Crazy Girlfriend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Girlfriend

I'm not sure where to start with this story. I guess I'll start with the guy whose girlfriend/significant other this story is about.

"Frank" was a local businessman for decades in town. He ran his business out of his home office. He only retired a couple years ago, and even then, he was still giving advice to long-term customers and friends.

Some months ago, maybe a year, he started bringing "Jaqueline" in with him when he came into our bank. Or maybe she was just tagging along. She seemed a little domineering, in my opinion. Telling the tellers what to do. "He wants to deposit this check." And complaining about bank employees in a stage whisper as they walked out the door. We suspected she might be trying to access his money, but we never saw him giving her money, so we didn't feel like there was anything (elder abuse, etc.) that we could act on.

Sometime last year, Frank moved into an assisted living facility. His daughter has power of attorney for him, so she took over his finances. We found out later that the daughter made an agreement with Jaqueline that she could continue living in the house as long as she paid the utilities and anything like phone and cable that she wanted. Jaqueline would come into the bank and make leading statements - not quite questions, but she seemed to be prying for information about Frank's accounts with us. We would give noncommittal answers. When she outright stated that she knew that Frank had accounts with us, we would tell her that we couldn't confirm that. Privacy laws, etc.

Earlier this year, Jaqueline opened her own checking account with us. This was the first time I really interacted with her. That's when I found out that she was still living in Frank's house. And her arrangement with Frank's daughter to pay the house bills. Cool, whatever works for you all. While I was typing up the documents, she started prying to see if she could get info about Frank's accounts again. I asked if she had power of attorney for Frank. No, his daughter does, she said with a scowl. Then I can't tell you anything. Obviously, she knows that he has accounts with us. That's fine, I said, but you didn't hear it from me. She said they were married (which I didn't believe for a second) as if that would give her access to his accounts. It doesn't.

Not only is she living in Frank's house, but she's using his post office box, too. The daughter later came in and complained to a CW about that. CW suggested telling the post office that someone found out the combination to his PO box and see if they can hold his mail. Jaqueline also mentioned trying to use Frank's fax machine, but it doesn't work any more. And he has a copier, but she doesn't know how to use it. It's like she's trying to get whatever value she can out of his stuff while she's living there. I even suspect that the envelope of cash she brought in to open her checking account was money he stashed in his house, but I can't prove that.

I was filling in on the teller line last week and had two more annoying interactions with her. First, she brought a $20 bill over from the ATM and asked for change. "Two 10s and a 5," she said. I started to say "ok" before I realized what she said. "No, I can't do that. I can give you two 5s and a 10." I don't know if she misspoke or was joking. She said, "I can't trick you guys any more." Very funny. She said it so deadpan, I'm not sure if she was serious or trying to pass it off as a joke or what.

Later that week, she brought in some documents she wanted faxed. I told her it was $5. She tried to say I'd told her faxes were free for customers. "I never said that." "I'm sure you did!" "NO." Then she finally pulled out some cash and I sent the fax for her. Ugh. I always tell new customers "Here's the list of fees and charges. These services are things that we charge for." Including faxes. Oh, also I glanced at the documents she wanted faxed and she listed Frank as her "significant other." So much for trying to tell me they were married.

This woman seems to be a compulsive liar. She's also really bad at manipulation. We may be dealing with her for a long time.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

she's using his post office box, too. The daughter later came in and complained to a CW about that. CW suggested telling the post office that someone found out the combination to his PO box
    I've got a question on this, Ghel.

Is this a P.O. Box at an actual post office, or one at the assisted living facility?

If it's at an actual post office, I find that fascinating because I've never seen a post office with combinations on the boxes. Where I live, the post office boxes in the post office just have a key that you get when you pay for the post office box.
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Our post office hasn't been updated since, I think, the 50s. Some of the PO boxes have keys, but some of them have cheap combination locks on them. Both types look like they'd be really easy to bypass if you wanted to and weren't worried about getting caught.

