Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you really don't want subsitutions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you really don't want subsitutions...

...then select "No Sub" when placing the order (it's too early for this shit, episode 3,942).

This is a regular pickup customer; typically things go smoothly. I've figured out that if the husband places the order things are fine. But if the wife places the order, is with him or picks it up herself something's always wrong. So they ordered for the first pickup slot...most of the order was produce and bakery items which can be a problem that early. Produce doesn't get midweek deliveries anymore, and bakery usually doesn't have anyone in the department until 8:30 so what's out is what's available. The subs were fairly straightforward; two smaller packages of rainbow peppers for the large pack, large english cucumber for a package of mini ones, different brand of multigrain bread, two bags of Flavor A chips for one bag each of A and B.

I went over the subs with the customer carside, and he seemed fine with them but said "my wife will make sure". Uh oh. He didn't say no to any of them; the only one I wasn't 100% certain on was the bread but that would be easy enough to fix (refund if they call back).

45 minutes later a call comes through...it's the wife, and she is pissed. I don't even get a chance to finish "Hello, this is the pickup department". Started off about how "the whole order was wrong, I didn't get what I ordered!" (cue explaining the sub policy while I'm getting yelled at by an SC on one side and the CDH on the other side about...something) and the bags weren't packed properly and broke...those bags were packed fine and were not overpacked. Anywho, the eggs broke (how can that happen naturally if the eggs were bagged with only the peppers which weigh nothing?)...and she had ordered white eggs. Um, I have the order right here and you ordered brown eggs. You always order brown eggs and I know what I picked. She ordered six rainbow peppers and got six rainbow peppers--as long as you get the correct quantity and the quality's good, packaging type is not a valid complaint. I can't even get her to tell me exactly what she wants refunded, the only thing she'll say is "Can I get a credit for the whole order?" (no, you're not getting a $60 order for free because something). Finally I get her off the phone...five minutes later. Luckily she didn't ask for my name. It would have taken all of thirty seconds if she hadn't gotten shirty about it "Hi, we got home and a bag broke and our eggs got smashed." "Oh no! I'll refund you, sorry about that." ...but that would be easy.

I refunded the eggs, and then gave an additional $5 credit because I didn't want her to call back for more yelling. In case anything else happened I did reprint the invoice and make notes on what the issues (real or perceived) were and the remedies, and well as give ASM a heads up about what went down.

Next time I'm a bit tempted to be petty AF and put two items in each bag to make absolutely sure they're not heavy, but there would probably be a complaint about that too.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Just be glad she didn't get any of these substitutions

...no strawberry laces,why not try some real shoelaces instead. Or instead of bin bags,a tiny little sandwich bag...

The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I once ordered sugar-free pudding mix, got unflavored gelatin. There's a reason I now disallow substitutions from Walmart. Instacart seems to have a saner handle on subs, including the ability to specify an alternate item when placing the order.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

A customer in another district actually did get sandwich bags subbed in place of small bin bags.

We still don't have the ability for customers to accept/deny certain substitutions...I'm the only shopper in my store that actually pays attention to what I'm subbing (I actually have a few "no sub" customers that will allow subs if they know I'll be working when they plan to order).

Unfortunately, one of the metrics all the facilitators get hit over the head with weekly is the sub rate which leads some shoppers to sub any damn thing as long as it looks right (if I can't find a suitable sub--especially if I know there's allergen concerns--I won't sub at all). That also doesn't take "customer doesn't want any subs ever" into account, and nobody in corporate can understand why anyone would want no subs (brand loyalty, only want a specific item for bonus points, fed up with shoppers being stupid).

Comment

A local chain grocery lets you choose specific items as subs -- either by pulling from a list or by typing it into a text box with some really strict validation (it accepts letters, numbers, and spaces ONLY, not even punctuation). The system is supposed to send you a text automatically if they pull a sub; it has not been doing so for months -- but that's on the company, not the nice folks pulling the orders. Even worse, I've gotten subs on things where I actually did choose the "no sub/delete if unavailable" option -- and that IS on the worker. It's just frustrating.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I have 3 major retailers locally I can choose from. One's allied with Amazon, and will engage in an email session to try and find a suitable substitute which is nice, but their prices are a lot more than the other stores so I tend to avoid them unless they have a specific deal I'm after.

