Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ah yes, about this self-checkout thing ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah yes, about this self-checkout thing ....

Co-worker was telling me today about an incident while she was overseeing the self-checkouts (EIGHT machines). We have only just recently started using "Paid For" stickers. The rules for them are vague and contradictory, IMO. They are enough of a nuisance at staffed registers; they are a nightmare at self-checkouts because ONLY an employee can put them on any item(s). You CANNOT hand a sticker over to a customer to put on, for example, a case of pop.

So this guy is buying two ready-to-go meals -- small ones, admittedly. CW starts walking over to put at least one sticker on at least one of the meals, and the guy speeds up his process and is already stepping (quickly) away from the machines before she has actually reached him.

However, she'd come close enough to see that he had scanned each of the meals through with the code used for ... bananas.

So he got two ready-to-go meals for less than $1.

What did she do? Same thing I'd have done -- nothing. Corporate created this mess; corporate can deal with the losses it's producing. (Also, we are minimum-wage, few-if-any-benefits employees. We are NOT about to try to tackle a customer for shoplifting.)
    Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
    ~ Mr Hero

Why should you?
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

None of us get paid enough to act as LP. We're not allowed to confront shoplifters in any way--only management can do that.

If a self-checkout machine calls me over (weight is off, item not bagged, etc) then and only then will I intervene and rescan an item if needed. I won't even void erroneous scans unless an SC calls it to my attention--if they're too oblivious to not realize that they scanned something twice or entered a PLU that's twice the price of what they actually have that's Not My Problem.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
      X