This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rude comments on appearance

over the past few weeks, i've been receiving more and more (maybe well intended, or maybe not, i really don't care, choose something ELSE to start a conversation with me, please) comments on how 'tired' i look. this can be contributed to dark circles around my eyes (genetic, and not a damned thing i can do about it, thanks for reminding me about one of MANY things i don't like about my appearance, asshat.), which no amount of concealer hides, apparently, because it seems it's visible, and therefore, fair game for those who cannot engage their brain before their mouth activates.

i'm to the point where i'm going to stop biting my tongue and start hurting THEIR feelings over this type of rudeness. not an ideal solution, so i think after the holidays are over, i will ask for some vacation time to get away from the store and reconsider a few things, because i've had it with this type of rudeness and insensitivity from the greater population.

i almost responded to one of these 'geniuses' with the below, but managed to clamp my jaw shut in time:

'tired? no; tired of idiots, YES.'

sorry for the bitchy rant, but i've had more than enough of this type of crap.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

It's nice to know that someone else has the dark circles; I didn't realize it could be hereditary. No one ever says anything to me about it, but I notice it, and I think it shows up more with makeup. Even when I get enough sleep, they don't go away. Sometimes it looks like I got smacked in the eye and the bruise is almost gone...
    I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Something I've noticed is that joe public feel it is their right to ask personal questions about your appearance, whatever the issue, in this case tired, or we've had people asked about plasters and bandages on peoples faces, I get asked personal questions a lot, I don't quite get where people think they can ask these questions.
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Don't worry you are not alone I also have those bags under my eyes, always have. I don't like them and I think I look funny when I smile in pictures as they get all bunched up. But I have learnt to live with them, but it is amazing how much people like to point it out. GRR
        Am I sad because I am looking forward to the day when the people I will be dealing with will no longer be able to talk back?

Comment

And when people do that it's always something that's really obvious... As if the OP isn't aware that she has dark circles under her eyes... I almost always have at least two band-aids on my hands, as well as scratches on my arms. Between having a bitey parrot and extremely dry skin that has a tendency to crack (especially in the winter) I prefer to keep my self bandaged up in lieu of bleeding on people's things. I get a couple comments per shift, usually, and the last time it happened I told the customer "oh, I just get into a lot of fights" (which I made sure to clarify was a joke).

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
            It's nice to know that someone else has the dark circles; I didn't realize it could be hereditary. No one ever says anything to me about it, but I notice it, and I think it shows up more with makeup. Even when I get enough sleep, they don't go away. Sometimes it looks like I got smacked in the eye and the bruise is almost gone...
            It is genetic...part of it is the fact that the skin there is very thin, so the blood vessels underneath are more visible.

Read a more technical explanation here.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I have permanant dark circles as well.
              Try vitamin K cream.

Comment

Quoth Listerfiend View Post
                Between having a bitey parrot and extremely dry skin that has a tendency to crack (especially in the winter)
                You might want to try Aveeno Lotion. It's fragrance free and moisurizes for 24 hours (put it on right before bed and let it work all night long). I've used it for my insanely dry skin, and it works wonders!
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  You might want to try Aveeno Lotion. It's fragrance free and moisurizes for 24 hours (put it on right before bed and let it work all night long). I've used it for my insanely dry skin, and it works wonders!
                  Further to this, it's better to use the stuff in the pots rather than in the pumps as it has a higher petroleum jelly component and moiturizes better/longer (in my opinion).

Comment

I used to get a lot of shit from people about my makeup.

Nowadays everyone comments on my pimples. They are awful. Guess what? They are stress related. I am making an appointment with a dermatologist this week because I am on stress-induced acne medication and they won't stop. Especially Wednesday night, when my one coworker drove me up the wall, I went home and saw 4 fresh bumps forming. Now they are full blown pimples.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Lanolin with cotton gloves at night is the best for dry skin.

For the dark circles, I have them, too, also genetic, but allergies will make them worse. Also, they get worse if I am not eating right. Use a liquid concealer with a yellow base. Dot it on and then smooth lightly with a soft eye brush. Blend light foundation over it in the same way.

If the circles are looking red, use a green-based concealer.
                      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                      HR believes the first person in the door
                      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                      Document everything
                      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                        Nowadays everyone comments on my pimples. They are awful.
                        Why in God's name would someone go up to a complete stranger and start making comments about their zits? People continue to surprise me.

Comment

A cousin of mine, has bags under his eyes. He has always had them. No one that I know off, says anything.

I also have a couple of stress related pimples. And had a few people talk about it.
                          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Had a customer today ask me, point blank, "Are you really that tall, or are you standing on a box?"
                            At which point I huffed and stepped out from behind my counter just for high royal majesty, who said, "You must be that tall."
                            No shit?
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

If it's just appearance in general, I get a lot of comments about my hair length, right now it's just meeting my collar. Even in today's times I get some comments about my hair and given the area I live in they just seem to detest long hair.
                              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Working...
                              X