Digital coupons are "poverty shaming", I guess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital coupons are "poverty shaming", I guess

Had a beauty of a customer today, yelling at my cashier to put through a digital coupon (that you need to load up on our store's phone ap before shopping) and grousing about not having enough room for the ap on her phone and how "ridiculous" it is to not just have the deal available for all and, yes, literally crying "poverty" (despite having at least $100 worth of groceries in her cart) because she couldn't afford the latest IPhone and how she no longer wanted to shop at our store. See you next week...!

I don't like the digital coupons myself. Too much of an annoyance to bother using them, but unlike this 'lady' I just go about my shopping and not waste the staffs time with something they have no control over.

Comment

Digital coupons are unfair, but if you make friends with the staff at some stores, here's the thing, they sometimes let you use them anyway. But you have to be nice in order for store staff to accept you in their presence all the time.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Our managers usually will push through digital coupons for older customers who don't know how technology works, but it would be enjoyable if said customers asked nicely.

Comment

I really struggle with them for multiple reasons, most of which are intended by the retailers to ensure as few as possible get redeemed. That's about as much as I can say on the subject without heading far into Fratching territory.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I've got a phone from the Middle Ages that doesn't work for digital coupons, but it suits me. However, cashiers have given me discounts for being a nice old lady.

Comment

I'd definitely use the coupons less if I was forced to use an app in order to redeem them o_O For my grocery shopping, they are connected to my shopper card and can be loaded on their site instead of the app, so it's not an issue there. Only one fats-food () place I go to requires an app to redeem them.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The digital coupons are a pain. They don't load onto the card instantly; a lot of SCs who have the app wait until they're in the store to try and redeem them (the store's wifi also sucks). Some managers can force digital coupons through for people who complain enough, but we can't do anything about grocery point redemptions.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I realize they wanna make people use the app, but that's just absurd. I don't even use the app for where I shop (blue logo with a K), as it literally does nothing for me that I cannot do on their website. I'm glad it's not needed for coupon/sale price redemption x.x
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I recently shopped at a store that uses digital coupons after seeing their print ad,. I downloaded the app, loaded the coupons, went in to shop, and at checkout.....no wifi. No way to apply those coupons. No way to bring up the ad to prove the çoupons exit.
                    But I did NOT throw a hissy fit. I wanted/needed what I had, so I paid up with only a mild comment about the lack of WiFi.
                    Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

My gigantic corporate store uses online coupons ... but if I understood my supervisor's explanation, the equipment at my store is too antiquated to be able to use them ...
                      Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

My phone is crappy and literally can't load anything more onto it than it has on there now, but I can't afford to replace it yet. So digital coupons are useless to me. It bothers me that so many companies want everything to go digital, because a lot of people, like me, can't afford an expensive phone with all the bells and whistles, and others have trouble with the technology. It's hard for older brains to retain new information! This is a hard truth that I have begun to have to face as I am now 64 years old and find it takes me longer to learn new things than it used to. BUT!! Nobody should be rude about this with store employees! Being nice will get you further than being nasty or rude. Too bad some people still haven't learned this.
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          I'd definitely use the coupons less if I was forced to use an app in order to redeem them o_O For my grocery shopping, they are connected to my shopper card and can be loaded on their site instead of the app, so it's not an issue there. Only one fats-food () place I go to requires an app to redeem them.

Once in a while I will use a digital coupon from the Litter Box (I have the app on my phone . . . that Shop & Save perk is nice when I'm in between paychecks) if it's for something I use everyday (such as laundry products, cleaning or pet food) but otherwise I don't fool with them.

Either way, it's cool.
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I'll sometimes use them too; however unlike my mom, if it doesn't go through I don't complain (although having actually witnessed what I have to deal with regarding digital coupons and SCO she's getting better about it). It really doesn't help when someone scans their card at the very end; the savings come off, but we have no way of knowing which coupon is for which item. To make things worse, digital coupons just read as 'SAVINGS' and some people want to know exactly what savings came from a store sale and what came from a coupon

Cashiers can print an 'on-demand receipt' prior to payment that will match savings with items, but SCO has to suspend the transaction and bring it to a regular register in order to see anything.
                            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                            X