First one may be Sucky Customer OR Sucky Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First one may be Sucky Customer OR Sucky Me

1) Okay, I'll 'fess up: today I finally traumatized a small child for the first time since starting here.

I was ringing up two customers -- two women -- and two other women came up behind them with an overloaded buggy and two or three kids (can't remember now). The one kid scooted around my current customers, went to the end of the counter ... and started stepping on the pedal that causes the belt to move. Step ... foot off ... step ... foot off ... step ... foot off ... etc. etc. etc. ... so the belt kept jerking and stopping.

The current customers had two bags of goods at the end of the belt. As the belt kept moving, the bags were getting pushed together, AND squished up against the (admittedly low) frame on the counter. Plus, it's not unusual for those cheap plastic bags to get sucked INTO the belt.

I know there's a button that will turn that thing off but couldn't remember which one it was and didn't want to start experimenting. So I leaned over towards the kid.

Me: "STOP ... PLAYING ... WITH THE PEDAL."

The kid's eyes turned into dinner plates, and he sidled off quickly to get back to Mom's side.

If it had been his own family's groceries, I wouldn't have said boo. Let Mom or Grandma deal with him, or deal later on with broken eggs and/or squished bread. But this was somebody else's stuff.

2) This wasn't sucky so much as a bit TMI. Woman comes up to counter with a couple of gift cards in her hand. One was from our store.

Customer: "With this gift card ... you can JUST buy food, right?"

Me: "Um ... yes ..."

Customer: "ONLY food??"

Me: ??

Nearby supervisor: "Yes, ma'am, it ONLY allows you to buy food. You can't even use it to buy other gift cards."

Customer: "Okay, thank you, then this is the one I want. My brother's a gambler, see ...."

Yeah, okay, I can write the rest of that one myself. No, he cannot buy anything else, nor can we give him cash for it. Which might make for a bit of a scene if he comes in and tries to trade it in for the cash value ... but that's why the store manager gets paid the big bucks: to deal with stuff like this.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

I would say the first one was sucky parenting. Probably good that you didn't get the precious brat's attending adult complaining at you for telling their darling progeny "no".
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      I would say the first one was sucky parenting. Probably good that you didn't get the precious brat's attending adult complaining at you for telling their darling progeny "no".
      To be honest, I was rather surprised that I didn't. I haven't seen a lot of Entitlement Parents coming through my register (though I'm sure they're out there) but this is the first time I've really snapped at a child in the few years I've worked there.
      ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
        Totally agree, they should've been controlling the kid. Since they couldn't be bothered, you simply asked the kid to stop messing around. If you'd called him a mean name or swore, yeah, that would be sucky, but simply telling him to stop pressing the pedal is not sucky.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

Totally agree, they should've been controlling the kid. Since they couldn't be bothered, you simply asked the kid to stop messing around. If you'd called him a mean name or swore, yeah, that would be sucky, but simply telling him to stop pressing the pedal is not sucky.
          Yeah, I would never do that. For one thing it's completely unnecessary, not to mention counter-productive.

When I worked at a now-defunct looseleaf tea store, we had self-serve samples everywhere. On one occasion a kid was helping himself to sample after sample after sample. His mother kept saying "Enough!" but he wouldn't stop. I finally put my hand on the tap and said "DID YOU NOT HEAR YOUR MOTHER??" Same results; the kid stared at me, stunned, and then backed off. His mother mouthed "Thank you" at me.

Happy to be of help, lady, but really, how is it that YOUR kid doesn't listen?
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
          X