Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're playing dumb and I don't appreciate it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You're playing dumb and I don't appreciate it.

OK, so clients can have multiple contracts with us if they have our stuff in different offices. This one does.
    I send the past due information to "Bob". He emails back saying, no, they closed that contract last year. He gives me a ticket number; great. I look it up. I respond that the termination was for a different contract/account number in their company. The one assigned to me is open and billing and very past due. He sends a terse email with the contract/account details, I'm guessing the one he thinks is closed. I respond that yes, that is correct for Contract X (he'd recognize the number as the one I provided before as being past due and assigned to me) and that it is 380+ days overdue. He responds "What is 380+ days overdue?" Um, THE CONTRACT YOU JUST MENTIONED?
    I am done arguing over email. If I haven't sent demand letters I am sending them and then making my quote for termination and placement with outside collections. I'm coding the account "refusal to pay". It's been over a year and our head of collections would say "These people have wasted enough of my time." At the point of over a year, that's true.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I've found that people who "play dumb" often aren't playing.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Agreed. Stupidity is everywhere, in many ways.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
        Pretty much exactly my thought about the subject line. "How sure are you they're PLAYING dumb?"
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I believe at this point he's now arguing with the outside collection agency. He may be dumb, but they have all the receipts. We gave them to them.

Comment

Is that SC really playing?
            At 2:10:
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Oh, I'll play dumb and hope you'll get so frustrated that you'll just let me away with my scam. If that doesn't work, he'll go with the classic "taking my business elsewhere". Yeah assclown, if you're not paying your bills, that's not exactly a bad thing.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

We'll force him to take it elsewhere. I generally try to avoid placing but sometimes it makes me happy.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  It's usually more like Obfuscating Stupidity. They keep playing dumb in the hopes that you'll get frustrated and give up, letting them have their way. Giving him to an outside collection agency is the smart thing to do; they'll kibosh that nonsense PDQ.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Yep, the only reason my team is collecting at all on these really old ones is so we can say "We called X phone numbers, sent letters to all the Accounts Payable contacts that the client provided, attempted to settle the contract, etc." If we have all our ducks in a row and that's documented, we can send them to collections knowing we've covered our butt in case they sue us. Before my team existed the off-shore collectors did it all and it wasn't organized. They also don't seem to have the same negotiating skills we do, either because of a lack of training or because they weren't hand-picked to do collections because of said skills. We were. We just do a bit better on the overall process. The accounts that drag out for a year are problematic and I guess those companies are the ones that tend to want to take us to court. My goal is to get it off the books either by payment or placement. While payment is better, Finance will take the loss on a placed account. It just looks bad for us to have such old debt. My job is hard but I actually like what we do. I feel we're valuable.

Comment

Working...
                    X