This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with numbers

Hello all, I've been enjoying your stories for a while and thought I'd share a couple of my own.
    I provide Tier 1 tech support to a three-letter government agency (not one of the cool ones, mind you) and basically all I do is write up trouble tickets and reset passwords. Sometimes I get to tell a caller to take the floppy disk out when they get a "Non-system disk or disk error" because apparently I am some sort of genius (actually had a customer call me that). Anyway, I was resetting this woman's password and the random password generator always creates an all-caps password with some numbers and punctuation mixed in.

ME: All right, ma'am, I've got your temporary password here. All of the letters are capitalized.
    SC: okay...
    ME: We got A like apple...

... I always spell out passwords phonetically since B sounds like C, D, E, G, P, etc. I tried using the Military phonetic alphabet at first, but then people started to wonder why their passwords were 50 characters long. Anyway, skip to the punchline...

SC: Okay, so you said it was all capitalized?
    ME: Yes, ma'am.
    SC: Is the 5 capitalized?
    ME: o_O... Ma'am... you can't capitalize a number...
    SC:*click*

This next story comes courtesy of my father-in-law who does Tech support for an ISP.

SC: yeah, when I try to type in my log in name, none of the numbers come up.
    Dad: Okay, do you use the number pad to type your numbers?
    SC: Yeah.
    Dad: Is the num lock on?
    SC: $h!* *click*

Quoth Speedy View Post
    I tried using the Military phonetic alphabet at first, but then people started to wonder why their passwords were 50 characters long.
    I just had to rewind a film because I missed some due to laughing too much...

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
    X