This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepay Outrage!

Ok, I posted this sometime before the pre-hack of this site a couple of years ago and am writing this story again. (Mods, do please copy to war stories if needed)

Around the middle of January of 2004, I came in to work for my 3rd shift when I found a note from my manager that all pumps are on prepay until further notice (apparently had too many drive-offs on that day, pissed the manager off so he made all the pumps prepay until he decides he isn't pissed off anymore) and all the pumps had signs on them that read "cash users prepay only".

A couple of hours into the shift, a guy in a van pulls up to pump #2 which faces out from my station. He gets out of the van and pulls the pump handle and flips it on.

So I just stood there just betting on how long it'll take for him to notice the sign and come in to prepay it.

10 minutes passes (boy is he slow! )

So the guy finally gets the idea to come into the store to find out what's taking so long for his pump to turn on.

Legend:

A: Asshole
    Me: Yours Truly

A: "Hey! What's up with the pump?? It's not coming on!"

Me: "There's a sign on the pump sir that reads, 'Prepay only.'"

A: "What? Prepay??? That's bullshit!"

Me: "I'm sorry sir, but I got a note here from my manager that all pumps are on prepay only until further notice."

A: "Aw come on! Just turn on the pump! The manager isn't gonna know the difference. He isn't here now is he??"

Me: "See the cameras here sir? No sir, unless I have a strong desire to get fired, I'm not turning the pump on. Plus he checks the security cams everyday, so he will know."

So he gets pissed off and leaves the store. He pulls the pump handle out and slams it back in place on the pump. He then gets in his van and drives off.

Now, the station I work in is like a booth, but a bit bigger. The station looks a bit like this.

Now I am facing the cooler and outside of my station in the next building is where the bathrooms are as well as the storage and manager's office.

Anyway, the van stops right behind the station where I can't see him and I figured he's gonna use the bathroom.

A couple of customers later, I see the van peeling out of there like a bat out of hell. So I'm wondering what's up with that. I pull the electronic key out of the register and proceeded to exit out of the side door.

As I am walking towards the next building, I see water running out of the men's bathroom. So I'm thinking, "Oh fuggin' great! He plugged the toilet with some TP and flushed it, flooding the floor! That fuggin' S.O.B.!!!"

So I opened the door, lo and behold, he did a hell of alot more than that!

He kicked open the cold valve underneath the sink that made the cold water come gushing out.

But that's not all, he kicked over the toilet, tore off the TP dispenser, paper towel dispenser, both the TP and paper towels was strewed all over the bathroom. You know that expression, "everything but the sink"?, well, he tore that off too!

The gushing water also hit the built in wall heater and fizzled it out completely.

What makes matters worse, as I said earlier, it's in the middle of January, but it's also 10 degrees below zero! So the water was freezing almost immediately.

So I ran back inside the station, grabbed the store room key and went inside to try to locate the shut off valve. I couldn't find one, so I'm thinking, "What sort of idiot that designed this building NOT to include an emergency shut off valve???"

So I ran back into the station and called the manager and explained my situation.

He told me to try the public utility shut off valve. So I did and to my dismay it requires a special metric tool that only the public utility worker has them. It's not available for the public for security reasons.

So I called the manager back and he told me there's nothing I can do about it. It'll just have to run all night until a utility worker comes in to turn it off. He said he would call it in, but they probably won't show up until daybreak.

In the meantime he told me to call the cops and get a damage report wrote up. After I gave the cop the best description of the van and the asshole, he left me a copy of the report along with the case number. The camera never did get his license plate number and it was too far away from me to see it for me to visually tag it.

The public utility worker guy did show up around 6:30 AM and turned it off. My manager called in for a plumber after he disgustedly inspected the damage.

The plumber showed up and he opens the bathroom door, gets his fill of shocks and walks back to the truck to pull out a hammer. The reason for that was because the bathroom is now an ice cave. he had to hammer his way into the bathroom in order to get to the valve.

All in all, the damage consisted of thousands of dollars to fix and replace everything that got damaged just because some asshole got pissed off that he has to prepay!
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

We need to build some huge, HUGE free mental hospitals and "invite" people like that to check in ... indefinitely. That man is just broken ... something totally wrong with him.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Wow.. that is just... Wow....
      Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

Comment

I remember this story from previous incarnations. And I still picture in my head someone throwing that bad of a temper tantrum that they feel the need to completly fubar other peoples property because they can't get their way....fuggen ingrate's
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

man...i wish gas prices were back to what they were in that picture you posted ><;;
          Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

Comment

I remember this story, but I still have the same reaction.

Wow. And a big .

At least I don't throw temper tantrums like THAT.
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
              I remember this story, but I still have the same reaction.
              I also remember this story, but for some reason I thought it was one of Blas' cusstomers.
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Now only if gas prices were the same today as in that picture....

Comment

I remember this story!

I just got the chills thinking about it. Barnacles, some people are just beyond help, even free help. Some people need a one-way trip to Jupiter.

Primer: My gas station was never pre-pay, and the closest to a war story I'll ever have is the guy who threw beer bottles at the windows when we started closing early on Sunday nights......
                  You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Wow, I think someone has some deep seeded issues that he needs to take care of...

Maybe he read too many Hulk comics.

"You mean I have to prepay? MORON SMASH!"
                    Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Pre-pay - No-pay

Come on, this idiot never planned to pay for his gas at all. After-all he talks to the clerk and instead of paying some money tries to talk him into turning on the pumps. Why bother if he is planning to pay in the first place? This was another want to be hit and run gas thief.

Comment

I know that older people always have had more issues with change (I'm notting trying to be agist with that, simply pointing out that the longer someone has done something the harder it is to change and older people have been doing things a lot longer than most of us youngins), but seriously, even my grandma who refused to get any new tech because the old ways worked fine didn't have any problem with pre-pay... hell she even though pay at the pump was one of the best ideas ever, now she didn't have to walk as far.

and as a youngin I cannot understand this whole thing against prepay... it protects the gas station and makes sure I don't purchase more than I can afford... I guess i just don't get it...
                        If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Seriously?! How can anyone own a gas station but not have their security cameras focus in on driver's license plates. He was around the back yes but he had his van at the pump just a little earlier. That's a real wtf company store there.
                          Broadcasting to you live from the nerve center of my brain..... szzzt *we are currently experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by*

Comment

I do remember this story. Hopefully, that jerk eventually ticked off the wrong person and got his arse handed to him good!
                            Quoth allniter View Post
                            Seriously?! How can anyone own a gas station but not have their security cameras focus in on driver's license plates. He was around the back yes but he had his van at the pump just a little earlier. That's a real wtf company store there.
                            In more ways than one. Not just the cameras, but why wasn't there an easily accessible water shutoff valve, so the whole frozen mess could've been avoided?! Very poor store design. I certainly hope Yizuman didn't get into any trouble because of that incident.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I remember that story as well. That man has severe anger management problems, among others.

RB

Comment

Working...
                              X