Just use the kiosk, pal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just use the kiosk, pal.

We had to close the lottery part of the service desk down at 4PM today, because the lottery-trained desk person left at 4. Most of our customers are fine with hearing that lottery is closed, except this guy...I recognize him, he happens to be one of our grade-A assholes.

Upon seeing that the lottery was closed, he demanded a manager, and S's relief on the desk dutifully paged M (assistant manager; he's been at this store for just under 3 years and is as jaded as I am). SC starts gesticulating and shouting at me as I book it upstairs to clock out. M comes down, but not to cater to SC; an order just dropped and he has to start shopping it.

SC: "I want to know why the lottery desk is closed! You have a service to provide! This should be 24/7!"
    M: "Sir, we have to close the lottery at the service desk as there is currently nobody here trained on it."
    SC: "Then train someone! I know we're past Covid but you have an essential service to provide!" (what the flying frack does Covid have to do with this?)
    M: "Services providing groceries are essential but lottery is not. We do not have anyone in the building who can do it. Use the kiosk next to the desk, that's what it's for."
    I've clocked out, am in my street clothes and at the customer end of a vacant register organizing my stuff. SC sees me.
    SC: "What about that woman? Can't you get her to help me?"
    M: "That associate is off the clock, and even if that wasn't the case they are a completely different department. There. Is. Nobody. Here, The associate at the desk can show you how to use the kiosk."
    SC: "If she knows how to use the kiosk then she knows how to do lottery!"
    M: "No she does not."
    SC: "But the kiosk is gonna scan my license into some database!" (aha...) "You have to train someone to get me my lottery!" (in 15 seconds....mmmkayNO)
    M: "No, I don't. That's not how this works."
    SC: "What's your name? What's her name?" (SC is pointing at me)
    M: "My name is M, I am the manager and I am telling you that the lottery desk is closed which it is. You don't need to know my associate's name as they have nothing to do with this."

SC sulks off, M starts shopping the order and I depart so I didn't see what SC did or didn't do next.

Lotto make people act crazy, yo.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

I can't help but wonder if people like that are born this way, or if their parents teach them to do it?

Comment

Probably some of both; the "I want it NAO" mindset can definitely be taught, but it takes a certain personality type to start with to entrench and perpetuate it. Way too many people think that any worker is below them--all the SCs who try to tell us how to do our jobs wouldn't last three seconds. I loved M's response about food being essential but not lottery (have to remember that one).

Nobody won the drawing that he was demanding numbers for anyway, so he wasted his time/money for nothing (as so many of them do).
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I have said it many times... You can't educate Stupid!

Retail would be a super job if it wasn't for the customers.
        Robert
        Peterborough Cambridgeshire

Comment

Pull out a notepad, mark a square on it, key up store radio, shout "BINGO!", and give curstomer a fancy printed coupon.
          Curstomer: "What's this for?"
          "When you get five, take them to the service desk to collect your prize."
          What's the prize? A permanent ticket to OUTSIDE!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth RobertM View Post
            I have said it many times... You can't educate Stupid!

Here, here!

Comment

Quoth RobertM View Post
              I used to say something very similar about software engineering--"Think of all the cool code we could write if we didn't have any users!"
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post

I used to say something very similar about software engineering--"Think of all the cool code we could write if we didn't have any users!"
                Careful, NP: That's how the first viruses came about.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

..."Think of all the cool code we could write if we didn't have any users!"
                  Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  Careful, NP: That's how the first viruses came about.
                  Wasn't that the intent?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Not mine, at least...
                    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Not mine, at least...
                      That's what they all say
                      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I never had an intent to spread a virus around either...and yet...
                        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                        X