Congratulations, you finally broke me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations, you finally broke me

I am a professional quilter. Basically you have an idea and I turn it into artwork you can snuggle with. I also have a large stash of fabric set aside to design my own quilts to sell. I'm celebrating 20 years of making quilts this month, which you'd think would be a big deal.

I live in Oklahoma, which is one of the poorest states. There's a lot of people here that only shop at discount stores, meanwhile I'm buying the best quality fabrics and threads to make sure my quilts last a lifetime. It's a very uphill climb to get the great unwashed masses to understand that a cheap Walmart quilt is not the same as one of mine. Unfortunately it makes my life a living hell.

I love making quilts. I'm an artist, so telling me to just stop sewing is like telling someone to stop breathing. I've had other jobs in the past, but I end up with bosses that steal from me or scream in my face for no reason. I can't take that level of abuse either.

Basically whenever I set up at the local event, this same scenario plays out:

Stranger: Oh, I love all your quilts, they're so beautiful! Did you make them?
    Me: Yes Ma'am.
    S: Wow, you're so talented! I really love this one, how much is it?
    M: That's a queen size that won an award at the State Fair, it's $515
    S: What? What the fuck is wrong with you?
    M: Excuse me?
    S: It's just a blanket, you stuck up bitch.
    M: I'd be happy to explain, this is custom printed fabric, and this pattern takes me 45 to 50 hours to complete, so really...
    S: I don't care how much time you wasted. It's only worth $50, take it or leave it.
    M: I'll have to leave it ma'am.
    S: You're such a fucking retard. I can't believe this. You're never going to sell anything with that attitude of yours. *stomps off*
    M: *tries not to cry*

I was used to it, sadly. No matter what I do, whenever I try to earn money I get treated like shit. Once the gas prices started going up in March, it got so much worse. I was set up at an expensive event ($500 for a booth and I was the only one with sewn items.) It was a long event - 10 am to 8pm, and the entire time my only interactions were negative. I was called a thief, a liar, a scammer, an elitist bitch, an idiot, a retard, a bastard and my personal favorite a "cancer on society". It hurt a lot. I also didn't cover booth rent for the first time in a decade.

Three shows in May and all were disasterous. Didn't make booth rent and wasted time. I was lucky if people just walked by. If they stopped, it was to say something hateful - like I'm in charge of gas prices. June and July I have comic cons, so thankfully no rude comments. I have 100+ quilts at my house and bills to pay, so when I've been setting up at an event, I put the quilts on sale. Luckily I've sold a few, but it doesn't cover the cost of fabric. Like my twin size quilts appraise for $900, I try to sell them at $315, and right now people are arguing that $100 is too much.

I'm so tired and worn down. 20 years down the toilet and I still get treated like shit and can't sell anything. I'm marking everything down and having a big sale. It's not like I live in a mansion and spoil myself with shopping and vacations 24/7. I've never been to a spa, I cut my own nails and hair, and the last time I went on vacation was when my MIL died in 2015. Before that was my honeymoon in 2002. I just don't understand why no matter what I do, I get treated so horribly. I do my best to be polite to everyone and try to help as much as I can - but I'm treated like I'm Satan incarnate.

I'm giving up.

https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

I'm so sorry you've gone through that. People can be such jerks. I could never afford one of your quilts, but I can't imagine arguing about the price. Or even less insulting you for setting the price where you do. What is wrong with those people? (I ask rhetorically.)
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Humans. The world would be so much better off without them because they're so cruel.
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I can get one of your queen sized quilts for only $515.00 dollars? I'm PMing you,
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
          I can get one of your queen sized quilts for only $515.00 dollars? I'm PMing you,
          Actually I'm struggling to sell them for $200 - $250 right now. Which just barely covers the cost of fabric.

Comment

People are absolutely assholes. Have you looked into selling them on Etsy or something similar? With good SEO (titles/keywords etc) you'd be reaching out to your actual target market instead of the cheapskates.

I have heard that shows are hard for everyone right now. No one wants to spend money on things and are getting pretty mean about it, so it's not just you. *big hugs*

Comment

I've had an Etsy shop for a decade now. It's crazy there too. You have to eat the cost of shipping and Etsy takes 30% of the total sale price. So for a small quilt that I sell in person for $40, if I sold it on Etsy for the same price I would only get $13.

Not to mention that its $15 in fabric costs and 3 to 4 hours of work.
              Last edited by Kanalah; 08-05-2022, 03:12 AM.

Comment

You definitely have to either not offer free shipping or work the cost of shipping and fees into the item. I was skeptical of adding $15 to my already $45 dice trays to do the 'free shipping' thing, but people still buy them so *shrugs*. Etsy's kind of a crazy place sometimes.

Comment

I'm doing an experiment on Etsy right now. I have my quilts marked at what they "should" be. (Cost of materials + $16.25/hour labor - which is min wage with 20 years experience.) I've had people tell me to just raise the prices and everything will sell.

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                    I've had people tell me to just raise the prices and everything will sell.
                    There is a logic to that. There is a class of people who like to brag about how much they paid. "I can afford $$$" or "Price = Quality".

The age old challenge of marketing: You have to put the right product in front of the right person at the right price and the right time.

As is obvious from your post, those markets/events that you are attending are not attracting the right people. You are getting bargain hunters, not connoisseurs.

Have you tied eBay? Auctions have a tendency to drive prices up.

Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                    Save the Ales!
                    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

With so many mass-made items being sold on Etsy, people really are willing to look for the price as a sign of potential quality. It can't hurt to price one or two of the more elaborate ones up to test the waters.
                      This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                      I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Kanalah View Post
                        I'm doing an experiment on Etsy right now. I have my quilts marked at what they "should" be. (Cost of materials + $16.25/hour labor - which is min wage with 20 years experience.) I've had people tell me to just raise the prices and everything will sell.
                        That can be very true. There are a lot of people who judge quality based on price alone. I hope it works out for you!

Comment

I recall a story of a guy who make a coffee table out of a large piece of scrap lumber. He asked a store owner if he could sell it in the store. The owner agreed. It sat there with an $80 price tag for a long time. After he raised the price to $800 is sold very quickly.
                          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this happened. Anyone that thinks a hand made quilt is only worth $50 is too stupid to even be able to tell the difference between quality and cheap mass produced junk. $515 for an award winning queen sized one is a good deal to me.

Comment

As somebody who once made custom grad and bridal gowns I know all too well where you're coming from. I gave it up after too many clients deciding that they were going to fight me on the cost of my work. Even now I only sew when it's something I want or if I'm making a gift for somebody. I know how much work goes into even a basic quilt and $50 doesn't even come close to covering the cost of fabric, let alone your time!

Comment

Working...
                              X