No announcement yet.

Your Checks are Older than my Divorce!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Checks are Older than my Divorce!

One of the churches that has accounts with the bank where I work is being a PITA.

The bank changed hands 14 years ago. With that came a new routing number for checks. We thought everyone had changed over by now, but not this church. Our bookkeeping department decided it was enough of an issue that we would offer them a set of free checks if they would bring in the old ones for us to shred.

They did. We did. It should have been fine.

But today, the church secretary came in complaining that our checks don’t work with their software. There’s something pre-printed where they print the name of the church. I suspect user error, but I see what I can do.

We don’t have another style of check that would work, and since we have them to them free, we’re not going to do anything about it. That’s when this woman becomes an SC.

SC: Are you going to reimburse us the $300 if we order checks elsewhere?
    Me: No. (Also, why are they that expensive?)
    SC: It wasn’t our fault that the routing number changed!
    Me: You must have ordered checks sometime in the past 14 years, right?
    SC: No, we had just bought 500 checks, and we’ve been using those same ones since!
    Me; You only use 3 checks a month? (I calculated it later and found that my estimate was right. If they hadn’t bought new checks in 14 years, they had to have used under 3 a month to have any left now.)
    SC: No, we use more than that. (Then how do you have any left?) Also, the checks aren’t perforated! We have to cut the checks up.
    Me: I don’t know what to tell you.

Eventually, she storms out. Her parting shot is to ask if we are going to provide the with a perforating machine. I tell her to use a sewing machine.

We looked at our sample checks after. They’re perforated. She had a photocopy of one of the checks so she could show me how their software was printing over the top of whatever was pre-printed on the checks. I could clearly see the line where it was perforated on the copy.

She went on about the bank reimbursing the church for new checks because it wasn’t their fault they had the wrong routing number. And we forced them to bring in the old checks to be shredded. We didn’t back down.

It’s not like the church is short on cash or anything. They have almost $30k in this account and over $100k in another.

After she left, I started listing things that her checks were older than. Her checks are older than my stepson. Her checks are older than my divorce! Etc.

I just looked at the images of the checks that have cleared their account. They have the old routing number, yes, but they have the new bank name. Just another piece of evidence that she’s lying about not ordering checks since before the bank changed hands.
    Last edited by Ghel; 03-12-2024, 09:25 PM.
    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
    -Mira Furlan

You have my sympathy.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I write checks to the tax preparer, the furnace guy, the car machanic, so not even three a month. My bank has changed hands twice since I first opened the account. At least twice.

I don't know how checks can cost so much, either.

Comment

I also only write a few checks a year. Far fewer than this church. Property taxes, tabs for my car. That’s about it. When I moved 6 years ago, I ordered new checks even though I had some left with the old address. If the bank had a new routing number, I would expect to have to order new checks even if I had a bunch left. It shouldn’t be any different for this church.
        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
        X