Bag-sanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bag-sanity

This started off as a Brain Burp, but veered into SC territory quickly.

Our SCOs have a "Use Own bag" button, which is supposed to tare the empty bag after prompting the customer to place it on the bagging scale. Trouble is, the bag scales have been so abused--kids/adults sitting on them, customers cramming a full cart of groceries onto 3 square feet of space--that the own-bag function doesn't work. If a customer places their bag(s) on the platform and presses the appropriate button (1, 2, or 3 bags) the system freezes for a good 15 seconds while it tries to get a tare weight.

A guy comes up to SCO and proceeds to plop his huge semi-frame backpack on the platform and mashes "Use My Own Bag". That empty backpack weighed about 5 pounds...way out of range for what the SCO considers to be an empty shopping bag. So of course it freezes, and calls me over because it detected an unscanned item in the bagging area.

Me: "Hi sir, that backpack is too heavy for the scale. You need to set it on the floor and put items in after you've put them on the bagging platform. That 'use my own bag' thing doesn't work."
    SC: "I want to use my own bag!" *mashes button again, system freezes again* "Make it work!"
    When it freezes up, there is literally nothing I can do (short of a hard system reboot) and you have to wait for it to unfreeze.
    Me: "The 'own bag' option does not work. It really doesn't matter, you can put your items in your own bag after you pay but that bag has to go on the floor because it's too heavy for the scale."
    SC goes through the motions a third time. "But I need to tell it I have my own bag! This isn't working!"
    Me: "No, it's not. That's what I've been telling you. There is nothing I can do to make it work."
    SC: "Get me a manager!"
    M has been watching this, and comes over.
    SC: "Aha, a manager. This isn't working!"
    M: "Yes, I'm a manager. But Dreamstalker is also a manager, and the manager of this area right now as well as our expert on these systems. If she is telling you something doesn't work, it doesn't work."
    SC: "But you can fix it!"
    M: "The only fix is to do what she has been telling you to do." SC isn't happy at being told by a man that a woman has the final say in this particular instance.
    SC: "But I don't want to be charged for bags!"
    M: "You won't be. To be charged for bags you have to tell the system that you are using paper bags. Just type in zero when it asks you how many of our bags you used."
    SC: "But I'm not using paper bags! It wants me to type in a number!"
    Customer in the next lane over: "Zero is a number."
    SC can't say anything to myself or M about that; now the other 3 lanes are watching him (and I think one is actually laughing at him). He wisely shuts his yap and does what I originally told him...the actual transaction took about 30 seconds. SC muttered something about "wasting time" as he left...the only one wasting your time was you, dude.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

How do people like this even remember to breathe??
    I use self-checkouts a LOT and I almost never buy a bag ... when it asks "How many bags" I hit the zero button. Why is that such a hard concept for some people to grasp?
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I don't know how a lot of our customers remember to breathe...or are even capable of taking a breath without arguing about it. I'm stealing that "zero is a number" line (granted the system is dumb for asking "how many paper bags"; it should first prompt "did you use any store bags")

If I have a bag, it's usually on my arm anyway...so I put items in the bagging area but wait until I pay like a normal person and then transfer everything.

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
        SC: "But I don't want to be charged for bags!"
        M: "You won't be. To be charged for bags you have to tell the system that you are using paper bags. Just type in zero when it asks you how many of our bags you used."
        SC: "But I'm not using paper bags! It wants me to type in a number!"
        Customer in the next lane over: "Zero is a number."
        Love the audience input there! I'd have trouble resisting such a comment myself if I'd had to listen to that level of willful idiocy.

"Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

We do have our contingent of assholes, but also a fair number of customers who see the jerks for exactly what they are.

I did have a couple customers use the "own bag" button correctly with no intervention on my part--the trick is to hit the number-of-bags button and then put your bag on the platform (there are always store bags on there anyway, so it needs to sense a different weight once you hit that button).

Comment

Working...
          X