Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You get the voice of authority with a few colorful metaphors for that level of suck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You get the voice of authority with a few colorful metaphors for that level of suck.

So a few days ago at the range, I get a couple who want to shoot a few things starting with pistols. We start every session with our 3 basic shooting rules. Verbatim-
    1- Guns remain pointed dowe range at ALL times! Not at the ground, not at the roof, not at the walls and NOT AT ME, or you.
    2- Finger straight and OFF The TRIGGER, till ready to shoot, I will show you how to hold it, and go over how to hold it, ait it, the trigger and the sights and have you dry fire (no ammo) then you will hand it back and I will load it and hand it back, when this is going on KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER! You shoot when my hand is there bad things will happen to my fingers..
    3- No rapid fire, 2-3 seconds min between shots for control, unless you really need to and we have the machine guns you can shoot.
    -->any questions on these rules, do you understand? <--
    I get everyone to give a verbal yes to weed out the non engilsh speaker who did not make it clear prior to this.

Guy says he's shot before and wants to shoot 2 specific guns., ok no prob at least I don't have to make up your mind.
    We go to it. I go over the basics because we have to on the first one regardless if they have a lot of a little experience. I can quickly tell if they really have a clue or think they do, if they I do the short version, if not they get the full 101. I start the short and quickly see he is in fact is clueless-clue the long 101. 12, 21, 45, I can teach anyone how to hold a pistol in under a min. This took 3.
    It always leads off are you right or left-handed. He says right.

WE get to me loading the pistol and go to hand it to him, he grabs it with his left...wait. you said right, you dry fired right..oh you also go left and now what it to do it that way. I can tell he's a doozy.

OK sure I try to unfuck he lousy grip as he keeps trying to put his finger on the trigger. We hold it over the top so our fingers block them, but it's harder when they go left. I give reminders and finally take it, clear it and go back over 101L. OK ???? reload it and he holds it ok then shifts his hands and shoots. low and close it too low, remind him about hand placement and sights, goes high..cause he did not listen. Again I remind him how to do it and point at the sights with my pen on the 3rd meh shot. He lines up very poorly again that he might damage something, so I say stop let me have the pistol (so I can demo again what to do) Soon I get done with the L in pistol I am now LOOKING DOWN THE BARREL of the pistol and finger ON the trigger!
    We keep a hand up hovering over the gun but out of line of sight so we can slam it down on the pistol twisting it back downrange in a sweeping motion that my finger force his off and taking it from him in one motion. When adding
    DONT POINT THE FUCKING GUN AT MY HEAD AND KEEP YOU FINGER OFF THE FUCKING TRIGGER!

We didn't have any other shooters on the range so the boss RSO and 4-5 other instructors now gather behind me to see WTF is going on that I would yell like that.
    Though decades of military I have one really serious voice that not loud or profane but you will listen, With it I go over his transgressions and how if he so much of thinks about doing something that unsafe he;s done and the 3 rules again... He mutters a sorry.
    I start over he fires 3 more no issues and does meh.

His GF does fine and outshoot him...WHY, come on ladys you know why....you listen.
    They shoot one other gun and are done.
    We give a parting goodbye that we give a link to our google review page, wash hands, you were a good safe cust, ask for me again....and I as a settle plug for a tip. I Hope I gave you some good shooting tips...I'd appreciate the same.

I'm like here's a card with a QR code to our reviews and there's the door over there to leave the range, bye.

Yea he stiffed me. I was glad to still have my head. (he was shooting a .45 I would be done) RSO said I should have called him over and he would have explained the facts of life to him or removed him. I said yea he made one more goof I would have. But unlike most places, Cust does something that dumb we can say what we want to to fix it most of us are vets and they know we well react like this. Another month and a half and I can start carrying a gun at work.

Thankfully the rest of the week I had safe and sane people who tipped well.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Quoth Rosco the Iroc View Post
    ... have you dry fire (no ammo) ...
    A technical question, if you don't mind.

I have heard one is not supposed to dry fire guns, or maybe certain guns. Is that false?
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

They believe they got all their necessary gun training from Half Fast & Furbyous and wannabe all Hurty Dairy on the world.
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

A technical question, if you don't mind.

I have heard one is not supposed to dry fire guns, or maybe certain guns. Is that false?
        its not great to dry fire guns chambered in rim fire calibers like .22lr, because the firing pin can dent the breach face or possibly mushroom out the pin. But dry firing most modern centerfire firearms ie. 9mm or .45 is fine.
        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post

its not great to dry fire guns chambered in rim fire calibers like .22lr, because the firing pin can dent the breach face or possibly mushroom out the pin. But dry firing most modern centerfire firearms ie. 9mm or .45 is fine.
          Thank you for that explanation.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post

That is correct. Dry fire is a great way to practice your trigger control. Most modern .22 it's also ok.
            AkaiKitsune
            Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Working...
            X