Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confirm that you're booking the correct date.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirm that you're booking the correct date.

I wish more people double-check the date they have booked for a hotel room so I could avoid conversations like the one I just had.

I'm on call tonight and I just got a call from somebody trying to check in after hours. No big deal, that is part of what being on call is about - I give the guest the code for the door, tell them where to find their room information, and all is good.

Except for tonight. There is no information for the guest trying to check in.

So I pull up our booking system and search for the guest's name. And it's for next year. I tell the guest this.

"No, the email confirmation says it's today."

I explain that with third party bookings they automatically get entered into our system and we are not able to change them, and to confirm the year that is showing in their email.

"But I booked it today!"

Yes, but that doesn't mean you booked it for tonight. Especially when at the time you booked we were already closed to reservations for tonight due to having no rooms left. And no, we don't have any rooms anywhere available tonight as we've been booked solid for over a week.

"Are you sure you can't fit us in somewhere?"

I'm absolutely sure. We have no rooms left as we are fully booked up for the entire weekend. (Not to mention that the guest services desk is closed and I'm not about to head down to the hotel to figure out a room for guests that can't be bothered to confirm that they've got the correct date reserved).

"Then I'm going to complain to a manager!"

Guess what? You're speaking to one.

Huh, they hung up. If they complain anywhere online and I find it, I'll be sure to set the story straight.

Edited to add:

In the time it took me to type all the above the presumed guest cancelled their reservation for next year. Still, if they try to complain about not being able to get a room tonight I can still access the cancelled reservation in our system - they don't ever go away so it will be there for me to look on another day if I so wish. I feel for them, don't get me wrong, but the attitude I was given over the phone kinda lessens my empathy for them.
    Last edited by KuariKaydrith; 07-09-2022, 01:48 AM.

I never understand this. If something is on your computer it does not matter what they do on their machine, your copy still exists.

Comment

What a dreadful mess.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I've heard so many stories of third party booking nightmares that I'm scared to use one. I think I get better results calling the hotel directly because then I can talk to a person who knows about the hotel.

Comment

And for love of all things holy, read the goddamn fine print. Some sites do one of the following; have the accommodation charge one night to check your card is valid, charge the full stay on the spot, pay on arrival. Don’t get pissy at me just because I’m following the site’s instructions and you were too stupid to check the terms and conditions before pressing confirm.

Comment

We will be staying at a resort in Tucson for a week. After reading this thread and a couple of other booking nightmare stories elsewhere, I got all worried and stuff. I pulled up the conformation email and double checked the dates, then called the resort to double check that all was good. The young lady who answered the phone was very nice about it and said she would much rather get a hundred of my calls than one middle of the night screamer.

Comment

Turtleguy and I showed up a day early for a reservation, and there was nowhere for the hotel to put us. We acknowledged that it had been our mistake, and the hotel clerk called up a new hotel and got us a room. She didn't have to do that, but we appreciated that she did and thanked her profusely. After that we paid attention to what the acknowledgement card this particular hotel sends out actually says.

Comment

I always dread having a booking failure like this - which is why I double and triple check everything before booking, and then check again after I've booked just to make sure.
                the end of an era is not the completion of a destiny. Momentum comes when we believe the best for the future, we keep speaking life into the future, and we commit to the future - Brian Houston

Comment

Working...
                X