Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But It Should Fit Update

Update on https://www.customerssuck.com/board/...-it-should-fit

This place has kept in my thoughts... I know it has been a long time but life has conspired against me and I went to some really dark places emotionally and financially through the last few years.

The Plastic Lady lost. She managed to drag her lawsuit out for a ridiculously long time but ultimately lost, She tried everything from defamation to blaming her divorce on our shop. We counter sued and that took a long time just because she tugged legal shenanigans to a point of absurdity. Judge awarded us $15,000 but we haven't seen a dime and have been told without a sugar daddy she has nothing to go after and we'll not likely see a penny.

Oh, and she put on SO MUCH WEIGHT. She went from sawhorse to vixen to walrus. I'd feel bad saying so if she didn't deserve it. I don't know what happened with her husband but he got the dresses and I don't know what he did with them. I also don't care. But he deserved better than what he got put through. We all did.

We closed doors at the shop a while back due to a mixture of skyrocketing property prices, growing competition from etsy, alibaba and similar sorts, a car crash that happened in the interim where I injured my spine and broke my hand and last but not least, growing malaise dealing with people. I adore cosplay and all but no, I can't make you a full (insert name of popular anime character with 5 foot long shoulder-pauldrons here) costume for $100 by whatever convention next weekend.

Though seriously, mad approval for the cosplay crowd. The stuff folks do now with various materials is inspiring but I feel like a gorilla in a glass blowing competition seeing some of the stuff these people do with floor mats and plastic bottles. I can't keep up with the market and honestly I'm ok with that.

Doesn't feel like I won, but I got through to the other side at least. We survived.

It kind of worked out though, I picked up a job making neat stuff I actually legally can't talk about. It's fulfilling work and I don't have to deal with the front end anymore. Lots more bureaucracy but people can't argue with CAD drawings. Feel more like a corporate mook but paychecks are consistent if not robust. Plus I get to see things the size of buildings launch into space as a fringe benefit. Can't complain about that!

I also took some of all your advice and started doing volunteer work and teach sewing as a community outreach program. Feels good doing that sort of stuff and not worrying about price tags and deadlines. Seeing an elderly woman's face light up as she finishes a quilt for her first grand daughter is quite fulfilling and feels so wholesome. If someone wants a Victorian-era coat with a 12 foot tail I can show them how to use a sewing machine and it's kind of both vindicating and heart warming seeing people understand what it takes to make a costume and, now and again, fills my heart with pride when someone finishes a project and gives an ACTUAL heart felt thank you.

You do the best you can.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Glad to hear that it's over, despite the cost (emotionally and otherwise). Glad to hear you landed on your feet in the end, and that you have found an outlet that allows you to teach others how to do what you love.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

It sounds like the clueless demanders were slowly eating your soul. I'm glad you did what was best for you. I hope you have many days of happiness that let you find the joy of making wonderful things again

The cosplayers that make those amazing outfits work on them for months. Most of them are planning what they will make for over a year before a convention. It's the people that just want to look cool for their friends that have no clue about the amount of work, time, and money top level cosplay outfits require.

Comment

Glad to hear it ended favorably.
          You said in your first post "maybe someone will find them funny", and I laughed out loud at the "walrus" bit.

Sometimes it being over is the best we can hope for. Sometimes it's enough.

Comment

I would keep an idea on the woman. If every she comes into money, like from an inheritance you should jump in for your fair share.

Comment

I'm glad to read that you made it through the other side. That was an awful thing to go through.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

I remember that story! I'm glad that fool lost the case, but I'm sorry you haven't received the money. Hopefully you won't have to deal with her ever again.

Sounds like you're doing well, with the new job and the volunteer work. You're in a good spot now, and may things continue to improve.
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                  I would keep an idea on the woman. If every she comes into money, like from an inheritance you should jump in for your fair share.
                  Or even any income stream, if your state allows garnishment. I once heard a commentator liken court judgments to fishing licenses: there's is no guarantee that you'll catch anything...you just have the legal right to try.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                    It sounds like the clueless demanders were slowly eating your soul. I'm glad you did what was best for you. I hope you have many days of happiness that let you find the joy of making wonderful things again

The cosplayers that make those amazing outfits work on them for months. Most of them are planning what they will make for over a year before a convention. It's the people that just want to look cool for their friends that have no clue about the amount of work, time, and money top level cosplay outfits require.
                    No lie, I do historical reenactment clothing - for a full on Elizabethan court gown, it can be 3 to 4 thousand dollars for the materials, and 3 fittings minimum [measurements, making the patterns, making sure the finished base gown fits] then the decorations - until the house burnt down I had a *pound* of seed pearls [real river seed pearls, not the cute little plastic round pearls] and 15 or 20 pounds of various semiprecious beads, glass beads and metal beads. Making lucet loom cording to lace corsetry with runs about an hour a yard for something intricate, and you do not want to know how much hand made bobbin lace to edge collars and cuffs costs, trust me - I don't make lace, I had to source it out. I can make tablet woven trim suitable for classic 'viking', again, once set up it can be an hour a yard for something intricate. Finished gowns can be 10-15 grand, viking is way less expensive. I don't do it for people any longer, but I am working on a 'Vestal Virgin' outfit - just sourced the wig for the funky specific hairstyle, I personally currently have a mohawk, so if I want to do it for Halloween next year, wig it is =)
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I remember you because that situation was so ridiculous and unfair. Glad to hear you won the court case, sorry for all the bad stuff that happened. $15000 isn't enough for what she put you through, but since she'll probably never pay a dime of it I guess it doesn't really matter. Glad you're doing okay now, try to hold on to the good stuff may the jerks get what they deserve.

Comment

Working...
                      X