The F-bomb that wasn't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The F-bomb that wasn't

Hey all. Didn't think I'd have a story any time soon, but here we are. This just happened this morning and I’m still kinda steamed about it.

As y’all may remember, I drive for a living. Specifically, ever since the world went extra crazy, I’ve exclusively driven things, instead of people. The main app I use is Wally World’s, which serves me well enough (although I also use a few others).

This morning, I got a phone call from someone at the company. A customer left a bad review stating “I always leave a good tip but…” (a lie this time; the app shows the tip before we accept and this one was zero tip) and goes on to tell a story about sending an order to a friend who told them that the driver (i.e. yours truly) yelled “F*** YOU!” out the window at them. Fortunately, the guy on the phone was willing and able to tell me who, so I could check my log and see what happened.

So, my rebuttal:
    1. It’s cold. Winter-up-in-the-mountains cold. I’m a desert kid. I do not roll my window down in this weather.
    2. I have the self-control to not yell at people that aren’t, y’know, actively attacking me. Especially not customers.
    3. The customer didn’t open their door before I was all the way back in my car with the door closed.
    4. It’s an apartment complex. If there was someone yelling – I didn’t hear anything, but if – it could have been any of the dozens of other people that live there.
    5. It was after 9PM. It was SILENT at this complex. If someone was yelling, I would have heard it.

So, I don’t know what the customer was trying to accomplish here. I mean, sure, let’s give the recipient the benefit of the doubt and say they heard someone yelling something unsavory. That doesn’t make it me. You don’t have to leave a tip, that’s fine. You can even leave a bad review, whatever. But for Gord’s sake, make sure you have your info correct! Also, enjoy my no-fly list. I’m never going there again.

Oh, and as an added bonus, I got tapped for jury duty… the week leading up to Christmas. Sigh.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Bring your phone charger or other reading material to jury duty. Chances are you'll be spinning your wheels for most of the day. Can you tell what kind of cases you'll see from the courtroom address.
    Here is Chicagoland, the felony, civil and misdemeanor courts are in three different buildings.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
      Bring your phone charger or other reading material to jury duty.
      When I last had jury duty we were not allowed to bring our phones into the courthouse. That may have changed since then, and may vary depending on the jurisdiction.

"I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

You can call the courthouse and see what the phone rules are. If no phones are allowed, see if you can bring a book.

Comment

Bring your phone charger or other reading material to jury duty. Chances are you'll be spinning your wheels for most of the day.
          Joy.

Can you tell what kind [of cases you'll see from the courtroom address.
          Felony stalking and assault. I'm already assigned to a case. The county court is almost an hour and a half from my house.
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

When I last had jury duty we were not allowed to bring our phones into the courthouse. That may have changed since then, and may vary depending on the jurisdiction.
            Last time I actually had to report, everyone had their phones/tablets/laptops and/or books/magazines. We were simply warned about silencing or turning off phones when in an actual courtroom, IIRC. Courthouse had adequate WiFi.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Deserted View Post
              Felony stalking and assault. I'm already assigned to a case. The county court is almost an hour and a half from my house.
              Any possibility of a book deal?
              If so, scan your notes as many jurisdictions will have you surrender then each day and destroy them when you reach a verdict.....assuming they don't get a plea deal before that.

I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Any possibility of a book deal?
                If so, scan your notes as many jurisdictions will have you surrender then each day and destroy them when you reach a verdict.....assuming they don't get a plea deal before that.
                Not a chance. The accused is a nobody, the victim is a nobody, and the location is BFE.

But yeah, I'm hoping he pleas put out. I really don't want to do this.
                Last edited by Deserted; 11-28-2023, 09:59 PM.

Comment

...and a minor update to the jury duty thing, because I guess y'all are more interested in that. I got excused from serving yesterday, probably because I'm technically a former victim of assault. I'm still in the pool for upcoming cases though.

Comment

So the company believed you, right?

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                      So the company believed you, right?
                      Maybe not the company, but apparently the judge.

Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...
                      X