They look very much like this one for sale on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-196...6290086?_ul=IN

"I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

My uncle had a PO box that was still a combo dial lock, well into the 2010's. Small-ish Post Office, not so small city.

Still, yeah, that one is going to ransack that house, pulling out every last penny the guy had hidden away. Expect more attempts to get into his accounts, by whatever trickery she can think of. I seriously would expect some sort of crappy fake documents to start popping up, 'magically' giving her access to the guy's accounts.

Comment

I hope you're permitted to tell the daughter about the info fishing and other suspicious behavior on the girlfriend's part.
          "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

The daughter seems to be aware of the girlfriend's shenanigans. We assured her that we haven't given Jaqueline (or anybody else) any information or access to Frank's accounts.

And I wouldn't be surprised if she starts trying to sell some of Frank's stuff out of the house, if she thinks she can get away with it. Things that she thinks his daughter won't miss, maybe. Or maybe she won't even think that far ahead. She doesn't seem like the most with-it person. When I was sending her fax, she was reminiscing about starting her career in a time when women weren't allowed to wear pants to work.
            -Mira Furlan

Comment

Is there something you can set up like a security alert on the account-so Frank or his daughter can state 'I wish to be informed if anyone other than me/the person who has POA for me attempts to access my account information' and then you can let them know-'Dear Mr.Frank/Miss Frank'sdaughter,there was an attempt to access your account information-can you confirm whether or not this was authorised by you?'
              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

The daughter should get a professional inventory of everything in the house. So that when any of it ends up being missing they know who to blame.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                  Is there something you can set up like a security alert on the account-so Frank or his daughter can state 'I wish to be informed if anyone other than me/the person who has POA for me attempts to access my account information' and then you can let them know-'Dear Mr.Frank/Miss Frank'sdaughter,there was an attempt to access your account information-can you confirm whether or not this was authorised by you?'
                  There would be other legal issues here, and the confirmation request at the end would be especially problematic as it would 1: require disclosing who'd attempted access, and 2: could be abused by someone intercepting those communications to backdoor themselves into gaining access. It sounds like all necessary precautions are already in place.
                  This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                  I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Privacy regulations in the US say that we can't give out information about an account to anybody but an owner or authorized signer of that account. Or if they have Power of Attorney. So all we say to Jaqueline is that we can't confirm anything. Or that we can't give out that information. There's not much point telling the daughter about it since she's already aware of Jaqueline's hinky shit.

There's not much point setting up an alert for Frank or his daughter to receive. We don't give out information. We're definitely not giving his money to anyone else. And if we did it for one customer, we'd have to do it for everybody. That could run the bank into legal issues.
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      The daughter should get a professional inventory of everything in the house. So that when any of it ends up being missing they know who to blame.
                      Not blame, WHO TO CHARGE FOR THE COSTS. And that is 100% replacement cost too. So if this scammer says "I sold that lamp for $10" the reply is "The lamp costs $40 to replace, pay the $40 or go to jail.".

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post

Not blame, WHO TO CHARGE FOR THE COSTS. And that is 100% replacement cost too. So if this scammer says "I sold that lamp for $10" the reply is "The lamp costs $40 to replace, pay the $40 or go to jail.".
                        I like that idea.

Comment

Is this woman trying to claim some type of "common law marriage" arrangement with Mr. Frank?

I have a friend who is currently going through legal hell with a woman who is claiming something along these lines with his father... who has Alzheimer's...
                          "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                            Is this woman trying to claim some type of "common law marriage" arrangement with Mr. Frank?

I have a friend who is currently going through legal hell with a woman who is claiming something along these lines with his father... who has Alzheimer's...
                            I believe for a "common law marriage" claim to work the couple has to present themselves as being married. Co-habitation does not count. Of course, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV.

Comment

I do know very few states recognize "Common Law" Marriage anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X