Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had one class in school where we were required to use the internet as our only source. We had to identify the specific sites we used, but the topic was pretty open, it just had to be as accurate as we could make it. He did it to prove to use that the internet was an unreliable mechanism for research. It was pretty much a free A for most of us, because the grading was based on the citing, how many sites we visited to cross-check information, and the laugh he got when we all pretty much looks on our faces when we turned them in.

I only use the internet for research if I need some little bit of information quickly. If I actually need to learn something, I hit the library, or an educator I know that knows the subject.

Kids these days with their wikipedia and their google. I'm not that old, but the idea of not doing any work on your own scares me. I like to earn stuff, not have it given to me.
    Ma'am, I could care less about the time your precious Fifi found a baby squirrel and raised it as her own, I just want to know if you've ever been told you had diabeetus.

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
      Talk about playing into stereotypes... total man-hating Feminazi teaching a women's lit course...
      So, how long before she booted by guys suing her for gender discrimination?
      X is the female chromosome, Y is the male one.

Where would she put the "Y" in woman? It doesn't even make sense!
      Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
      Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
      The Office

Comment

Okay, so your art supply store is also a library. That is so cool. It sounds like it was a very educational experience. You learned all you could about this fish, plus you found out how well behaved and responsible this kid is. She's thinking nothing of her school project and finds it more important to play video games than make good grades in school. I'm pretty sure this project was announced weeks ago and both decided to wait until the night before to get it done.

Yes, it is your fault for not helping out.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
          It's only slightly better than that stupid lecturer I read about somewhere who automatically failed any men on her women's lit course along with any woman who spelt woman without a 'Y'.
          http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...1546#post91546

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth JustADude View Post
            Talk about playing into stereotypes... total man-hating Feminazi teaching a women's lit course...
            So, how long before she booted by guys suing her for gender discrimination?
            I don't know, I can't find the article again. But she was booted, don't know about being sued...

EDIT: Yup!! That's the one, Raps...
            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

What an awful child!

I'm new to the wiki idea and I still prefer to look it up in books. Wiki is great, but when you start hitting unfinished articles? Gimme that World Book, dammit, I don't care what year it is.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                What? No walking UPHILL, both ways, in the snow, with no shoes, much less feet? You're not old enough yet.
                Then in that case, I'll spare you the tale about how I killed a grizzly bear with my loose-leaf notebook

Back to the subject of encyclopedias, I was lucky enough to have a 1974 World Book set . . . complete with the two-volume dictionary set that was so heavy it required a trailer hitch and wheels to carry with you. I wish I still had that set (I also had a complete set of Childcraft books along with those) but they disappeared when we moved years ago.

There was also a 1960 edition of another encyclopedia set, but the name escapes me now . . . they had belonged to my dad when he was in high school. He took them back years ago when he remarried and as far as I know, he still has them packed away somewhere.
                Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 11-29-2007, 12:57 AM.
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

We had that same vintage Encyclopedia set, along with the full Childcraft series. My folks may still have them. Absolutely invaluable when it came time to do homework. Plus, I'm such a bookworm, I'd read the Childcraft books just for the heck of it. Even now, it's fun to thumb through them.

Off to memory lane, next time I'm at Mom & Dad's house......
                  That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

For anyone that scoffs at the internet when it comes to research, I have one word: PubMed. Y'know, if you're a biology or biochemistry major or in one of those types of graduate programs.

Comment

Holy crap! I'm glad I dodged these two and let you take care of them! I didn't realize how bad they were until now...DAMN! I should have stuck around to see that!
                      Check out my cosplay social group!
                      http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth Shabo View Post
                        Where would she put the "Y" in woman? It doesn't even make sense!
                        "Because a WOMYN is not just a MAN with two little letters tacked onto the front! She is her own unique being and she is not just some extension of a MAN!"

Just repeating the propaganda that gets spewed at me. Nothing like informing a group of them that you would have no problem posing for Playboy if the situation arose.

"Yes, I am a strong, independant female. And if I want to get nekkid, I'm GOING to get nekkid!" *cough*
                        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

Quoth MystyGlyttyr View Post
                          "Because a WOMYN is not just a MAN with two little letters tacked onto the front! She is her own unique being and she is not just some extension of a MAN!"
                          I just tell them that the old english was 'wifman' and 'husman', and they're screwing with the language even more.

(Actually, I think it was old norse or saxon or something, but the words are correct.)
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            It was more along the lines of, "Okay, Jester my boy, how exactly do you want to go about this? Like that? And what part of doing that are you not so sure how to do/make/produce?" Etc., etc., etc.
                            Yes. As well as that, if my project required manual dexterity that my fingers weren't capable of, or the use of a tool or substance that wasn't as safe as my parents would like, they'd do that part. And only that part. And I'd have to tell them what I wanted.
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                              Back when I was in school *cue groaning from younger folks* we went to the library for help with homework assignments. We didn't have the Internet, we didn't have homework hotline numbers to call. If you had your own set of encyclopedias, you were blessed. That saved a trip to the library.
                              I remember those days.

It's amazing how fast things have changed in the 10 1/2 years since I graduated from HS.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

yah we didnt have the luxury of internet when i was in school either. we did have 2 sets of encyclopedias, one was from the 70's and it was a um "black market copy" which means that it was literally photo copied and bound. i think my dad got them cause he thought it was funny. the next set we got in the early 80's which my parents still have. (both sets actually)

sorry for the hijack...

i was always waiting till the last minute to do my home work if at all. i rarely did it. and most of the time i would just ask mom to transcribe my thoughts with the word processor. i never wrote anything down before hand. i always did well doing that. and my mom would just type exactly what i said.

my fave project that i actually did do was for a cross section of a cell i used a plant cell, and i knew exactly what i wanted to do with it. my grandpa invented the machine that made the plastic plant lables (the little stick ones not the ones today that have pics and bar codes hence the reason why you dont see the stick ones any more) so i thought it would be fun to make it out of the plastic for it. got some foam and a small potato painted it up. i didnt even ask dad for help (even though i knew he wanted too he just sat and watched. i had it done in about 10 mins.

i took it in to school the next day (way before it was due) and the teacher liked it so much he decided to keep it as his regular example. and i know he did cause my sister had him a few years later and he was showing it to them and said oh yah your sister made this one. she wasnt able to make the same cell i did however cause we apparently knew how to make the plant cell

/hijack
                                i would have never spoken to my parents that way, and if i didnt know how to do something i did ask for help but i didnt expect them to do it for me (ok with math i needed extra help and sometimes i would do the calculations and dad would write them down) it was very hard on me cause i have dyslexia.

as i said before most of the time i just didnt do my homework at all.
                                "Let's connect to some ones cyberbrain who is meditating, so we can download enlightenment" one of the Tachikomas (Ghost in the Shell 2nd gig)

Comment

Working...
                                X