And that just made it worse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And that just made it worse

Nv a known shoplifter comes in. He's homeless and has this huge blanket jver his shoulders that he uses to hide what he's stealing under it. All four of us, as it was shifts change, were standing around watching him. Afterwards called him out on his bs he stopped even attempting to hide it and basically through his blanket down and started looting the store putting it all on his blanket fur easy carry out. We called the cops bur as itsza non-violent crime and the cops are so corrupt here we didn't hold out much hope of anyone even showing up. Then taxi dude came in, and like an idiot, left his car running. This really isn't the area to do that if you want to keep your vehicle. So when the theif wanders outside without his blanket and loot, probably thinking he could get a ride, we lock hhe door. As I said, hes a known thief and has been known to get violent.

Course, dipshit sees the running taxi and decides to drive off in it. Cab driver runs out and manages to yank the keys from the passenger side. But now the guys pissed af. So we all managed to get back in and lock the doors while he stands there banging on the glass screaming. Cops still can't be bothered even after we update dispatch from "yeah this guy's steal hundreds of dollars worth of product" to "attempted car theft and assault, now trying to break in" (keeping in mind that the cop shop is less than 5 minutes away and by now it's been over an hour).

I'm worried more about my own car if dipshit starts smashing windows never mind any innocent people just coming in to get gas not knowing what they're walking in on. Eventually I straight up tell dispatch that if he gets through the door we will defend ourselves and they can then pick him up in a body bag. Which is a threat I've used before and sadly the only time the cops can be bothered to hustle. Just like last time, the threat of more paperwork makes them hurry. Funny how they can suddenly find the place so quickly.

I get that homelessness and mental health is a problem. I get that cops need training to deal with mental health problems, which here is considered extra and thus on the cops own dime. But the fact my city sticks its fingers in its ears and pretends the problem will just go away is an unfortunate trend. They've been slashing funds and closing basically every free option for people to get help for years and yet wonder how the problem got worse? Not only that but the cops are so corrupt they could be on a tv show. We've actually had enough incidents where they've "accidentally" delete rather then copy onto flash drive to the epoint we've instructed not to let them touch our system and to do it all for them by our legal dept. Can't press charges if there's no proof after all. Not to mention when we get copies of the report (because we may get called in to court andvour legal team doesn't want surprises) to confirm how things went down the timetables are often completely wrong (ie called at 4, showed up at 410 when in fact they didn't show for over an hour after calling. Leaving out the fact we update dispatch if things change but leaving in the part where we threaten to do their job for them so it makes us sound like impatient vigilantes instead. Omitting the fact that a customer either turned violent or was trying to damage the store so that if they get called out on their response time it's "we didn't know the situation changed". It's why we call 911 rather then the dispatch line itself now. 911 is operated by civilians on its own system. The dispatch line (for those stores that get a number of violent problems and us meant to be faster) however has an unfortunate habit of "accidentally" losing things. It's supposed to free up actual 911 for actual emergencies and deals with the problem of certain businesses having high crime...

Honestly, if it had just been the shoplifting he would have gotten off with a pwreety please don't do ghat again. The paperwork makes my wrist hurt... but because the cabsxare starting to install dashcams pointed at the interior (partly due to corruption) and the cabbie threatened to take the recording to the newspaper they had to actually do their job. Until the cabbie spoke up they intended to just let him go...again.
    "It's a joke not a dick. No need to take it so hard."

“Here’s $10, go to Walmart and buy a houseplant. Carry it around to make up for all of that oxygen you waste.”

Wow. I wonder what the homeless person was doing with all this stolen stuff. They must be crazy (or else secretly housed) because a homeless person has no use for most of this stuff. Even if they took it, they couldn't keep it. There's nowhere to store it safely.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

He was probably recruited by one of those organized theft rings.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

With some mental illnesses, it doesn't matter that they have a use for it.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
          Wow. I wonder what the homeless person was doing with all this stolen stuff. They must be crazy (or else secretly housed) because a homeless person has no use for most of this stuff. Even if they took it, they couldn't keep it. There's nowhere to store it safely.
          Depends on what they're stealing. I see homeless people in my city with one (or two) shopping buggies piled high with their stuff.

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
          With some mental illnesses, it doesn't matter that they have a use for it.
          There's that too.

Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
          ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
          X