This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, but I can't be in two places at the same time

Day after Christmas. I am alone in the department from 6PM until close because no one else was scheduled. It gets busy. A surefire recipe for trouble.

Anyway, I was busy checking in a customer's computer for a virus removal. When checking in a computer, there is a fairly long procedure that must be followed. I need the customer's contact info, the model and serial numbers off the computer, plus I need to inspect the machine and note any damage or missing parts and perform a boot check to see if it will boot, THEN actually enter in the work the customer wants done. This takes a while to do.

While I was checking the computer in, one of the office supply guys told me a customer needed assistance in the computer aisle. I told him to tell guy that I was with another customer and that I would be with him as soon as possible. Shortly afterwards I had the computer checked in and had taken the customer over to register 1 to get her rung out and the paperwork endorsed. Total time since I was told about the other customer: under 5 minutes.

Just as I am finished with my first customer, but before I can turn around, I hear a guy SCREAMING behind me.

SC: I GUESS YOU DON'T WANT TO DO ANY BUSINESS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Me *turning around*: I'm sorry?

SC: I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR HELP, AND YOU HAVE BEEN IGNORING ME!!

Me *calmly but firmly*: Sir, I was with another customer, and I am the only person in the department tonight.

SC: WELL YOU COULD HAVE DONE SOME BUSINESS BUT APPARENTLY YOU DON'T KNOW YOUR JOB SO I'M GOING ELSEWHERE. BYE!!!!!!

*SC heads towards the door, then spots the general manager*

SC: ARE YOU THE MANAGER???? *doesn't wait for an answer* YOU NEED TO TELL YOUR EMPLOYEES HOW TO DO THEIR JOBS!!!!!! HE *points to me* WOULD NOT HELP ME AND JUST COST YOU A CUSTOMER!!!!! *storms out*

Me:

Thankfully, several good things happened after that. First, the manager immediately realized that this guy was full of it after I explained what happened. Also, the OS guy witnessed the whole thing and backed me up. And - even better - all the customers who witnessed the event who I helped subsequently made a point of telling me that they were not concerned with having to wait for me and that they knew I was doing my best.

Still, that guy was a complete asshole, and five would get you ten that if I had gotten to him before he flipped out, he would have bought a computer with ZERO attachment items, thus earning us NO money at all.
    Last edited by Dave1982; 12-29-2007, 06:02 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

I was apparently expected to be in more than two places once. It happened at the home improvements store. I'm not exactly sure how it happened, possibly some scheduling glitch, or people having to call out unexpectedly. At any rate, I ended up being the only person on the floor, and was expected to cover every single department when I barely knew my own. There was some equipment I had no idea how to work, like the paint mixer, but luckily no one needed any paint that night.

What did happen was I was running from one corner of the store to another, like the proverbial chicken with its head cut off. I'd go to check something for one customer, when another one would want something. After I was about five customers deep, another one wanted something, and I told her, probably not as politely as I should have, that I was already helping five other customers, and I'd get to her when I could.

I had just gotten maybe two of those customers taken care off, when I heard a page for me to call the manager. Apparently the other customer had complained, because he asked me if I had told a customer that I was already helping five other customers. I told him yes I did, because I was trying to help five other costumers. With that, his tone changed, and he said, "Oh, OK. Go take care of them."

Well, that's what I was trying to do when you interrupted me, dumbass! If you're really concerned about it, how about dragging your lazy ass out of the office and helping me!

No, I didn't actually say that, but damn, I wanted to!
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Some people need to get the word patience beaten into their heads with a ten foot pole. D:

It's rainin', rainin', on the streets of New York City.

Comment

Quoth Liminality View Post
        Some people need to get the word patience beaten into their heads with a ten foot pole. D:

Actually, management needs to stop the short staffing and put enough people on the chedule so that employees are there in sufficient numbers to help customers and not running around trying to help 5 people at once.

we all know that isn't going to heppen though.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          because I was trying to help five other costumers.
          Even though this was a typo, you couldn't have been more accurate Mad Mike.
          This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
            five would get you ten that if I had gotten to him before he flipped out, he would have bought a computer with ZERO attachment items, thus earning us NO money at all.
            Nah, he'd just waste your time with a bunch of questions about a computer and leave without purchasing one, still earning you no money at all.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth bigjimaz View Post
              Even though this was a typo, you couldn't have been more accurate Mad Mike.
              Damn, I guess that's what I get for posting when I've just come back from the bar.

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                Damn, I guess that's what I get for posting when I've just come back from the bar.

No doubt you needed to be at the bar after putting up with the tattletale and the oh-so-helpful manager.

WTF is wrong with telling someone that they are helping 5 other people and will be with them ASAP? How is that tattle-worthy?

I'm sure that particular customer got LOTS of help from you after that.
                "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                  No doubt you needed to be at the bar after putting up with the tattletale and the oh-so-helpful manager.
                  I certainly could have used it, but this particular incident happened when I was only 20 (i.e. not old enough for the bar), which was roughly 18 years ago. I moved onto to greener, customer-free pastures not too long afterwards.

Interestingly enough, the company went out of business a couple years later, and my former manager tried to get a manager job at one of our competitors. Unfortunately for him, none of them hired managers right off the street. I ran into him a few years ago at Lowe's. He's a lowly salesperson, just as I was.

I hope someone had him trying to take care of five customers at once.

Comment

Working...
                  X