A little more specificity would be nice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little more specificity would be nice

Still doing my job as cashier at a large corporate grocery store. This happened today but has also happened many, many times before ...

It had gotten really slow so I was putting hangers onto the return rack (we sell clothing as well as food and other assorted things) and was walking past another register when I saw the cashier flipping through her binder with a puzzled look on her face. These binders were set up (FINALLY) so each register could keep its own list of bar codes for things like lottery tickets, garden supplies, codes for things like hot and cold deli stuff, etc.

I walked over and asked if I could help.

Customer (he wasn't sucky -- he did have an accent, not a major one, but it didn't help): "Yes, I want this [stuff] for the garden."

Me: "What are you looking for? The 'Black Earth'?"

Customer: "No, not that. It's in a brown bag. I want two bags. It's $4.99 a bag" He holds his hands quite far apart to show the size of the bag.

Cashier: "Are you looking for mulch?"

Customer: "No, not mulch." He adds, "It's $4.99 a bag."

We go through a few more things, based on what's listed in the binder. He still doesn't know the name of the stuff but keeps saying "It's $4.99 a bag."

Luckily, as I said, it was very slow, so I turned off the light at my register and the guy and I walked out front so he could SHOW me what he wanted.

And sure enough, there it was ... a big, light brown plastic bag of ... something (seriously, I can't even remember what it was) and the sign read $4.99 a bag.

I grabbed the sign and we went back in. The cashier was ringing somebody else through by this time so I just rang the guy through on my own register.

And THEN ...

"Oh, can you get somebody to help me put it in my car?"

I had two or three people do that today ... wait until they were completely finished with their transaction and THEN ask for help getting the stuff in their car. We have to call for one of the guys collecting buggies to do that ... and if the guy is in the parking lot, of course, he won't hear the call. So it behooves customers to ask for such help AT THE START of the transaction; otherwise they end up standing around waiting until the guy hears the call and comes over.

For the record, whatever it was that he'd bought, I have never ever seen it come across my register before.
    Last edited by Pixelated; 09-02-2022, 02:21 AM.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero
Working...
X