This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's free(slight language)

Alright, Ill begin by saying I work at Hy-Vee. It sucks. Now on with the story.

Our scanning department likes to slack alot and the cashiers have to deal with the brunt of this. A woman comes through the register with a bunch of groceries and stuff. Among these is a candle. Now this is my first clue that I'm dealing with an SC. These candles are free with a coupon if you buy three gretting cards. They also have this little tab that can be ripped off(by the store if they don't want to have to honor the coupon sent out by the company that makes the candles) This tab says FREE with coupon Now this tab is not a coupon, it has no barcode. I try to explain this to the woman but of wourse she has none of it, saying it says it's free, blah blah blah.

I finally got fed up with it and called a manager, he said go ahead and let her use this tab as a coupon. I shrugged and go to scan it. Now this is where the scanning depratment comes in. They haven't scanned the item into stock, it isn't techinically for sale but we always just ask the price and ring it up anyway, but the store still needs to know that something that value left the store or it comes out of my paycheck. This is what ensues.

Me:...ugh
    Lady: take a chill pill and use your brain

Me: Ma'am do you know how much this costs?
    Lady: It doesn't matter, it's free.
    Me: I know ma'am, it will be but-
    Lady: It's free just scan it through!
    Me: It isn't ringing up in the system I need to know the pri-
    Lady: It doesn't matter anyway it's free!

At this point I'm getting ever so slightly agitated at her not letting me finish my sentences while I'm trying to explain to her that I can not just give it to her like that, but that the store needs to know that something of that price left the store. Now, when I get agitated I keep my cool but my demeanor changes, I stop smiling I don't talk much, and the tone of my voice changes, VERY SLIGHTLY, to the point where people realize I'm getting agitated and realize they're making complete asses out of themselves. Not so in this case.

Me:Ma'am, I know it's free, but-
    Lady: DON"T YOU RAISE YOUR VOICE TO ME! NOW IT"S FREE!

yes, the slight change in tone was percieved as her that I was yelling. This lady either has super sensitive ears or more likely is a total B*&@%
    After this I shut my mouth and gave up trying to explain and be civil with her. I called my manager over explained and he caved(like they always do) and gave it to her without letting it be registered in the system. I quietly and I'll admit a little roughly finished scanning the lady through. Not rough in that anything was damaged, but rough in that I used more force than is necesary to do the job.
    As the lady finishes paying she mutters about how I don't know how to do my job or some s&!%.

These are the times when I wish I could speak my mind, because I would have loved to have told that woman what I thought of her, and then explain very loudly the store policy and explain to her why she was being a b!%^$ and that if she ever shopped their again she could expect that I would not deal with her, but alas, it's Hy-Vee, where the store director and all the higher ups have surronded themselves with friends and care nothing for the people that actually do all the work and make the store run, and so if I had done anything, even muttering under my breath that she obviously has no idea what my job entails, I'd be jobless and wouldn't get a a good reccomendation after I'm out of this crappy place to work.

If any of you know of a job where if a customer is being excessively rude, you can tell them that you aren't going to deal with it, and then move on to help someone more friendly. Please, let me know, because this hell-hole I work at now is literally draining me physically, emotionally, and mentally. I've litearlly walked out the front doors and started crying, both in frustration of what I've had to deal with and in joy that the day is finally over. Please, tell me.
    We Pick Up the Pieces

There, There (tm)

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortunate encounter with the uptight bitch from hell.

In the pharmacy at CVS, 99.9% of our customers are very down-to-earth and understanding. As for the remaining 0.1%, whenever they get belligerent, I usually have some sort of rule, regulation, of federal law to back me up, as opposed to simple store policy. Pharmacy is the most regulated profession out there, having more rules, regs, and laws governing it than any other profession.

So, for the 0.1% who choose to be an ass with me, I state the law/rule/whatever that prohibits me from doing what they want, explain it is a federal or state law or regulation, and that shuts up most of them. The really evil ones end up getting referred to the pharmacist on duty at the time, who will explain to them everything I did and then some more, because they're in charge of the place... SC's and all.

They get paid the big bucks, I do not. Let them deal with the hellspawn.

Comment

Poor d962831. And just what everyone needs, an additional stressor on top of an already stressful time of year. Apparently she never checked the definition of yelling.
      I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

ha...haha...hahahahaha. Is it bad that I'm laughing? I'm sorry, I'm sure you all have alot of stress, but whenever someone tells me anything about stress I have to laugh because I'm so sure they don't understand it as I do. I'm wrong of course I know, there's so many different kinds, but I just can't help laughing. I'm sorry if that offends you, it wasn't intended to, I just can't help it....oh, what's wrong with me?
        We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

I know how you feel. It's tough, but you gotta keep your head up. While you still have this, look around for a new job. I'll give you some advice: stay FAR away from call centers.
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

yeah, I've been looking, but for some reason there's nowhere in my town where someone under 18 can work that you don't have to deal with customers, so I have to wait. Thanks for the tip too.
            We Pick Up the Pieces

Comment

Quoth d962831 View Post

If any of you know of a job where if a customer is being excessively rude, you can tell them that you aren't going to deal with it, and then move on to help someone more friendly. Please, let me know, because this hell-hole I work at now is literally draining me physically, emotionally, and mentally. I've litearlly walked out the front doors and started crying, both in frustration of what I've had to deal with and in joy that the day is finally over. Please, tell me.
              I know! Mine!
              I'm too tired and lazy to find the thread I posted this in so I'll give you the jist of my most recent, "Don't come back to see me," story.

Four guys want a mattress for a certain price, under a certain name.
              Mattresses with that name don't come in the price they want it.
              Long conversation where they demean me and insult me in Portuguese, saying I don't speak English, which I do, as it's my first and only language; and I speak it very well, thank you.
              They decide to take the mattress but their card declines.
              They need to sort out what they want to do since they have no other form of payment, so I ask them to move the mattress back into the store so I can serve other customers.
              Weeeeell, one of them decided to call me a bitch, so in front of plenty of people who had been observing the whole exchange I responded quite loudly (I project very well) with, "You know what? When you and your little friends figure out what you're doing don't even think about coming through my line again. Not after pulling that shit."
              That much is verbatim, since I remember all of my finer moments in life with clear detail.

The customer behind them did a little, "Ooooooooo," and laughed as they walked away.
              I was satisfied, the customer behind them was overly amused, and when I told my manager about it she said I did a good thing, since I don't get paid to be called names and treated like crap.

Damn straight.

Comment

Working...
              X