Claim Form Lottery Customer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claim Form Lottery Customer

On Sunday, a customer came in with a lottery ticket. I checked the ticket on the ticket checker and it told me the amount won and that a claim form would need to be filled out. I got the front end manager but she was busy helping with a spill. I put the ticket through the lottery machine and it told me to fill out a claim form and not pay the customer.
    The customer was saying that a claim form shouldn't have to be filled out for that amount of money. He even said that recently brought in a winning ticket with a higher amount and he didn't need to fill out a claim form then. I ended up getting the assistant store director who informed the customer that I needed to go by what the lottery machine said. The front end manager ended up making copies of the papers that came out of the lottery machine.
    It turned out that the ticket was over 6 months old and needed a claim form because of the amount won. The ticket with the higher amount didn't need a claim form because it was less than 6 months old and wasn't high enough to need a claim form.
    The customer kept saying he was going to report this. He even insisted on his money but he was informed that we couldn't do it then so he left with his copy of the claim form and without the money.
    Last edited by purplecat41877; 05-10-2022, 06:38 PM.
    My Fanfic Page
    My Fiction Page
    My Social Group
    My Pet Social Group
    My You Tube Channel

6 months? And he expected to be paid?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

He did but the claim center will be paying him once they process the form. Then he'll receive a check in the mail in a few weeks.
      My Fanfic Page
      My Fiction Page
      My Social Group
      My Pet Social Group
      My You Tube Channel

Comment

The number of big jackpots that go unclaimed for long times, or expire entirely, never ceases to surprise me.
        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

RU - I'm fairly certain that the lottery companies (the ones supplying the tickets, not the retail stores) are banking on exactly that. They can say that people have won $X over the years, even if not all of it has actually been collected.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh I'm sure. Our lottery is run as a national non-profit, so anything that goes unclaimed ends up going to charities, but even so the number of multi-million payouts that don't get picked up... Lost, forgotten tickets, random numbers people don't think to look up, probably also someone winning way more than they expected and scared of the consequences.
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Rules are rules. I hope he gets with the program.
              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

In most states, lottery tickets are valid for a year. More than once I found old tickets (6 to 10 months) while cleaning. Never any significant winners.
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

If someone was especially smart, one may take the time to consult a lawyer to protect winnings from friends or ne'r do well relatives before claiming a prize.

It may take time to find the *right* lawyer. too.
                  https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...d-fraud-mafia/

Comment

I'm so glad I live in a state where if you win you can claim it anonymously, I've never understood having to claim it with your real name and picture in the media. All that does is put a target on someone's back.

Comment

Quoth purplecat41877 View Post
                      On Sunday, a customer came in a lottery ticket..
                      Ewwww Bad customer!

The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
                        I'm so glad I live in a state where if you win you can claim it anonymously, I've never understood having to claim it with your real name and picture in the media. All that does is put a target on someone's back.
                        I think it is done that way so they advertise winners happen. makes more people inclined to buy lottery tickets. Supposedly.
                        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

I think it is done that way so they advertise winners happen. makes more people inclined to buy lottery tickets. Supposedly.
                          It's also done for transparency. Don't want people claiming that the winners are fictitious or it is rigged.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                          X