Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I know I was late, but I'm not going to be on time next time either!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know I was late, but I'm not going to be on time next time either!

So I now work customer service for a small-ish airline. I'm sure many of you can imagine the fun that has been for the last two years. Will start sharing my doozy calls with you.

Caller: I missed my flight. I tried to call half an hour before my flight to let you know I wouldn't make it, but the hold time was OVER FIFTEEN MINUTES.
    Me: Well, you would have had to call us at least an hour prior to departure, unfortunately, your ticket is forfeit.
    Caller: So you're not going to put me on the next one?
    Me: There aren't any more flights this evening, so we wouldn't be able to do that.

Explanation: If there had been another flight that night, as long as the caller bought the ticket directly from us (and not from a 3rd party vendor), we'd have put him on the next flight, but that only works on same-day travel, we can't just plop him on a flight the next day. Now if it's OUR FAULT he missed the flight, then yes, absolutely, but not when it's passenger error.

Caller: So what are you going to do for me?
    Me: Do for you? I can quote you a new ticket for tomorrow, but that's about the extent of it.
    Caller: WHAT? You expect me to PAY???
    Me: Well, you did forfeit the ticket when you didn't arrive at the airport on time.
    Caller: Fine. Quote me the ticket.

Spent 5 more minutes going through flight options, he picked one, purchased the ticket.

Me: So you need to be at the airport 2 hours ahead of departure time for check-in. (international flight)
    Caller: *scoffs* That flight is at 6:50am. I will NOT be at the airport at 4:50 in the morning.
    Me: 5am should be fine.
    Caller: Yeah, not happening.
    Me: Well sir, you will be, or you'll run the very real risk of missing your next flight as well. Do you really want to have to purchase a third ticket?
    Caller: Um... I guess... *click*

Honestly. You missed your first flight, had to pay HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS for a replacement ticket, and you STILL think you can dictate when you have to be there for check-in? I offered him later flights. Nope, he wanted the earliest one. Well then Skippy, you're gonna HAVE to show up early. The mind boggles.
    GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

I am shocked, SHOCKED I TELL YOU, that you would not hold the plane on the tarmac (or bring it back) just to make sure Mr. I'll-Get-There-When-I-Get-There can be sure to get on his flight.
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Comment

This is why I schedule doctor appointments for the afternoon instead of wanting the earliest option. I know I won't be awake. What's his excuse?
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I know people that think that they will hold a plane for them if they are late. They don't understand that the plane has a time slot they must be ready to take off in or they could have to pay fines to the airport. One mad passenger isn't going to get them to wait. There are exceptions to this, but the airline doesn't care if you miss your flight if it's going to cost them money.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
          This is why I schedule doctor appointments for the afternoon instead of wanting the earliest option. I know I won't be awake. What's his excuse?
          I do the complete opposite; I am a morning person – not a day person. Afternoons are naptime for me.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
            I know people that think that they will hold a plane for them if they are late. They don't understand that the plane has a time slot they must be ready to take off in or they could have to pay fines to the airport. One mad passenger isn't going to get them to wait. There are exceptions to this, but the airline doesn't care if you miss your flight if it's going to cost them money.
            to the tune of $10K That's how much it costs to exceed your gate time where we fly. It's insane how many people show up 10-15 minutes before the flight and think they should have no trouble boarding. My friend, that isn't even enough time to get TO the security gate in most of our airports, let alone THROUGH it.
            GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              I do the complete opposite; I am a morning person – not a day person. Afternoons are naptime for me.
              Neither the military nor school could convince me getting up at the asscrack of dawn is a good idea.

Quoth tollbaby View Post

to the tune of $10K That's how much it costs to exceed your gate time where we fly. It's insane how many people show up 10-15 minutes before the flight and think they should have no trouble boarding. My friend, that isn't even enough time to get TO the security gate in most of our airports, let alone THROUGH it.
              I'm beginning to understand why planes are so expensive where I live compared to other places. Lot of entitled assholes where i live beacuse half the population in my city is too rich to care and the other is a step away from being homeless...guess which of those flies and which just takes the bus. I always show up two hrs early to flights and book a day between layovers if I can. That way, not only am I not going to miss my connection but I can do a little exploration while I'm there...I can sleep on the plane. And since I sleep like the dead (even the fire alarm blaring outside my room wont wake me if i actually manage to get some sleep. That would be my military upbringing at work) if something goes wrong I'll probably sleep right through it so thats a bonus.

"It's a joke not a dick. No need to take it so hard."

“Here’s $10, go to Walmart and buy a houseplant. Carry it around to make up for all of that oxygen you waste.”

Comment

Quoth Arcus View Post
                Not just airlines, do a search of PIER RUNNERS on YouTube. You'll find quite a few who think a cruise ship will wait for them, no matter what. In reality, they have a similar situation with the local port authorities: dock and leave during the allotted time or pay a 4-6 figure penalty.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  Not just airlines, do a search of PIER RUNNERS on YouTube. You'll find quite a few who think a cruise ship will wait for them, no matter what. In reality, they have a similar situation with the local port authorities: dock and leave during the allotted time or pay a 4-6 figure penalty.
                  Not only that, leave on time or miss the tide. (Maybe not a big problem these days.)
                  "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

With the size, and especially the depth, of those bigger ships, it most definitely is a problem. Not to mention every little bit of fuel saved is money in the bank when your gas figure is calculated in gallons per mile.
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
                      Neither the military nor school could convince me getting up at the asscrack of dawn is a good idea.
                      Getting up != Waking up ^_^

That, and I don't do asscrack get ups; college was many years ago. I wait for the sun to at least get its ass fully over the horizon.

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        ... I wait for the sun to at least get its ass fully over the horizon.
                        You'd love my house. There's a big ass mountain to the east 9800'+ and we're at 5000... "Sunrise" about 2-3 hours after it should be.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post

I'm a purebred night person, but I have enough self-discipline to get out of bed and get to work on time. However, I don't promise to be awake once I'm there.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                            You'd love my house. There's a big ass mountain to the east 9800'+ and we're at 5000... "Sunrise" about 2-3 hours after it should be.
                            Just checked. Sun on the lawn ~9:30AM MDT. Sunrise today for this latitude & longitude: 7:21.
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

dale - Noice ^_^
                              Quoth Sparklyturtle View Post
                              However, I don't promise to be awake once I'm there.
                              "Up/out of bed" and "Awake" are not the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X