This loan customer... I don't even...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This loan customer... I don't even...

Just when I thought I'd seen everything, along comes a potential customer who makes me go

The suckiness is pretty mild, but she had one hell of a story.

This woman made an appointment to apply for a cash-out refinance of her auto loan. She's got a loan with the dealership, and she's hoping to lower the payment. I figured we probably couldn't lower the interest rate, but we'd be able to extend out her payments to lower them.

She comes in this afternoon and we start discussing what she wants to do. That's when she adds that she's hoping to take out about $2,000 because she's moving back to Illinois (we're in Minnesota) to go back to work as a nurse. You see, she tells me, the requirements to be a nurse are much stricter in Minnesota. If you passed your nursing test in Minnesota, you can work as a nurse in Illinois or Wisconsin, but if you passed your nursing test in Illinois as she did, you can't work as a nurse in Minnesota. I have no idea if any of this is accurate, but that's why she said she needs to move back to Illinois.

During this part, I was thinking she seemed like an older woman and that it sucked that she felt she needed to go back to work in order to make ends meet. I didn't look at her age on the application until the very end - she's 79 years old! And she was very slow-moving when she left. How is she going to go back to work, especially at such a physically demanding job as nursing?

This wasn't the last of the WTF, either. She tells me that she and her husband came up to Minnesota shortly before the pandemic to work on (and maybe sell) their cabin. Then quarantine started and they couldn't sell the place. They moved into an apartment. Shortly after that, her husband discovered he had Alzheimer's. She didn't want to put him in the nursing home, but after he developed pneumonia, she had no choice. Then she got sick and had to have surgery. THEN her apartment got struck by lightning. Luckily, it didn't start a fire, but it traced a scorch mark along the floor, under her bed, and destroyed the downstairs neighbor's light fixture. It also made a wall in her apartment collapse?

With her apartment unlivable, she moved in with her brother, who has a rural home in the area. But that's only temporary.

Now, at 79 years old, she wants to move back to Illinois, return to nursing - possibly pediatric care, she said. But she needs to reduce her monthly payment on her car loan and get travel money. She wants to rent a trailer home when she gets there, but she doesn't have an address in Illinois yet. She has her brother's address and a post office box.

I probably could have turned her down for not having a permanent address, but I went ahead a processed her application. She had some late payments and a credit card that was closed by the company with the entire balance showing past due, so I had to turn down her application for that reason. When I asked her about it, she said she didn't know she had the account. They hadn't sent her a bill. I asked if maybe they didn't have her current address? (Since she has moved at least 3 times in as many years.) She just repeated that she didn't know how they could report that to the credit bureau if they didn't send her a bill. :sigh:

"I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

I can't help but wonder -- how much of what she told you actually happened?
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

That's a good point, MadMike. She was having trouble remembering simple things, like her brother's address and her previous address. She didn't know her son's address, either, for the nearest relative not living with her. She said they just text and call, they never write.
      "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
      -Mira Furlan

Comment

I am amazed at where some people get the information on 'if they don't send you a bill'. But I also kinda feel for the old lady here. I mean a 79 year old woman needing to return to work (assuming its true) is just rough. A lot of people wouldn't hire her due to her age alone (illegal I know, but only if they are silly enough to say that's the reason). Sucky situation all around.

Comment

On the account where she hadn't received a bill, she seemed more confused than anything.

She also said she'd been to the library (located across the parking lot) many times, but didn't know that there was a bank here. I see that as a combination of her not being observant and the building not being well-lit, etc. I wanted to say that I've mentioned to our Branch Manager multiple times that we don't have any exterior lighting on the bank (which seems like a safety issue) and our signage is very subtle. Too subtle, in my opinion. We've got brass signs on a brown background. It doesn't really stand out. We don't even have one of those ubiquitous signs with the bank name and the time and temperature constantly updating underneath. If you're not paying attention, or if you're not really looking for it, you could easily miss that there's a bank here.
          -Mira Furlan

Comment

Am I reading the OP right? I never knew that cash out refinancing on car notes was a thing. For mortgages yes, but not vehicles.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              Am I reading the OP right? I never knew that cash out refinancing on car notes was a thing. For mortgages yes, but not vehicles.
              Yes, car title loans are for real.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I suppose most folks wouldn't call them "cash out" loans when dealing with cars, but yeah. Basically, she said she wanted to refinance her existing loan to lower the payments, and then also asked for some additional money on top of that. It's something we could have done, if her credit had been good. We could have extended out the repayment schedule another year, say, to lower her payment amount. The interest rate would have been higher than her existing loan, since rates have gone up since she originally took out her loan, but also because we just can't compete with dealer rates. For some people, it's worth it to lower their monthly payment and/or get additional money.
                -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                X