You have no idea? Seriously?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have no idea? Seriously?!

Our big corporate store is finally getting into line with the ban on plastic bags. The deadline is supposed to be Mar. 3 (businesses got an extension so they could empty out the supplies in their warehouses). So I've been warning people as they come through my line. Most are fine with it. Some are surly about it (talk about First World problems).

The ones that blow my mind are the ones (admitted few) who say "What? But ... WHY?!"

I mean, I'm not a rabid follower of the news, but please, people can you give me directions to the cave you've been living in for the past four or five years? (This was supposed to go into effect a few years ago before COVID dropped in.)
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Where I am has had plastic bags banned for close to a couple of years or so, I've lost track of how long it's been now. Yet I still run into people who get angry over stores not having plastic bags and refuse to pay for paper or re-usable. I'm really bad for forgetting to bring bags with me so I just suck up the fact that I'm going to have to pay for more if I want to get my items home easily.

I know a lot of folks used to use those plastic bags for garbage or cleaning up after their animals. Hell, I used to save all of my plastic shopping bags for those reasons. Now, I just buy the biodegradable bags to dispose of cat litter and bathroom garbage. All other garbage gets divided into recyclables (blue bags) or regular garbage (clear bags) as my city has restricted the use of black/green bags to one per household and only to be used for stuff like diapers or other unmentionables - you can put out any number blue bags out on garbage day, but you're restricted to four bags of regular garbage (1 black/green, and 3-4 clear).

Even now, I have people try to tell me that 'by law' I have to give them bags for their stuff. One, I work in a gas station so it's highly unlikely folks will be doing their grocery shopping here as we don't have a lot of grocery items, and two, there's no such law -_- If they continue to demand a bag, I give them a big ol' clear garbage bag for their bag of chips and can of pop.

Comment

My standard if people telling me ``It`s the law`` is to reply ``Then call the police!``.

So far it has been 0% calls in my 65 years of life.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
        My standard if people telling me ``It`s the law`` is to reply ``Then call the police!``.

So far it has been 0% calls in my 65 years of life.
        Mind if I steal this? We have a lot of customers that like to make up their own "laws" here.
        Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

I don't mind the bans so much, though I do think the stores should have to give paper bags for free. It's not our fault the laws changed, and the stores can afford it.

Comment

In many areas, the charge for paper is set by the law.
            “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
            One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
            The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
              In many areas, the charge for paper is set by the law.
              True. Usually the idea is to reduce plastic bag littering.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Our bag law was supposed to go into effect around 2020 or so, but Covid put a two year hold on that, since no one wanted to expose grocery staff to used and perhaps germy bags. When we were told "NO REUSABLE BAGS ALLOWED" I counted no less than 24 of them in my home. Other half doesn't often remember to bring a bag in, so just buys a reusable one at the checkout.

My start with reusables was in 1986 - when moving to our first home, the local store sold us an enormous canvas grocery bag. If you filled it up it would be hard to lift. It is excellent for holding / corralling the other 23 bags, though.

I found that after I had carried a bag into the store four times, I remembered it pretty regularly.

My only frustration is that in removing the bags, stores also removed the wire frames that hold the bags up and open. I tossed a couple soft, floppy ones that don't stand up by themselves.

Comment

Quoth Kittykat View Post
                  I don't mind the bans so much, though I do think the stores should have to give paper bags for free. It's not our fault the laws changed, and the stores can afford it.
                  In-fact that is exactly what is happening in some local stores already, free paper bags or you buy a re-usable bag.

PS. I found doubling paper bags work fine in my garbage bin as long as I take care not to dump wet stuff in the bottom half.

Comment

So it's now ... six days until the bag ban at my store. I am still reminding customers about the deadline, although most are already aware, as I mentioned above. Some think it's a good idea, some are simply resigned, and some are really PO'd about it. And you get the ones who say "But there's plastic here and here and here, so what's the point??"

Their point, apparently, being that since we can't wave a magic wand and fix the whole problem at one go, why are we doing anything at all?

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post

In-fact that is exactly what is happening in some local stores already, free paper bags or you buy a re-usable bag.

PS. I found doubling paper bags work fine in my garbage bin as long as I take care not to dump wet stuff in the bottom half.
                    Our store is not going with paper; don't ask me why. I suspect they've merely decided that it's an expense they don't want to bother with, because, you know, profits. Those fourth vacation homes aren't gonna buy themselves. I know a locally-owned grocery store has done the same thing: no paper, BYOB. However, that store is not part of a multi-billion-dollar conglomerate.

Good point about the paper bags. I mentioned to one customer that I'm old enough to remember watching my mother put out paper bags full of household garbage (including kitchen garbage), so if I do find a store offering paper bags (likely not for free, but still) at least I know it can be done.
                    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post
                      My only frustration is that in removing the bags, stores also removed the wire frames that hold the bags up and open. I tossed a couple soft, floppy ones that don't stand up by themselves.
                      Yes, that's the part that irritates me. Even folding the opening over doesn't always keep the bag open. A frame would be very helpful, even a hook or two would.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth workerbee222 View Post

I tossed a couple soft, floppy ones that don't stand up by themselves.

That's what she said ....
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

HAHAHA, yeah, did I say it was six days until the plastic bag ban at my store?

It's been extended to the end of March.

A few customers have asked WHEN the bag ban actually goes into effect and my response now is "I have no idea. It's best if you keep bringing your own bags anyway, just in case -- because the day you don't will be the day we have no more plastic bags."

What a fucking incompetently-run company.
                          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                            What a fucking incompetently-run company.
                            That could be a clue as to where you work, if it weren't for that fact that it describes too many of them. But I'll take a guess, Grumbels?
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

It may not be the store. Our state legislature mandated that stores charge for bags, so a large portion of the general public that doesn't really listen to the news is furious with the stores for charging for them.

Comment

Working...
                              X