 worth of meat, go outside, discover it wasn't cut, then return it because she didn't want to cut it herself. All $500 in the trash (once it leaves the store, if it's open food or cold, it goes in the trash). She was banned from ever returning perishables again.

I have millions more. But Costco members are notorious for this behavior. Why? Because they get away with it most times. That's why your return does not surprise me in the slightest.
        Last edited by Nakajo; 11-26-2007, 02:22 AM.
        "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

Quoth Nakajo View Post
          I have a woman that returns 5 year old items EVERY DAY. They're used, beaten, and definitely not able to resell. She has over $10,000 in returns alone on her account.

I have millions more. But Costco members are notorious for this behavior. Why? Because they get away with it most times. That's why your return does not surprise me in the slightest.
          I think it's high time people put their collective foot down and stop allowing this stupidity. If people complain, so damn what. The complainers are the people costing the store a fortune, anyway. If you want to be profitable, stick with where your profit margin lies. It sure isn't with these kind of peeps.

But I'll keep that in mind about Costco. Next time when I need to make a few dollars
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Granted, the nearest Costco is an hour's drive from me, and I only go to stock the house once a month, BUT it is still one of the few stores I ENJOY shopping in. I say enjoy because I don't have to put up with all of the white trash hijinks like you normally would at a Walmart, for instance. For the most part, I've always viewed it as a different class of people, which may sound snobbish, but I don't feel bad for being this kind of a snob.

(You're going to get those ridiculous returns no matter where you go, until someone starts upholding policy).
            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Working...
            X