The other two, the one I prefer just has a "sub/don't sub" option, and the one I would rather never use has a text box for entering possible sub choices. Luckily whatever I don't want to accept gets taken back by the driver so I'm ever on the hook for anything too weird, but when something's been subbed with an item I can't use, or hasn't been subbed at all and it would have been a major portion of my week's supplies, it can be very frustrating to deal with. I don't fault the drivers, and I try to be open-minded about what's happened in-store 'cause I've not been in one in years now and I know generally we're dealing with some ridiculous supply chain snafus thanks to our govt.'s blind devotion to stupidity...
            This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
            I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I'm convinced that some of our supply chain related issues aren't organic anymore. The website inventory pulls from the central system which is why I'll see an item that we haven't had for years (only I would remember a product that was last in the building in 2013), or it's a new item that we don't actually have yet (according to inventory software the store has been invoiced for X therefore it must be on the shelf). What is supposed to happen is that if you're ordering in a specific store, you'll only see items that that store actually has in stock.

Comment

I know that some stores stop getting some items while others keep getting it. My local store is never told they are taken off the list until they have a customer ask about it. Suddenly they will get it again for awhile. They are even things that show in the weekly sales flyers.

Comment

If an item is out-of-stocked on our end by a shopper three consecutive times, it's supposed to be removed from the site for our store until our grocery manager can verify it's being ordered and received (three guesses whether that actually happens...yeah the website/app is a mess).

We've also had instances of placing orders but not actually getting the product; we can't figure out if it's just not leaving the warehouse (warehouse doesn't have X but isn't actually notifying us until a receiver sees the paperwork) or magically getting "reallocated" to larger/higher-volume stores. The latter has actually happened over the holidays; unfortunately there's no easy way to prove it.

Comment

Grocery shopping is too important not to just go to the store and shop it yourself. Anyone who is not you will get it wrong somehow.
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I had an Instacart customer come in to pick up their order yesterday, and proceed to yell at me about Insta's sub process (they had requested a couple items that we don't even carry so I subbed the suggestion that Insta gave which was perfectly acceptable; and one item was just wrong on Insta's end* and there was no way to override it)

* The actual item was about a pound of raw chicken tenders that are sold by weight...the photo showed the packaged tenders, description was "frozen chicken tenders". The only frozen tenders we have are breaded and sold in a fixed-weight bag, way more than a pound. None of the frozen bagged tenders would scan, the only product that the algorithm would accept was the raw tenders.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                        Grocery shopping is too important not to just go to the store and shop it yourself. Anyone who is not you will get it wrong somehow.
                        That's how I feel as well. However, I did try it once during COVID, when certain items were hard to find. I went online and was able to order toilet paper, cat litter, hand sanitizer, and probably a few things that I'm forgetting. Unfortunately, everything but the cat litter ended up getting cancelled.

Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I used a curb-side pickup last year while I had the flu. First off, no substitutions. Canned and boxed goods were no problem. For the fresh veg, mixed reviews. Disappointed that I couldn't do fresh deli. I know why I can't, but still disappointed.

I got no problem doing it again.
                          Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                          Save the Ales!
                          Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I do the majority of my grocery shopping via Instacart or Walmart's delivery service. 98+% of the time, all goes smoothly, and the nice driver makes some money for saving me time and hassle. There are occasional hiccups, since nothing involving humans can be perfect (humans being by definition imperfect). About the only thing grocery-wise I insist on shopping for in person is fresh produce, since I'm not sure I trust someone who doesn't know my preferences to make selections there.

It's also quite helpful to someone with arthritis in spine and hips to have some younger, stronger person haul heavy stuff to my door for me.

Oddity: on some of my heavier, bulkier orders, the driver was a tiny woman, making me feel a bit guilty for inflicting that on her. Then there was the time I ordered feminine hygiene needs. Driver was a guy young enough that I could have been his mother. Yes, I know, the modern young man knows of such things prior to reaching adulthood, but I was still a little less than comfortable (my neurosis, I didn't comment to him).
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                              Anyone who is not you will get it wrong somehow.
                              Oh, so just like when I go shopping, you mean...
                              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
                              X