Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your neighborhood is nothing but a bunch of troublemakers!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your neighborhood is nothing but a bunch of troublemakers!

There's this wings restaurant I visit quite often. A while back, I went in there and I saw this note on their bulletin board that read, "No more deliveries to Atlantis." This is a neighborhood for those who make lots and lots of money, but find ways to cut corners. Right after I saw this sign, I overheard a phone call that said, "Well, where do you live, sir? Oh, I'm sorry, but we do not make deliveries to Atlantis anymore." From that point on, I could hear the lady having an all-out argument with whoever she was speaking to. After she finished, I asked her, "Why do you have this policy against Atlantis residents?" and her answer was, "Because we get nothing but trouble and problems from them, from their not having enough hot sauce to we charged them too much for their food." She went on to say that they once did a tally and had some twenty or so customers who had called to do nothing but complain about their delivery, the driver, or how high they were charged, and not one in those twenty had said anything about being satisfied with their order. Several were repeat offenders, one calling eight times. The drivers even had said how they would pull up to the homes, and there would be three Cadillacs in the driveway, or two Mercedes Benzes sitting next to a brand new $100,000 RV with satelite TV, all new appliances, and HD radio.

This restaurant also had charges filed against them, but were dropped, because it does state restaurants have the right to refuse service to anyone, and if those anyones are nothing but those who cause trouble, then they have the right to turn them away. What got me though was at one time, Publix had signs against residents of Century Village retirement community, and they said, "Century Village residents are not welcome here." Many sued, and they were ordered to remove these signs. I think it was the Publix general manager who did this, being I don't think the courts can do something like that. Who knows?!

community-isim?

Ah, there's no law saying you can't refuse service to some neighborhood but there are laws (in some places) about discriminating based on age (among other things). Residents of a retirement village might be able to prove age discrimination when being refused service.

At least, that's my guess based on available information.
    I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth TryNotToBeThatOne View Post
      Ah, there's no law saying you can't refuse service to some neighborhood but there are laws (in some places) about discriminating based on age (among other things). Residents of a retirement village might be able to prove age discrimination when being refused service.

At least, that's my guess based on available information.
      Age discrimination claims, to me, are the same as those who play the race card when lodging any kind of complaint. With Publix, it was proven that the Century Village residents caused nothing but trouble, and were causing the stores to not make profits as well as lose business. But, because the community is for 55 and over, they now can drag age discrimination into the picture.

Atlantis itself is not a community for 55 and over. It is a lavish neighborhood where people of all ages live. The wings restaurant decided that because time and effort was being wasted dealing with complaints, delving out refunds, etc, it was better to drop these customers and deal with people who were always satisfied.

Comment

Does this area happen to be in Ocala, FL? It sounds very familiar. Along with Century.
        "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Oh, ick. I hate it when people use discrimination as a club to get their way. It makes it really hard for those who really do suffer discrimination.

The store where I worked had about 2-3 times the number of complaints as any other of the 300+stores in the company, despite being located in a smaller town than most. This is despite being in the top 5 net profit stores every year. Corporate pretty much disregarded most of the complaints, as being the fault of the customers, not the staff.
          I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
            Does this area happen to be in Ocala, FL? It sounds very familiar. Along with Century.
            No, this is areas of Broward and Palm Beach Counties, many of them in areas like Boca Raton or near the beaches where they reside in their million dollar condos. You have to shop at the right store, well away from these areas, to avoid these type of people.

Ocala and Century, eh? I'd love to hear those stories.

Comment

Well then, if this is not an area where only senior citizens live and there is a mix of all different ages living there, then the restaurant should be okay to refuse deliveries there.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                Well then, if this is not an area where only senior citizens live and there is a mix of all different ages living there, then the restaurant should be okay to refuse deliveries there.
                It's located in the perfect spot, where there are a variety of families, young, old, foreign, what have you. It is also well inland, away from the beaches, and not anywhere near the ritzy retirement communities. Atlantis is pretty much a large neighborhood, but not so large where it takes up half the city.

Comment

Any place that delivers has it easy, you can legally red line an area for any reason you feel is justified, since delivery service is an extra, restaurants aren't required to deliver, they choose to in order to increase business. Mind you, there are several rules on red lining an area, it has to be clearly defined, if its only in certain times, that has to be documented, and during those hours, you have to stay out of the area, no exception for certain good customers there, no driving through the area on the way to somewhere else.
                  Seph
                  Taur10
                  "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

I am fascinated by the thought of an entire neighbourhood of SCs.

I'm picturing the community potluck barbecue...

"Who made the potato salad? There's too much mayo! I demand to speak to your boss."

"I didn't bring a lawn chair, and I'm tired. Give me yours."

"Someone else is going to clean all this up, right? That's what the sanitation department is for!"

In all seriousness, if I was refused service from a restaurant because of where I live, I would be knocking at doors and yelling at my neighbours for being such wads.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post

In all seriousness, if I was refused service from a restaurant because of where I live, I would be knocking at doors and yelling at my neighbours for being such wads.
                      You have a point there. It is a shame that the innocent people in this neighborhood have to suffer because of the other asshats around them. Someone I know of who works in phone service told me that you can't condemn all Century Village residents either, because she has spoken to several who are very nice and actually fun to talk to. Unfortunately, there are not enough of these type of people to have a restaurant or grocery store want to do business with them.

I did forget to mention that this wings place will serve Atlantis customers that come into the restaurant, and if they want to come pick up the order. Of course, the manager there is also ready for these people. While he may not know where you actually live, he does say "Sir, I would advise checking your bag before leaving to make sure everything is there", and it's loud enough so the employees around witness him saying this. Because you know later on, this SC will call in and state how rude and unprofessional he was treated.

Comment

Discrimination must really be though for you guys over there. I rarely encounter anything like that in europe. I dunno why... maybe its just the wars that were going on, make it less obvious and more a secret thing.
                        http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                        Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                          Ocala, which is an hour north-ish of me, is home to many retirement communities. When I was a RadioShack manager up there, I hated it when my customers came from a place called "On Top of the World" because they always meant trouble.

I am not stereotyping against old people. These people from that place thought they were better than everyone, always complained, were NEVER satisfied. They bought merchandise, only to return it just before the 30-day return policy. Always. I kept a log to show my DM. He, unfortunately, wouldn't let me do anything about it.
                          I had to take their crap with a big smile, and my P&L would suffer.

Bah...
                          Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Quoth Panigg View Post
                            Discrimination must really be though for you guys over there. I rarely encounter anything like that in europe. I dunno why... maybe its just the wars that were going on, make it less obvious and more a secret thing.

Really? I seem to remember a Catholic/Protestant thing in the British Isles, the French government freaking out over non-french words being introduced into the language, and this report detailing that 22% of Europeans have personally seen a discriminatory act.

There are idiots everywhere. Our idiots just are not as polite about it.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Some of the pizza places here have refused to deliver to certain neighborhoods after dark. Too many of their drivers have been robbed or shot and they're tired of it. Didn't stop the residents from complaining about "racism." It wasn't a race issue, simply that the drivers didn't want to get shot!
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X