No announcement yet.

No, I can't just take your word for it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, I can't just take your word for it!

I'm working down at the hotel today and some guy calls in to make a reservation. He has a gift certificate he wants to use for one night's stay at the hotel, and he wants to book around Valentine's Day.

I asked him what exactly the gift certificate says on it - he repeats 'one night's stay at the hotel'.

Me: Okay, what is the number on the gift certificate?

Him: Why does that matter?

Me: So I can look it up in the system to check for any black-out dates.

Him: Why is that important? Can't you just take my word for it that it's what I say it is?

Me: Because if it isn't valid to be used on the date you want to book you'll have to pay the entire non-discounted price of the room. Now, you can use <name of special> gift certificate towards the cost of the room, but anything over and above the dollar value of the certificate you'll have to pay.

Him: I don't have the gift certificate with me. I'll call back shortly once I get a photo of it sent to me.

It's been over an hour. Either he hasn't gotten a photo sent to him or it's the particular gift certificate with black-out dates applied to it and he doesn't want to spend another $100 on top of it to book a room during V-Day week. Meh.

To me he is just too lazy to read the ticket's instructions, there is also the possibility that this is a scam attempt. He gets someone to agree (recorded?) that he will get the discount, then when he shows up he demands the discount claiming it was promised to him.

Comment

Even if it is legit, 2 weeks' notice seems WAY too late to book anything around Valentine's >_>
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Even if it is legit, 2 weeks' notice seems WAY too late to book anything around Valentine's >_>
        Indeed. You want a hotel room or a romantic, candlelit dinner at a fancy restaurant on Valentine's Day, you'd better lock that shit down at LEAST a month out.

Comment

Even more for some places. There's a nice restaurant in New Orleans (Galatoire's) that is REALLY popular for Mother's Day. They take start taking MD reservations a year in advance. I'm sure they get people still trying to book tables a day before or just walking in with their Mom on the day of.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Reminds me of an SC I had back when I worked at the Bent Staple who handed me a $50 coupon that he had torn the expiration date off of, which invalidated the coupon. My manager had to resort to phoning it in for verification, and surprise surprise, it was long-expired. And he argued that it was good! No! It's not! And you KNOW it's not because you wouldn't have tried to pull a fast one on us if it was! Get lost!
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Well if any nice females are available for Valentine's Day next year, I can book us in now
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
              X