Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you tried actually emailing someone who can do something about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you tried actually emailing someone who can do something about it?

You'd think that working for a smaller government agency that most people have never heard of would shield you from SCs, but alas, that is not the case.
    About a week ago, I got copied on an email ranting and raving about how mask mandates are wrong and evil and I'm sure we all know the drill by now. I especially appreciated the fact that they brought up a judge's ruling in New York, as if it would apply to any state other than New York (hint, I am not in New York).
    I also appreciated the fact that I am a financial analyst, there is absolutely nothing I could do, even if I wanted to, about mask mandates in the organizations that we oversee.
    Last night she sent another email complaining that she had emailed 10 people and not one person had the common decency to even acknowledge or respond to her concerns.
    Well, let's see, the people she emailed, in order:
    1. Someone who hasn't worked here for nearly a month now, his email address isn't even on our website anymore.
    2. A data analyst supervisor
    3. A financial and operations analyst supervisor
    4. a financial analyst (me)
    5. a site inspector
    6. an organizational analyst
    7. the deputy director for my section
    8. a data analyst
    9. a secretary
    10. our legal counsel (okay, he might be able to do something).
    11. the executive director (okay, she might be able to do something, also apparently our emailer can't count).

Of the 11 people she emailed, only two might have any authority to do something, not that it matters, because this is an issue that comes directly from the governor's office and the legislature, we don't have the luxury of just willy nilly making up our own rules, we have to follow the rules given to us by the governor and the legislature until either they or a court in our state (not New York) tells us otherwise.

And no, of course I never even contemplated responding to her first email. I'm a financial analyst. What am I supposed to tell her? The facts and figures behind how much it costs to provide masks?
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

I'm not going to say any of the things I wanted to about the emailer. Instead, I shall simply offer you my sympathies. Rules exist for a reason. Including rules against a wild virus.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
      I'm not going to say any of the things I wanted to about the emailer. Instead, I shall simply offer you my sympathies. Rules exist for a reason. Including rules against a wild virus.
      Yes, I knew very well how easily this could devolve into fratching territory... I'm very specifically criticizing her expecting a financial analyst to be able to provide any type of response.

Comment

Didn't anyone tell about this in training? As soon as you got hired by the government you became one of "them". You are all powerful and all knowing, the only reason you won't give the SC the President's personal cell number is because you are too lazy to take your phone out of your pocket.

They also had the lovely habit of dialing random numbers using our prefix and when they got someone to answer the phone, expecting that person to drop everything to fix the SC's problem no matter what it is because the SC pays your salary.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
          You'd think that working for a smaller government agency that most people have never heard of would shield you from SCs,
          HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA ...

Sorry. I worked for 8 different government agencies over my 35 year career. There was never a shortage of SCs.

The best way I dealt with SCs when I worked for the Navy was when they misheard my first name a Captain. Calmed them down real quick.

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I was waiting for "12. Someone who used to work for us who's been dead for 15 years."
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

13.Someone who has never worked for us and no-one here has a clue why they might even be
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                13.Someone who has never worked for us and no-one here has a clue why they might even be
                Eh, that one happens a lot... except for the most part we know exactly who it is... it is some self styled "advocate" that people think will come in and save them if they are aware of the problem, so they CC them on everything (and for the most part, these "advocates" love it, they love the attention, they love people thinking that they are important and powerful, rather than just another nutjob with a twitter account).

Comment

Working...
                X