No, you can't check in early!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, you can't check in early!

Check out at my hotel is 11am and check-in is 3pm. Staffing levels are well below what we need to keep things on the go but we're somehow managing to squeak by. Barely.

I stick to the 3pm check-in so that my housekeepers aren't overwhelmed with trying to turn over 20+ rooms in the four hours we have between check-out and check-in. And I still get people arriving before 11am expecting to get into their rooms early. Or I get questioned about our check-in time.

I don't know how many times I'm going to keep repeating myself daily about this.

Even if everybody checks out prior to 11am we don't have enough staff to get those rooms ready when people show up prior to 3pm. For example, today somebody showed up BEFORE 11am and demanded to check-in early because they had spa appointments for 11:30am. When I told them that we could not accommodate them at the hotel before 3pm they got snotty with me and told me that the spa told them they could check in early. They didn't like it very much when I told them that under no circumstances does the spa dictate our check-in policy, nor would they have advised them that they could check-in early at the hotel. Yes, they asked to speak to a manager. They weren't very happy when I informed them that I am the assistant general manager over the spa and accommodations, and when they threatened to cancel their reservation and spa bookings I advised them that there was a 24hr cancelation policy and if they canceled anything today they'd be on the hook for everything still anyways. Cue cat-butt faces. But they figured out that I wasn't going to budge and then left for their spa services.

Just had another couple try to check-in early and they got pissy too about not being able to check-in until 3pm. They weren't much more gracious that the earlier guest, and were even more put out over the fact that I couldn't switch them from a queen to a king room, even after I explained that we're completely booked solid and don't have any wiggle room to move people around. I almost told them that if they wanted a king bed they should have booked it while they still could, but I'm sure if I'd said that they'd have told me that there weren't any available when they booked online...as if that wouldn't have been enough of a clue.

I swear that my mind is going to be gone by the end of the summer.

I've only been in the situation where I've needed an early check-in once, and it was for a multiday conference being held at that hotel, so they were completely aware of the need and had provision in place for us to book in and store our luggage until the first day's events were over and the rooms would actually be ready. The idea that you could just turn up without even asking and get a room before check-in boggles the mind!
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I did show up and ask once. We'd driven from SC to MD overnight for a con and got there much earlier than I expected. (No traffic overnight and needing fewer stops than we thought had a lot to do with that.) I asked politely and they were skeptical. They did offer to hold our luggage so we could go out and about but I declined because I was way too tired and said we'd just hang out in the lobby (giant lobby, lots of couches and stuff that weren't occupied). I don't know if it was because I was trying not to nod off in the lobby or being polite despite being 19 or what, but they had our room ready about half an hour later. I did thank them very sincerely and then got my nap!

Comment

Politeness gets you everywhere! I will usually go above and beyond for nice guests, but if they act entitled I won't bust my ass for them. There have been a handful of guests who have asked nicely if we could get them in early, fully understanding if we aren't able to do this, and I've moved things around where I could to get them in early.

Comment

Mrs. TGK & I know that early check in is a crap shot. The last time our room wasn't ready (our flight was actually early--not something you see everyday), the hotel bar was open so we could wait there. Another time is was a bargain place without such amenities, so we went for lunch; the reception gladly held our bags both times.
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
          X